Heading Increment Bug (10 degree instead of 1) Explained

Looks like the CH Pro throttle has intermittent buttons, yes.

OK, so honeycomb should have been made the same if they know that Microsoft flight simulator has this problem for years not just MSFS 2020! I could be wrong, I don’t know.
So when you look at what they say it’s been fix (mouse interaction; fix) what does this mean if we still get the 10 degree still there!! What did they really fix? I know this is exhausting, just trying to understand before I buy SPADE.NEXT if they really will fix it , quite expensive I think! Around $40 Canadian!!

Well, temporary switches are, in my opinion, a better choice than latching switches. They simply allow for more flexibility. It’s the thing i dislike most on the Thrustmaster Warthog throttle (but i do understand that in this case they wanted to mirror the real hardware). And while Honeycomb maybe shouldn’t have compromised their hardware concept, what they should have done is provide a proper configuration software, FS bug notwithstanding.

Out of all hardware manufacturers, Thrustmaster currently ships the most complex configuration software that i know of. They allow for C like programming. I’ve seen a configuration for Elite Dangerous that was using an external program to read game variables and feed them to the HOTAS software to set lights and change configurations. And this software is about 3 years old now, and there are better options out there, but it does show that Honeycomb had no excuse to ship their hardware with 0 software support for FS2020. Had people had an easy way of changing the signals sent to the sim, this wouldn’t even be an issue.

There are free alternatives to working around this bug. vJoy with Joystick Gremlin is what I use.

1 Like

The benefit of having switches that are always in one state or the other (on or off) rather than only sending a momentary event (like a button) is that their position can be read at any time, so for example when you load into a flight your switches in the sim can be in sync with your controller rather than having to flick them all to get in sync

I can’t think of an advantage to having them being momentary other than to get around this bug

3 Likes

That is true, but you lose a lot of flexibility. That two position switch can only do one thing: turn a thing on or off. Or if it’s a three position switch, either turn that thing on or that other thing on, but not both at once. Momentary switches can have completely different functions mapped to them, because the two functions don’t need to be related to each other.

For example, i have set a three position switch on my Thrustmaster Warthog throttle to turn on the landing lights in the up position or taxi lights in the down position, and turn them both off in the middle. So I am accepting a compromise that i can have either one or the other, but not both. And i can’t assign some other command like, for example, gear down, because i might want both the gear and the lights on, not just one or the other. Had that been a momentary switch (like the ones on the good old X52 throttle), i could have any toggle function i want on it.

Sure, i can still use it as a toggle and move it by hand back to the middle, but that’s inconvenient.

So yeah, there’s upsides and downsides. Depends what you care about more.

I’m not sure that would apply to normal 2-position switches. If you wanted to try to use a switch for two actions rather than just one, not only would that be wildly unrealistic, but also very restrictive. You wouldn’t be able to toggle one action of the switch without also toggling the other, which would mean you are really back to having a single switch with multiple controls triggered by it, which you can do without the switches acting like momentary buttons.

I still fail to see an upside to having the switches act as two momentary buttons (other than as an attempt to get around the MSFS bug) and I think it’s wrong to say manufacturers like honeycomb should have made their peripherals work that way

1 Like

Up toggles one function, down toggles the other, with the middle being neutral. As far as i know, momentary single pole single throw (SPST) switches aren’t used because they perform the same function as an average button, but they probably cost more. All momentary switches i’ve seen are single pole dual throw (SPDT), so they have a middle park position. This is how the switches on my X52 operate, and allows me to have 6 different and completely independent functions on 3 switches.

I agree, especially considering what Honeycomb was trying to achieve: a magneto switch. But they should have provided software that allows that switch to be reconfigured to send pulses rather than a continuous on. All bundled software that i know of has that capability.

