Have you survived a bug related emergency and landed successfully?

So I had a long flight from Memphis to Phoenix… I had a really nice flight via the A.I. but I seem to have an A.I. bug where it just ignores the flight plan, just about the PAYSO waypoint it decides to think the flight plan is to Blythe, California! (this has happened 3 times)… but that is not the bug I am referring to…I took the plane off of A.I. so I could turn towards Phoenix…and I realized I no longer had control of the engines… the Hotas could control direction but the throttle did nothing… without A.I. they would drop to about 57% and with A.I. I think about 80%…,. so two speeds… so about 15 - 25 miles out, just north of Scottsdale, I through the flaps all the way out, and dropped the landing gear, I was flying a Cessna Cirrus jet… but then it would show me to about 145 knots… so I would go back to A.i. let it climb a bit about 4000’ and about 250 knots… I would bounce back and forth between flaps and no AI to no flaps and AI… all the way until I had made a final turn about 4 miles west of the ball park… the again did the toggle, and then about 1 mile out, no AI, flaps, gear and I landed, then just stood on the brakes and it finally stopped even though the engines showed 57% …I pretended in my mind that the fire trucks were on the way and EMTs… I powered off the plane and it logged the flight lol!

Tell us all about your bug related emergency landing???

2 Likes

I managed to trigger what I assume was a bug, related to fuel flow/burn, while tinkering with the cameras for the Big Radials Goose. I was using dev. mode to reload the plane so that the cameras worked better, swapping the inverted ones etc.

After a quick flight I noticed that I had ran out of fuel. I noticed that when I cheated in some extra fuel it was burning 1% every second or so. :slight_smile:

Since I was in a seaplane, and over the water, it wasn’t the most exciting emergency landing, but I think it qualifies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s pretty funny! I have it always set to zero failures as I never thought I was good enough to handle anything real short of a stall, or a dead stick landing, but I can only imagine real failures especially fuel! hahha I bet a lot of people here have some good stories, so I thought this would be a good thread :smiley: Thank you for responding Hobanagerik!

1 Like

Not a bug, but running out of fuel, yes.

1 Like

how was your landing?

1 Like

Yes, I was flying the Longitude when all my cockpit displays froze up. Altitude, heading, speed, glide slope information, all became stuck and useless. I did make a successful landing by twitching to external view, where much of this information was still displayed correctly.

2 Likes

very cool!! if MSFS2020 ever comes out with official pilot rating tests, they should add in bug related emergencies and how to handle… I just have not figured how to land successfully after a CTD! hahahha

2 Likes

Not a bug-related emergency, but one time I paused the sim, got distracted and left it there. Came back a few hours later and not surprisingly, the plane was out of fuel.
I was offshore by a few nm, but I trimmed for best glide speed and guided my way to a local road.

7 Likes

I bet the daylight had changed too? Maybe it was dark as well? now that would be a challenge!

I think it was dusk when I started it back up.
The street lights provide a challenge in the real world, but luckily in my scenario, no glowing orbs were hurt in my emergency landing. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

lol perfect!!

1 Like

Same here, but my running out of fuel was caused by a “pause” in which fuel still continues to be burned. I think that might qualify as a bug. :wink:

It was fun landing the 737 without any engines though, at some random airfield that was about half way to my original destination.

3 Likes

It would be cool if they could add an ATC Option for Mayday or the other emergency calls, and if you were landing at an airport to see EMTs coming out :smiley: Talk about realism!! and Squak 7700 (I think that is the emergency transponder code)

1 Like

Here’s the Wishlist topic for it:

3 Likes

Thank you for that link, ill read that thread :D. it seems just about everything ever wanted in the sim has been already thought of and wished for :D. Maybe even Santa’s workshop at the North Pole?

Not quite, but there’s this :slightly_smiling_face::

1 Like

A little bumpy. I was in Northern Michigan near the Mackinac Bridge at around 4,000ft AGL, when I ran out of fuel.
Found a little bare spot of ground and set it down. I was just entering a stall when I touched down. Was in a C-208.
That was all my fault. I forgot to fill the tanks before I took off.

1 Like

Kind of like the umm I think they were called MUDS in Doom? where you could in essence put a pic of your boss in the game and shoot at him lol

Lol so an Operator created bug! :smiley: Programmers call bugs, “Undocumented Features”. yours was and Undocumented Flight Plan entry :smiley:

1 Like

Why would the aircraft still consume fuel on pause? That sure does sound like a bug.
Good skills gliding that big ol’ thing into another airport.

1 Like