Have they fixed the Bush Trips in SU 6?

Well, I don’t know how you found Bodad Airstrip (CA11) from leg 18 :slight_smile:

This is where experience in VFR navigation is key. There are tricks and “rules of thumb” that we have used for decades. The single most important and most relevant to flying in MSFS is “confirmation, confirmation, confirmation”. No visual landmark is unique. But three landmarks in the right spots simultaneously is getting close.

If I am looking for a river/creek junction and am flying along the river, there can be a dozen creek inflows that fit the bill. If I combine that creek with a ridgeline and a mountain peak or a combination of river bends and maybe a count of three creeks since the road bridge…

You get the idea. Find three or more confirmation points that you can use to confirm a landmark. If at all unsure if you are looking at the right landmark, pull out your map and look for other details you can use. Sometimes it is a road junction 3 miles at 256 degrees. Fly there and look. If it is there then find three tings to confirm it is the junction you were looking for. Yes? Then that landmark 3 miles back was the right one. Off you go.

NEVER trust a single identifiable landmark. If you can’t confirm it with at least three other identifiable features you could wind up lost, quick. No big deal flying over the flatlands but turn up the wrong mountain valley and…

FYI:
If you are at all serious about wanting to fly “unassisted” VFR, I cannot recommend getting paper maps, of the are you want to fly, enough. Drawing the track and turns and marking landmarks along the route is an absolute must, not to mention enjoyable.

1 Like

All great advice. When using LNM as my ‘VFR map’ I can do just that - look for the general shape of river junctions, roads, even the ‘shape’ of towns, then figure out what the author was describing in the navlog reference to the map itself, rather than what I see out of the window - some small streams in-sim can be hard to spot when they’re in a valley surrounded by trees. But in conjunction with other features it’s usually possible to get your position. Then based on the map, figure out the next heading, what you need to overfly or pass left/right of, and then adjust course as needed.
(With LNM we are perhaps a bit spoiled by the fact we can even zoom in and see individual buildings in the OSM data, and match that with the building shapes seen from above.)

Terrain relief and contour lines on the map is another big help, in hilly areas. Especially to give yourself a distant target before the smaller details come into view.

I’ve always enjoyed VFR navigation. As for being serious about it; I’ve spent much of the last 10 years wanting to take flight simming more seriously, but lack of time & willpower in the evenings, and an eagerness to do some flying instead of reading/watching/learning about new topics, tends to result in my experience growing organically as my hopes & dreams wander with time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The name isn’t familiar, so I don’t think I quite made it that far before I got stuck! Some of the airfields were challenging to identify even if the route was straightforward. The airfield images at the end of the navlog certainly helped though!

1 Like

I enjoy both types of bush flying. VFR Pilotage and Navigation aids. The problem is that pilotage and GPS both are broken in any bush trips at the moment. You don’t get a completion at the end of the leg. So it doesn’t matter if you are using dead reckoning, pilotage, charts, sectionals, GPS, Autopilot. Once you land, the leg completion is not being triggered.

For those of us who enjoy bush trips, that makes it frustrating. It needs to be fixed along with a myriad of other issues being reported by the community here about bush trips.

Brad

4 Likes

I would acknowledge if Bush Trips in general would come with an attached pdf document for preparing to the flight in advance. This could just be a copy of the Navlog, in an exquisite form accompoanied by the images, and it should include a map. Given all info is there as such, it shouldn’t be hard to produce such a pdf.

Aside one or two exceptions, even the Bush Trip Addons I bought came without such documentation, at best they included a (usually poor) map.

Maybe a clever soul could even make a tool to extract the information automagically to a pdf.

4 Likes

I like that idea a lot. It’d be nice to print it out to both remove all the extra information from my screen and for the extra immersion using physical maps and charts provides. Plus, for me anyways, it gets annoying when I use the mouse to update the VFR map which makes my rudders and stick quit responding until I mouse back onto the game screen, sometimes leading to a jarring yaw effect because my feet are still in the same position I started in.

Not fixed already?? i can’t fly the bush trip activity like many people, what the devs are doing exept breaking the simulator??!!!

1 Like

Not a lot, it turns out :joy:

1 Like

Easy guys . Those guys don’t like criticism

1 Like

If they’re not fixed in SU7, we might not see them updated until SU8/LATE FEBRUARY 2022.

They’re going to lose a ton of users if they’re not fixed sooner. The issue is large enough to warrant its own hot fix.

3 Likes

Cautiously optimistic…got POIs, nav, and completion in the first leg I tried :crossed_fingers:

1st leg is always fine for me

I just loaded up my current leg of the Balkans trip and still no POI or Nav. Completion might be fixed but the VFR map route and POI markers arent

1 Like

Nope you’re right - nav and markers still broken on leg 2. sigh…

They’re aware and working on it.

Possible workaround: load the first leg or any previously completed leg. The route and POI markers should appear.

Quit, then load the leg you want to fly. The POIs and Nav line are now visible. It worked for me twice yesterday on Nevada. YMMV

1 Like

Does anyone know if they fixed the bushtrip for XBox ? I´m stil waiting to continue - LGAK is out of order…I do want to fly to the next Airport to finish this trip after weeks now !!

It is very well possible to do so as I did many bush trips like the Nevada one due to the problem out of necessity. And it worked!!

Okay, it’s way more difficult, but not that impossible. And no, you can fly it at your own speed. But of course, you have to remember the info well, and most importantly fly the direction it was asked to fly from POI to POI.

Just give it a try. And the Nevada one is a good practice training that will give you what you need to know how to do it in the other bush trips too. But yes, having good information is primordial!!

Yes that is the way I have found out how to do them .
The only thing is you get a useless entry in your logbook of 0 takeoffs and landings

Yes I have done those trips by using the Nav log and the headings given and the stop watch .
But I find that you end up concentrating on adjusting your heading bug and watching the stop watch so much you miss a lot of the scenery and landmarks . I would rather use the AP and hit the Nav button and let the AP do the work , then just sit back and watch the scenery .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.