I just had this problem recently (Heading bug 10 degree) and have been using MSFS 2020 with FBW A320 since December and had never had this issue until last week. I also have the TCA Joystick and Throttle Quadrant all working fine. Then for some reason I meddled with the toggle cockpit views and since then I now have the 10 degree issue. I thought I would find the answer in this forum but was amazed at how long and complicated it seems. I just want to get back to how it worked last week so going to un meddle my toggle views since the only thing I have changed. Is it possible there is a relationship with the toggle views and mouse wheel controlling heading? ( and speed, altitude ) causing the +/- 10 instead of +/- 1 ? Is there a view type that will get me back to +/- 1 ?

Like i said previously, any constantly on signal will trigger this bug, be it from a switch on your joystick or a button pressed on your keyboard or mouse.
So, probably the easiest thing to do is, when you have the bug triggered, open up the controls settings, make sure you’re on assigned controls, and scroll through all of them, on all your controllers, and find the one which is constantly on (it will show as a white box).

I just can’t work with Vjoy and gremlin! Can’t get it to work with honeycomb alpha!
Not enough tutorial and help to do this. Man this bug sucks.

Don’t feel bad about this. I have spent the last few days setting up vJoy/Gremlin and with the only buttons NOT configured in Gremlin the ones on the Alpha Yoke I still am getting the 10/1000 bug. And yes, I have used the Imput Viewer in Gremlin and there is NO button in an “ON” state. I am about to give up and go the FSUIPC7 route instead, but fear the learning curve on that route will be even steeper.

Like i said above, look at what FS is telling you.

I hate to admit this, as it was so simple, but you were right. I had been doing all my testing of the bug while sitting at end of runway WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON. Like I said above, when using the Imput Viewer in Gremlin it did not show as ON. But after checking in the sim itself it did. Released the PB and the bug went away.

1 Like

I just tried again tonight and the bug did not appear until I engaged approach mode on the MCDU (FBW stable version). Before then all was fine. So I suppose it could have been the hat switches on my TCA as these were the only buttons I used at this part of the flight but I used those switches throughout. Just coincidence that I entered approach mode ?

This also matches my previous experience last week which happened whilst vectoring to the final.

So I don’t think my peripherals are the cause in my case.

There’s no other possibility. Your hardware (or whatever software you use to control it) is sending an always on signal. Next time it happens, go into your control settings and look for it.

I don’t really understand why people are so keen to go look for a needle in a haystack that might not even be there when it’s so simple and reliable to simply go look in your control settings for an on button.

2 Likes

Ok got it. Will give it a go next flight. Easy to check as you say.

Easiest check is to unplug the hardware. And then see which hardware piece causes it.

Well… Yes… maybe. You will certainly find the offending bit of hardware, but not the offending control. You’ll still have to go rummaging in the control settings. So might as well save a trip to the dark recesses underneath your desk, home to wild dust bunnies and discarded candy wrappers (or is that just me?) and look in the control settings menu to begin with. Takes 10-20 seconds.

Also, i noticed that if i unplug a controller while the sim is running, it will in most cases completely lock up the sim for 30 or so seconds. Far from ideal.

You can be 99.99% sure that if you have the acceleration bug happening it’s because you have a switch or rotary dial sending a continuous signal in your controller(s) profiles

The simplest way to find the problem is when you are in game and the acceleration bug happens press the escape key to pause the game, open your active controller profile(s) and scroll through all the assignments and look for a binding that is lit up. AND don’t forget to check the vJoy profile as well in Fs2020 if you are using the vJoy/Gremlin solution

If any are lit up they are sending a continuous signal

Once you’ve found the offending controller assignment; unbind it and resume the game and see if the problem still exists. If it does repeat the process as you probably have another binding causing you problems.

If you are using vJoy and one of it’s assigned bindings is staying lit up then you need to open and check your Gremlin profile as it is Gremlin that fires the vJoy buttons. In Gremlin it is likely you haven’t added the ‘release’ command to the macro associated with the assigned vJoy button

1 Like