Guys don't buy this game other than from STEAM, non-Steam versions cannot be installed without app store and don't work on LTSC/LTSB

I bought through steam, however one advantage of buying though the MS Store is that the game can be played on the xBox in the future without additional purchase in the future.

So you really can’t claim their is “zero” advantage to buy from the MS Store, when clearly there is for so e people. Otherwise, I agree. Steam was my choice.

4 Likes

Not everyone has an xbox or wants to get on Console, I don’t. I’m specifically comparing two PC versions… Apples to oranges.

Not to mention the much better customer service and refund policy when going through Steam. Funny that no one wants to touch on this and all the bickering about how only 5% of people use LTSC, but I’d reckon a lot more than that have went into gpedit or used PS scripts to disable or remove the Windows Store and all the Apps crap.

@ MarkGX88

Plenty of folks upgrade to Windows 10 because that is the only choice now. But LTSC is supported for TEN years as per Microsoft policy… Windows 7 isn’t supported anymore…

But the main point is Windows 10 has DirectX12, and RTX and other stuff depends on DX12 that isn’t available in Windows7/8 simply because those older OS only support up to DX11.X etc…

But there is no reason why one needs the “Windows Store” to play PC games… other than Microsoft monopoly and hegemony trying to force everyone to associate with their xbox stuff… Having “Windows Store” does not magically give me more fps or bump me up to DirectX13 etc…

But the fact is Steam version of FS2020 doesn’t have these limitations, don’t require one to use the Windows Store or to have the Windows Store or go through the Windows Store… Plus the advantages to refunds and flexibility that Microsoft does NOT offer.

It has a 10 year cycle because it is not on the same update paths. Most times it is at least a year out of date because it is designed for corporate use and gives ITs a chance to integrate updates with internal software. The average target audience would not even run it.

I just don’t understand why you threw in the statement for a version of windows that most people are not even aware of.

Steam has its advantages yes but so does the MS version. As you said, you don’t care about cross platform but others might. Ultimately it comes down to personal choice and telling people they should only buy from steam based on your preferences for use really doesn’t help anyone who may not realize they can use cross platform.

Not to mention steam takes 30% off the top so I bought through MS simply because more money will go to the devs. More money=greater profits=longer support for sim and more money for them to invest in future terrain/feature updates.

Basically it comes down to personal choice. Buy where you want.

4 Likes

@ AZRedneck33

Your response is reasonable I understand your stance.

Though to be fair, the 30% cut works both ways… PMDG and FSLabs don’t appreciate they will have to pay the M$FT tax now when in previous versions of Flight Simulator it was free… Some developers like Hi-Sim have been completely locked out, and the public SDK documentation is only 15% finished AT BEST.

Steam is not the only one getting in on this skimming 30% off the top thing, Microsoft tried to do this with FLIGHT back in 2012; it flopped because back then none of the third party devs jumped on board, but Steam is a mature and popular platform and most PC gamers already are on it, its not like they need to start a new account. I would venture to guess more PC gamers are on Steam than are on Xbox, and for these folks, going with Steam reduces one more point of failure and they don’t have to worry about issues with the Windows Store… since the Steam version of FS2020 bypasses the need to have or use a Windows Store at all.

What Msft “tax”?

I mean, I guess you’re not technically wrong… But I bet you’re the only one on this forum whos running LTSC… lol

wombatlemineur

The Microsoft tax is referring to the fact that in the new FS2020 if 3rd party devs want to make available their addons they will have to pay MSFT 30% cut of the revenues…

In all other previous versions of Flight Simulator this wasn’t the case. When you bought the PMDG 777 for FSX or PMDG 737/747 for FS9, Microsoft never got a cut. Now in FS2020 they want a cut for everything.

What made PC so great in the Bill Gates days was anyone can develop for it, and you didn’t have to pay Microsoft for every time you sold a copy of your software. Now the reason MSFT is pushing the “Windows Store” is they want to make the easy money Apple and Google does with their App Stores, so Microsoft is trying to retroactively turn your PC into a smartphone business model without the benefits to the consumer… (and plenty of downsides! why do I need a charms bar in a Server OS!) If you publish a PC app in the Windows Store, Microsoft now gets a cut…
Its pure Avarice

It is not 30%. In fact it has not been disclosed so now you are exaggerating. Why would they not if everyone else is doing it? They are a business after all. If you don’t adapt to the current trends you’ll sink.

In order to load the game you have to have a MS account. You realize steam is just used as a payment source right. That is why it switches to the ms installer anyway.

3rd party developers should have to pay something if they are making money off someone else’s base. MS likely had to pay for license costs to include aircraft so again it is all a matter of choice.

I don’t disagree with you but I do disagree with throwing out a statement that people should only buy from steam.
Also if you look at MS roadmap for windows and oneOS the plans in the future should make it possible to run any windows game from any device. I would expect a mobile version as well in the future considering in the new tech build of Windows you can run Android apps.

Again just personal choice sir. No flaming or disrespect meant. I like in depth, sane discussions.

Source for that? You’re aware over 700 studios signed up for marketplace? (Source Q&A asobo) Do you think any studio at all would sign up if they lost 30% of the revenue per sale? They would sell in their own store or via their website. Something doesn’t add up here.Also, there would be a massive backlash everywhere if that was the case.

@ AZRedneck33

No way a mobile version of FS2020 is coming out soon, people can barely get decent frames on the RTX2080Ti… I have this card and at 4k it is unplayable… the 4k trailer was rendered on something other than just a single RTX2080Ti… its not representative of 99.99% of real use cases

Now to the point of running this on a smartphone? only way is if they reduce the graphics by 90% or host it on Google’s Stadia with the Google Maps.

If they’ve already stripped the MS Store from their system, they clearly know they do not have the option to use the windows store for download or purchase and would be using steam.

2 Likes

Wrong. I have a 1080ti and get easily 40-60 fps on my resolution maxed out.

@ wombatlemineur by the same logic, why would MSFT sell FS2020 on Steam? You are aware Steam charges 30% right?

Its because of the increased exposure

If Microsoft didn’t think the increased exposure on Steam is worth it they won’t have made it available on Steam platform

Likewise if PMDG or other devs don’t feel the increased exposure on the FS Marketplace is worth it, they don’t have to publish it there…

You are probably playing at 1080p
I’m talking about 4k as advertised in the trailer as “4k in real time”

Again, where is the source? Please post the source stating that it’s 30%.

30% is the standard the big guys like the Orbx and PMDG of the world can sign contracts to negotiate better rates… but the fact is even with FLIGHT it was 30%…

Nobody plays sims in 4k res with anything less than 2080ti SLI and a 5.3 ghz 10 core monster @ 30 fps or below, so don’t act like this is even remotely abnormal. No sim, be it Xplane or P3D performs great at 4k, P3D doing best there. Ms never advertised 2020 as being a 4k 60 fps sim or anything. They just wrote that the shown footage was in 4k, thats all and that says absolutely nothing beyond that statement.

Like yeah, I am one of those people uninstalling most of the preinstalled Windows apps through PowerShell, but I of course keep some necessary stuff like the Xbox Identity Provider, the Store and the Photos app. ^^ I deliberately bought this sim on the store and not steam, as I am not a big fan of steam and don’t have it installed on my machine anyway - unlike the MS Store. You need a Microsoft Account to play this game (Right?) and some ppl might not want to additionally create a steam account.

There are valid reasons to buy this on the MS Store and not on Steam!

Ok, so you have no source, you can’t factually prove your statement is objectively true. Case closed.