Has anyone got actual 5.1 surround sound

I think with audio technology getting more advanced, we probably end up not needing the extra .4 atmos speakers on the ceiling or the upfiring one anymore. I like the way Sony is heading with their 3D sound technologies.

Basically, our ears are only 2-channels, left and right. And the reason why we can point out the source of the sound is because our brain is doing the processing of the sound information coming from our ears 2 channels.

Sony researched this, and they can basically achieve the same spatial effect using only 2 channels by tweaking the way the sound is produced from those two speakers, ā€œtrickingā€ our brain to process that information as if itā€™s coming from above or behind us.

I think this is the future of audio technology. We would only need 2 speakers but the algorithm would be so advanced that we can practically hear sounds coming from behind us, thatā€™s actually coming from our sides.

1 Like

@Neo4316
I think Sony have pretty much always been ahead of the game in some way.

I remember back in the early 70ā€™s my dad(audio geek) was always playing with these old 8 track sound reels.
The fidelity of the sound was phenominal especially when he stuck on the one with the Boeing jet engine spooling up and shutting.

Then one day Iā€™m sitting outside with my friends and we hear thisā€¦ aherm, Jet spooling up but it was near deafening,
even outside. He had decided to fire the 8 track through a 100watt marshall stack head with 4 x12" cabinet.
Yeah, these were the days, just totally wayyyheyy.

Interesting concept what Sony are trying to do, mind you.

Edit: forgot to metion that the 8 track and the sound reels were Sony.

Part of the reason why Iā€™m locked in the Sony Ecosystem :grin:.
I have Sony Xperia Smarthone, Sony wireless noise cancelling headset, Sony TV (which I play my MSFS on), then Sony Atmos soundbar with rear speakers, etc. Hahaha.

I also have Sony Betamax, Sony VHS, Sony Cassette, Sony CD, Sony VCD, Sony DVD, Sony Blu-Ray player, and Sony Vinyl turntable players in my Hi-Fi rack. All in working condition. Hahaha.

I wouldnā€™t dare to askā€¦ dā€™you remember what they said about kaz the GT5 dev of the Sony console and the sounds?
Noā€¦ ā€œAll the cars sounded like vacuum cleanersā€.

Someone had posted a picture of a shop full of hoovers and with some chap standing with recording equipment, 6 foot mic boom and all.

Epicā€¦ rofl

Still havenā€™t got to grips with the drone camera to be honest.
I will try and look at your video at the weekend, donā€™t really get time to do much on week days.
Thanks.

Edit: nvm, my bad.

Yupā€¦ just look at Playstation :wink:

hmmmā€¦ typing a msg and when I hit reply, the post ends up with me quoting myself. :blush:

Hi, Iā€™ve just watched this video, and yes it does sweep to the rear speakers, thanks for confirming this for me.
I then dragged the file into cyberlink video editor and it doesnā€™t give me the option to tick the box to produce in 5.1 surround sound.
This is all very odd.

I got my son to put my head tracking headset on, I can confirm that in the cockpit turning head to look rearward does make the sound sweep to the rear speakers, but it doesnā€™t alter the volume from rear left to rear right. So looking towards rear right the volume at rear left is at the same level as rear right, but I guess this is asking to much.
I need to get to grips with the drone camera as this would help for my YouTube videos and then I can see if my external view is the same as the video I downloaded from Flobud.

Something you can try: Take the FBW A320 up in the air and let the autopilot fly. Now go to drone view and move the drone around. With a Dolby Atmos setup you can actually hear the sound come from above you if you move the drone below the aircraft.

I had a look at how to control the drone a few days ago, the sound definitely sweeps to the back speakers as I rotate around the aircraft, so surround sound is working.

2 Likes

Is 5.1 sound system supported in MSFS now, I do not seem to be hear it even though I have 5.1 sound system

I have a surround system too. Make sure spatial audio is set to ON in in-game audio settings.

I think it was the Sound Blaster X4 not working as it should, because it turns out the sound card I have already in my computer has 5.1 and 7.1 and I could tell how the engine sounds shifted to that back behind me

You need to make sure that your Windows sound setting is set to have a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker channels setup. If the Windows sound setting is set to Stereo, no matter whether you have good sound card or enough speakers, any sounds will be forced to go out as stereo. So make sure your windows audio settings are correct.

Spatial Audio in the settings refer to Dolby Atmos or DTS:X sound format coming out of your system. You need the appropriate decoder installed and a compatible speaker system to be able to use it, and you also need to choose Dolby Atmos in your Windows speaker settings instead of the typical 7.1 speakers. So if you turn it on without the right tools installed, it would actually sound worse even in a typical 7.1 surround speaker setup because it canā€™t read the object-based sound correctly making you have an imbalance of loudness coming from your speakers.

If you set up using a typical 7.1 surround setup, as long as you have your windows sound setting set to 7.1 Spatial Sound option in MSFS should be turned off for the best listening experience.

So Dolby Atmos speakers and windows setting + Spatial Sound in MSFS option is the best sound experience. But having Spatial Sound on in MSFS without the appropriate speakers and windows setting actually sounds a lot worse than having it off.

I found out the aircraft I am using does not support 5.1 so I do not need it anymore.

Which aircraft is that?

PMDG does not do 5.1. I could have a 5.1 system, but having 5 speakers does not mean the sound was recorded that way. I did find putting my front speakers behind me because the engine sounds in the 737 are usually behind the pilot. So it has a nicer effect. I fly the C310 as well but have not tried it. Those are the only 2 aircraft I fly in MSFS.

Really? I could have sworn that when I move my camera around in my 5.1 setup the audio sources move along with the camera movement in my PMDG 737.

You probably need to be aware that engine noise isnā€™t necessarily coming from ā€œbehind youā€ this is because the sound vibrates through the fuselage and into the cockpit. So the engine noise could have been reflected and reverberate to around you and sound different compared to when you have a clear air between an audio source and your ears.

A good way to test is to switch to external cam and make sure your engine is running. Then use a drone camera to move your camera around, placing the engine noise source to the sides and behind you. If your rear speakers are not working at all, thereā€™s probably an issue with your Windows sound mode. I know for a fact that my Windows speakers are constantly switching back to Stereo mode on its own without my knowledge and when that happens, my rear speakers just stopped working entirely. So I had to manually switch 5.1 on again and it works again, including in MSFS.

But if you move the camera around and the audio source is placed correctly in your speaker setup, chances are you should be good to go. And whatever sound and their placement that you hear in the cockpit, is probably the correct one already.