Helicopters are hard

Nice flying!! Not bad at all mate. Especially liked the little dance around the control tower.

I like the outside shots too. What did you use to record that? SkyDolly?

Can’t wait to try this myself but no chance to install everything til tomorrow!

What airport / area is that?

2 Likes

Thanks!

I used Flight Control Replay 4.5 and the airport is Castlegar (CYCG).

1 Like

Yes!! Totally needed…or I’ll wait for a tutorial hopefully on YouTube later.

I was able to take off with no problems…maybe move forward a TAD bit. I’ll lower the throttle and can move forward some more.

Mostly a lot of hovering, spinning in circles right now. (XBox controller…so perhaps 100x harder?) If I drop the throttle a little bit I simply go down and crash.

1 Like

I spend hours in the air. In both MSFS and DCS. Helps to have a collective.

Outstanding.
Great flight.

Jim-Sim

1 Like

Have not lost your touch mate even if the landing looked a little ahem… firm… :wink:
Takes me back to those fun flights with you in the Dodosim 206.
Do you have or tried VR or managed to have any real time flight experience? You would love the real thing. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I hope you add helicopter lessons in the future

1 Like

Same here! I’m super excited to learn it, but a noob at the same time, so I’ll have to be patient until someone explains it to me on YouTube. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need some help

In my control profile SET HELICOPTER THROTTLE AXIS increases and decreases my throttle on the Guimbal but on the Bell 407 this does not happen

Can anyone help me ?

I dont know something dont seem right with the helicopters, rpm / throttle dont seem to do to much if anything, I can fly and land the thing, but something just dont feel correct.

1 Like

You added Glider lessons, more or less OK.

But the guys who want to try and fly the helicopters?
Have to wait till Tuesday, AFAIK, for a stream with a guy describing how to fly them.
OK, the guy seems to know what he talks about.

Just one simple question:

Why are there lessons for gliders? They are much easier to fly!

3 Likes

As has often been written, helicopters are a special case. However, I would also like to say that they are extremely nervous here with the aids switched off. Admittedly, I haven’t fixed any trims in such a short time (has the FS already got a heli-trim button?) and I’m not out with the FFB today, but the Bell feels as if it has no weight and the associated inertia.

Oh yes, I’ve been traveling with the Huey and Hind in DC for a long long time, as well as the V22 in XP exclusively. Both with and without FFB.

Nope. Can’t figure out how the controls are set up by default, and can’t find helicopter-specific key bindings anywhere. The only helicopter-related settings I can locate are just the collective and tail rotor assists, but that’s it (XBOX).

I’m using a controller, and I can use throttle (which I assume must be controlling collective instead) to lift off, but then it just torque spins hard and using triggers (which I presume control tail rotor) barely compensates in one direction and just makes the spin infinitely worse in the other direction. The left stick, which I assume is the cyclic, kinda sorta acts like a cyclic, but has little control, and the helicopter pitches wildly nose up if even a small amount of back stick is applied.

Incidentally, this is mostly referencing the Guimbal, but the Bell 407 acted exactly the same.

4 Likes

I am having the same problem, I have been trying all day to get the helicopters to fly, both of them do the same thing, i slowly add collective and as soon as it gets light off the ground it oscillates out of control and smashes into the ground, this is with assists on even. I have no idea what to do.

7 Likes

Same problem here, both helicopters completely unflyable for me. I check settings and everything working with H135 and H145, but as soon I take throttle up in Bell heli start dancing left and right with no control :frowning:

3 Likes

Yep, I normally don’t use assists on any aircraft as I am a real-world pilot (fixed wing/gliders, though), but I gave in quickly and turned on both the helicopter assists and frankly, they didn’t really seem to do anything at all.

2 Likes

Yeah same I normally have all assists off, I have actually flown helicopters in real life and I cant for the life of me get them to work in the sim :rofl::rofl: I think its a flight model issue or something enabled that I don’t know about. I hope someone can figure it out, I was so excited for helicopters to be in this release and I cant even use them.

1 Like

That’s true, but this problem is WAY beyond normal helicopter twitchiness. There’s definitely a problem. Hopefully, it’s just a setup issue of some kind, but so far I can’t find any settings that help. I understand how helicopters work, though I’m a fixed-wing pilot in real life, but they’re totally uncontrollable at the moment in the sim, at least for me.

2 Likes

Something seems to be bugged for controller users. Setting the controls to gamepads(helicopter) in the control options makes the controller completely unresponsive.

No type of input does anything in the helicopter tutorial.

Setting the controls to default doesn’t really help fly these helicopters but at least the controls actually respond, although not in any meaningful way that would help you come to grips with flying them.

2 Likes

Yeah I am pretty sure its a controller issue. I have watched some videos on youtube posted a few hours ago and the person was using a joystick and throttle and with assists on he was able to get off the ground and it basically hovered with his hands off the controls.

2 Likes