Headless VR Pilot Avatars Mod including GotFriends Avitar Series

Take a look, I was doing something:

The README.txt:

v.1.2.0-15.05.2024

Holy shrunken head! Is this a too late/early Halloween prank?! This looks gross, yuck!

No, it’s a collection of modifications to pilot avatars that enables you to (finally) enjoy MSFS2020 in first-person POV with a visible Pilot body and no disturbance/artifacts of the head, like some of you know it from DCS. It is meant to be used in VR, also works in 2D. All modifications are working at Level Of Detail (LOD) 0 and are only visible inside the cockpit. From outside view, everything is normal and no one has lost his head.

This package contains of five independent Mods that work together to allow you to use the Pilot Avatars in any combination as you want.
Example: Capt in the A320 with no Head and FO with. Or: FO without Head and Capt with. Or both without (yuck!). There are even Invisible ones If needed, because the aircraft you are flying doesn’t allow switching of only the copilot, and you want to fly solo. You Can choose any combination you want from the Miscellaneous menu in the General Options “on the fly”. All pilot avatars are marked with a VR text in the image preview.

One little inconvenience is that not every plane lets you choose by default if you can see your pilot avatars when inside the cockpit or not. As a starter for you, I included a small Mod that switches the Pilot in the Asobo FA-18E to always visible. I suggest you start with it first and familiarize yourself how switching the pilots work. You will also may need to reposition and fine tune your point of view, to be in an optimal position to your virtual body. You can do it with these default MSFS commands: UP = Up Arrow, Down = Down Arrow, Left = Left Arrow, Right = Right Arrow, Forward = Alt + Up Arrow, Backward = Alt + Down Arrow.
And sorry, there is no(!) way to save it in VR. You have to redo it each time you jump into the cockpit, but you get used to it, it’s like adjusting your seat.

The F-18 is a very good showcase of linked hands and feet to the controls that
are moving in sync with your inputs. Don’t miss it!

I will try to add more default MSFS2020 Planes, and some that I have bought, at a later time. Please understand that I can’t provide it all at the beginning as there are so many. And some I can’t add at all because I don’t own them. I hope that people will comment if they have a working mod for a specific aircraft that works the same as the F-18 mod or even similar to this fabulous one for the DA-40 NGX: DA40-NGX Improvement Mod für Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS You can click on the air vents to show/hide the Pilots, literary, on the fly. I will populate a list with similar Mods at the end, and I will post a link to a YT vid that explains how to enable the pilots for all aircraft. I also used this tutorial for the F-18 mod.

INSTALLATION:

!!! Delete all three previous mod folders: !!!
“ZZZ Asobo Pilot always visible in Cockpit Condor7777”
“ZZZ all Asobo Pilot Avatars for VR Condor7777”
“asobo Mil Pilots VR head is not visible Condor7777”
!!! Delete all three previous mod folders: !!!

Unpack " No visible Head in VR Superpack 1...rar"
You find self-explanatory Images, a README.txt and zipped Mods inside:

1."Pilots always visible in Cockpit.zip "
This enables the always visible pilot in the cockpit.
This package supports the following MSFS2020 default aircraft…
Asobo_DG1001E_Neo Glider, Asobo_FA18E,microsoft-bell-407, Fokker DR1 (freeware: Fokker DR.1 – Got Friends)

…up to now.
I will add more in the future. I plan to add all Standard MSFS Aircraft and maybe some more that I own.

2.“MSFS Pilot Avatars for VR.zip”
This adds a second set of “VR headless” avatars, and also two invisible ones, if needed, to the default ones. You can set them “on the fly” to Pilot or Copilot in the “General Options” → “Misc” menu.

3.“GotFriends Avitar Buddies VR.zip”
This adds a second set of headless avatars to the GotFriends Avitar Buddies. You can set them “on the fly” to Pilot or Copilot in the “General Options” → “Misc” menu.

4.“GotFriends Avitar Buddies VR.zip”
This adds a second set of headless avatars to the GotFriends Avitar Buddies. You can set them “on the fly” to Pilot or Copilot in the “General Options” → “Misc” menu.

