Hawaiian Islands as a world update

The scenery looks decent, but it could potentially be the most beautiful scenery in MSFS… plus all the island hopping you can do.

1 Like

Hawaii is basically forgotten in this sim. No airports that are worth a ■■■■ and most of the scenery is jacked. Over a year since release and there’s no commercial option for anything larger than a puddle jump airport either. :frowning:

There are a few 3rd party mid-size airports like Lihue Airport (PHLI) or Kahului Airport (PHOG). PHOG is the second largest and PHLI third in Hawaii, only Honolulu and maybe Kona are missing.

Where’s PHOG available?

There’s finally a really nice Kona, and it’s freeware!

Meanwhile, Princeville in Kauai was just released by Northern Sky Studio. Their airports are awesome, and note that the creator is in the Ukraine as as I understand it the MSFS products are currently their only source of income due to the Russian attacks, so if you’ve been looking for some great Hawaii or Alaska add-ons…

https://secure.simmarket.com/northern-sky-studio-princeville-airport-msfs.phtml

2 Likes

Good to know!! Thank you.
:+1: :+1:

Very cool… thanks for the update!

I love all of the nice Hawaiin airports DLCs however time after time I fly across very ugly ground textures that obviously have lots of clouds and disfigurations in the ortho imagery, as well as mesh issues and water masking issues.

I flew all around Hawaii with an XPlane ortho download and it looked better than MSFS, which is really saying something. In fact it’s the only place I’ve flown so far where XP looks better than MSFS. So I’m really hoping Asobo or a 3rd party group puts out correct ortho and mesh for Hawaii to do it the justice it deserves and really allow all these great airports to shine.

Cheers

2 Likes

Yet again HAWAII is skipped in this new World Update 10 USA. its the 50th state of USA. I am puzzled to know why? we do need an update for Hawaiian Islands. the water masking around Oahu and Waikiki, Photogrammetry, the island elevation-the works. its just disappointing because its such a beautiful place here to fly to and island hop. Im surprised no Developers have done PHNL airport/Scenery of the Islands and put on Marketplace. Perhaps there will be a Oceania World Update in the near Future? -local here and using xbox series x

3 Likes

I’d love to see a Pacific ocean update in general. They could do a lot with many of the islands out there.

2 Likes

No new data available for Hawaii from data providers (partners of MS/Asobo) == no update for Hawaii.

PC users got something at least:

If this mod can make it better, so can Asobo.

1 Like

where did you get this info from?

There does exist high quality mesh data (possibly lidar) for Hawaii as I had a hyper-realistic MESH/ORTHO combo back in ol’ XPlane 11 that looked much better than current MSFS2020, which is saying something.

So the data is definitely there, the mystery is why they’ve ignored Hawaii in TWO world updates USA now.

2 Likes

Not to mention the islands are small enough that they could do photogrammetry for the entire islands of Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii.

3 Likes

I was afraid this would happen. No new water masks either :cry:

2 Likes

Basically it’s what Jörg Neumann tells on every Q&A when the team is asked about when country XYZ is getting an update.

Also the company providing the data has to be a partner of MS/Asobo as this is a commercial project. Comparing with XPs orthos and DEM provided by the community does not work here as it’s a completely different license type.

Because of this a new package for a region will be only provided if there is new Bing tiles + DEM by one of the DEM providers allowing to use the material in a commercial project.

I understand that, but I was proving that the data does indeed exist. But MSFS/Asobo have purposefully chosen not use it for USA updates. Whether that’s because they don’t want to pay for it (seems unlikely) or they just don’t think the demand is high enough to make it worth their time (probably).

so all we can do if keep on encouraging Asobo t that we indeed DO want hawaii to get it’s deserved facelift.

1 Like

You missed a third point - maybe they plan something special with Hawaii as being the islands in Microsoft Flight

Other than that or an in general planned pacific islands world update I could not imagine any purpose of not including the islands if they had access to usable data :wink:

1 Like

that’s really the dream. an entire world update that is all of the Hawaiian islands in exquisite detail :sunglasses:

1 Like