HDR Peak Brightness Control

HDR needs a brightness control, like Forza has for example. It uses a different range than SDR so it needs a setting screen.

2 Likes

I agree! I have a HDR400 monitor and the clouds are very blown out. I wish there was a calibration slider to control the paper white value and max brightness like other HDR titles.

Currently, the peak brightness in HDR is fixed, leading to huge amounts of clipping if you don’t have a display that can matches the peak brightness of MSFS2020. The best fix would be to simply add in an HDR peak brightness setting, that controls the brightness of the highlights.

I’ve done a little testing, and with my DisplayHDR 400-level monitor there’s definitely some clipping though when in full-screen mode a tone-mapping operator is applied that limits it to the display’s actual peak brightness (this tone-mapping is not applied in windowed mode, or if something else is visible on screen like the Start Menu).

When I process the .jxr HDR screenshots from the NVIDIA capture tool, I find that I have to reduce exposure by 1.5 stops (~2.8x reduction in luminance) to approximately match MSFS’s SDR rendering for the low end (then apply a Reinhard tone-mapping operator for the high end).

This indicates that MSFS is brightening the HDR display by 1.5 stops for no particular reason, reducing the amount of headroom for actually bright things (reflections, sun, sky). I’d like to be able to reduce it either back to match the SDR neutral mid-tones, or somewhere in the middle.

(Don’t get me wrong – it looks great to make use of more dynamic range than my display can do in SDR mode! But with better control I think it will look better still.)

2 Likes

Actually, in my experience MFS is not using HDR at all. It sends a signal that puts my monitor into HDR mode but the color output from the game is SDR

Actually, in my experience MFS is not using HDR at all. It sends a signal that puts my monitor into HDR mode but the color output from the game is SDR

Make sure HDR is enabled in Windows and HDR10 mode is enabled in MSFS. You may have to restart MSFS after enabling HDR in Windows.

I definitely get an HDR signal, which I can capture and measure with NVIDIA’s game capture utility, and see on my monitor.

I’ve done all those steps and have other HDR games which work. MFS just doesn’t. Can’t figure out why.

That’s unfortunate and I hope you work out why HDR is not working for you. For those of us for whom it works just fine, it would still be nice to have a brightness control.

1 Like

The HDR calibration sliders in Assassin’s Creed Origins make a massive improvement to how HDR looks so hopefully something similar will make its way into msfs2020.

2 Likes

Actually it looks like HDR is working for me now but having a HDR brightness setting is still really essential.

This also relates to the way it looks in vr. Clearly my reverb g2 doesn’t have the range so everything looks washed out. Would love some options to adjust.

Currently there is a big issue with HDR just simply not looking great as it should.

I’ll keep this wishlist topic very simple, please provide these 3 settings like Cyberpunk as an example.
Most HDR titles that have values like this tend to look great cuz you can adjust it to your monitor it’s specs.

So what we need is:

• HDR Peak brightness setting in increments of 10 prefferably
  • Paper white setting, also in increments of 10.
  • And tone mapping point to adjust it a tad bit further.

An extra would be HDR10 / Dolby Vision setting but the 3 points above are more important at this point.

Example picture:

I am aware that there are a few HDR related posts, but this one is a bit more specific in terms of what the wish is.

Here’s a good video to support this wishlist item
Why Your OLED TV Will Blow Out HDR Specular Highlights in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 on Xbox - YouTube

2 Likes

with the mess of SU10 Beta HDR, i was hoping Asobo to reconsider this wishlist.
Give us some options for fine tuning the peak brightness at least.

1 Like

Thank you for merging the posts and votes Mod team !
Hope this gets some attention.

2 Likes

Microsoft Apps Product image

I just came across this Microsoft App for Windows 11 users! Hopefully it should help.

The Windows HDR Calibration app doesn’t appear to have any effect on MSFS in my experience so far.

1 Like

Same here zero difference with the app.

1 Like

@Vibstronium @FinalLightNL

That’s a shame :confused:

Hi guys would someone be able to help me out I have a Alienware 34 QLed monitor and at the moment due to the FPS I have to turn GSYNC off as it is flickering and this seems to be the only way to get rid of it. Is this ok to do or will I see worse performance and secondly am having a nightmare with HDR. I have enabled it in Windows 10 but the slider within windows where should that be the monitor is HDR1000 but when I load up the game and play if I move the slider in Windows it makes the image brighter and darker at the lowest it’s extremely dark and at the highest it’s fine but is this blowing out the HDR content. Thanks