5.“GotFriends Avitar Buddies VR.zip”

You can get the GotFriends Avitar Series here: Avitar Series – Got Friends

Drag’n’drop the Zip folders directly into “MSFS_AddonsLinker” and let this essential tool do it’s magic (MSFS Addons Linker für Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS),
or
Unzip each of them and place each folder into your MSFS2020 Community folder.

Please don’t rename them or remove the “ZZZ” - this can be important for future updates.

YouTube Tutorial how to edit aircraft files to show always the Pilot:
https://youtu.be/ed5w_g_8jJY

aircraft mods that let you show the pilots on the fly inside your cockpit

DA40-NGX Improvement Mod für Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

WBSim/JPLogistics Cessna 152 for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS <-follow the link to the discord to get to the download

Cessna 172SP Skyhawk AS1000 improvement for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

DA62 X Improvement Mod for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

…more to come as time goes by…

Please comment if there are more, I will link them here,
or maybe you have done a simple mod (like I have done for the Asobo FA18E) that I can include in the download.

Associated post in the official MSFS Forum:

Headless VR Pilot Avatars Mod including GotFriends Avitar Series

Please comment after you have tried it.

Condor7777

6 Likes

Recent Changelog 1.1.1

Removed all *.bin (Model) files to be more robust for future MSFS updates, for better integration of the Got Friends Avitar series (Avitar Series – Got Friends) and last but not least, to prevent any possible copyright infringement.
Added the free(!) Got Friends Fokker DR1 to the aircraft that always show the pilot inside the cockpit.
Fokker DR.1 – Got Friends
And a bunch of under-the-hood tweaks and fixes.

Delete your previous version before you update!

Preview version Got Friends Avitar Valor for VR

1 Like

Version 1.2 is out
Now including the Got Friends Avitar Series

Please comment after you have tried it.

Condor7777

Anyone tried this? Doesn’t it feel weird? Or does it enhance your experience?

1 Like

Version 1.2.3 now supports this aircraft.

Recent Changelog 1.2.3

The only mod that changed is: “Pilots always visible in Cockpit.zip”

I added 20+ MSFS standard MSFS aircraft. I will not list them here anymore.
Check the list in the “image” folder to see what is added. The next update of this mod will be decoupled from the VR Avatars and will be a separate download on Flightsim.to
I will post a link when the transition starts.

As I said on flightsim.to. Very nice but there are some issues.

1. Copilot is beheaded or shrunken-headed :smiley: - Why would I need copilot to be VR variant? Good question… Sometimes we move to copilot place (although Asobo didn’t fixed the keybind for it in 4 years… cough cough…

A solution would be that the distance at which the headless model shows to be way smaller… around the shoulders maximum…

1. Photos by Kev looks without textures when the original model is switched into view but looks OK in in 1st person

In last picture you cans ee that 1st person is OK although it still shows quite unnecessary far from the body.

Thanks again!

ps
How to modify the gltf files to help with the project?

ps 2
I have found the error in Photos by Kev model.
in the PHOTOSBYKEV_VR.xml file the line 9 has reference to ROTORNUT44 instead of PHOTOSBYKEV and should look like this:

<LOD minSize="80" ModelFile="../../BUDDIES/model.PHOTOSBYKEV/PHOTOSBYKEV.gltf">

1 Like

Hello Zaelu, thank you for your feedback and showing your willingness to expand the aircraft list that supports an always visible pilot. I’m answering to each paragraph:

1. Yes, you found it out yourself :wink: - Just because for you there is no obvious need for a VR pilot at the copilot seat, I don’t wanted to restrict it, I want to give as much freedom as I can. Keep in mind that this is not an “all or nothing” setting:
    You fly solo?: Chose the “Invisible” Copilot
    You have a Copilot?: switch on a default (Non-VR) copilot.
    You fly as FO in an airliner ? set the copilot to VR.
    There are some other rare occasions when you want a VR (Headless) pilot besides you, now you can. Think about a Moviemaker. Now you are able to take shoots from the copilot point of view while having the Body visible. You are free to mix and match as you like. The invisible ones are male or female, so you can pick up the radio voice you need.

A solution would be that the distance at which the headless model shows to be way smaller… around the shoulders maximum…

I tried many things to get this working, switching off/on the head by distance (about 15cm). So there is no need of a second VR pilot set. But there are too many variables that make it too difficult for each single plane. Head Visibility is not easily trigger by a single factor. It is interlocked inside the model files of each plane. The LOD setting is only working at greater distances, as it is calculated by how much percent of an object is shown on screen. And right now the mod is only in controls of the whole interior of the cockpit, and its behavior changes from aircraft to aircraft. And as it is used now in my edited files, it kicks in at about 2m. This is the nearest point I have found that it works. I wanted it to be around 20cm, as you also suggest. Maybe someone comes up with a hack that doesn’t require editing each aircraft by its own. It has to be a LOD setting that only effects a child_model of the Head or similar. But up to now, a second set of avatars is needed, and the user has to choose by his own what kind of combination of pilot and copilot he needs.

ps How to modify the gltf files to help with the project?

To edit the files, I do it all with Notepad++ and rely heavily on the “find” and “compare” plugin. And I follow loosely this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5w_g_8jJY more info in this topic.

I plan to write down a general instruction how to do and load up the files and post the needed file structure, so we get more planes and I can include aircraft I don’t own. Furthermore, I want to establish a second step that I integrate the files only if they are successfully tested by a second person.
This is the workflow I have in mind:
a Person has demand for Aircraft X. Someone edits or only loads up the first two LOD files for the interior. Someone edits it with the Pilots and shows a picture and/or video that it works in the cockpit. I take these files and the info about the file structure of this Aircraft I do not own and put a mod with a layout.json together and load it up into the forum again. Only after it is tested successfully, It will be included in the greater mod.

ps 2
I have found the error in Photos by Kev model.
in the PHOTOSBYKEV_VR.xml file the line 9 has reference to ROTORNUT44 instead of PHOTOSBYKEV and should look like this:

Good find, this give me confidence to thrust you in further collaborations. I found this error also already, will integrate in the next occasion. To be honest: I was very sloppy on my final tests, it was around 1am and I had several drinks at the time and called it “good enough” for a first draft. I’m quite proud of me that there isn’t much more that I have messed up.

From flightsim.to:

I wish the gotfriends pilots were as they implied first… rigged with inverse kinematics and connected to controls… But they’ll do for now.
However there are some minor things that maybe can be improved or fixed.

You can’t blame GotFriends for that (at least not for the planes they didn’t make by their own). The bindings of the skeletal model of each avatar isn’t done inside the avatar files. Each one of them has the ability to do this, like it is done in the F18 and Guimbal Cabri G2.
This movement of the avatar is coded inside the model files of an aircraft. And if an aircraft developer doesn’t bother about it, it won’t show up.
I already tinkered with it. My goal is to bind at least the left arm to the yoke in a Cessna 152, and maybe also the legs to the rudder. But it is very time-consuming, and I need a lot of trial and error. I was successful with one leg after several hours, but stopped this as I realized that the next update can break it easily and everything has to be reedited individual for each aircraft. And my overall knowledge isn’t sufficient, to do it reliable. Maybe I will come back to it at a later date, but I’m still hoping that this will be mandatory for each developer that is talking that they care about VR (…).

So here is capture how it is in the Cabri and F-18, so others understand what we’re talking about. This function adds so immense to the immersion (when done right) :

If I get more responses than the usual thumbs-up to this mod, I will open up a Topic to ask for a community computing effort to expand the Aircraft list. But as it looks right now, we aren’t going far. There are not many downloads and only three replies after a week (!), maybe they just don’t know what they miss… Naive me thought that this has a much bigger demand in the VR community… Time will tell.
Kinda frustrating when comparing DCS with MSFS and how VR is implemented and care is given. But when looking at the numbers and responses, I also can understand the team of MSFS and that they’re concentrating on other things and don’t "waste"money for VR. It’s all about using your development time cost-effective in the end. And while writing it, I realize that I spend way too much time for this myself :wink: