Help before i bust a blood vessel

I have tried to install the latest update (well forced too) on opening MSFS.

All i get is a progress bar that gives me false hopes jumping around every time i think its nearly done. This is telling me different things each time but around 190Mb (now as it does look like some folders have updated). Now it just stops and freezes after a while, i have left this for hours as sometimes the files in ‘OneStore’ are changing.

I have deleted .fscontent and any other files that are not in folders (each time i try)
I have sync the clock
I have renamed the Community folder
I have paused it and restarted
I have thrown a stress toy multiple times at the wall
I have tried updating it through Microsoft Store (but its not saying any update available)

After the last freeze im left with

I am now at a loss after many hours trying, please help before i faceplant into the keyboard.
Andy

Hi Andy,
I wouldn’t delete .fscontent again.

If it was happening to me I’d:
Close MSFS
Delete the fspatch and part files
Restart the PC
Try to update again and see if it gets stuck
If it gets stuck, is it on the same files?

Thank you, i will try exactly what you say and feedback.

At the moment i do keep seeing ‘Asobo-airport-kjfk-new-york-jfk-0.1.71.fspatch.part’ that gets to 43408 KB and then back to 0 KB

1 Like

Hiya,

It froze at:-

With these files

1 Like

Darn, I was really hoping it wasn’t going to get stuck again.

Just to conform, you’ve done all of this?

And if so, the next thing I’d try doing is deleting the 5 folders those fspatch and part files pertain to. So fs-base, asobo-aircraft-dg1001-e, etc.

It’s going to be a lot of redownloading because fs-base is about 60GB

Failing that, I’d move on to this:

1 Like

Hiya many thanks, the only thing i will revisit is the vanilla state to ensure all third parties are not affecting it, completely uninstall them (first i need to make a comprehensive list) thats the only thing left.

If not uninstall the folders, but even though its big i just need a way forward. I was thinking of a complete re-install.

I will let you know, many thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Make sure you have any Anti-Virus programs turned off, ESPECIALLY “Malware Bytes”

BUT

Temporarily : Turn off Antivirus programs at your own risk

2 Likes

Hi Andy!
I feel your pain at this installation, particularly in the workloads of rebuilding your 3rd party addons.
From my start, I have been thankful to have decided to use the popular MSFS Addon Linker so that isolating them from the installation becomes so easy to control. Although your conversion will be somewhat of a workload, it will certainly reduce future hassles significantly.
Good luck in your endeavours,
Cheers, Richard

1 Like

I would delete the sim and start from scratch. Remember to delete the install directory and the directory under your user where the content goes. I uninstalled in Steam, and the sim went right back to being stuck after I clicked install until I removed the old files. It’s the only way to be sure the files are good.

1 Like

But not everyone has the Internet Download Plan to keep Re-Installing MSFS, or the speed to make it a painless exercise.

Those if us who do, may not realize what a challenging issue it is for those that don’t – (Until we think about it)

2 Likes

I never said it was painless. And today I am getting CTD’s from having Rolling Cache enabled. Something is still not right.

Well at this point i have followed everything apart from uninstalling the sim and starting from fresh. I will maybe look at this tomorrow as i have lost the will.
Many thanks for your help and support, i really appreciate it.
Andy

2 Likes

If you decide to re-install the sim, why not let it do it overnight while you sleep ?

A watched Sim, Never Installs

1 Like

Update:_

I tried one more time and minimised the window so i couldnt see the progress bar!! came back to it this evening and …OMG im back in but with 6 failed packages but its progress.

Im deleting from the Update Available (6) in content manager then installing them one by one and it seems to be working.
Im yet to reinstate my community folder but hey i have a smile now.

Big thanks for today as i was going to try anything prior to a re-install.
Cheers all
Andy

2 Likes

Haha, correct…
In my case, after starting update SU14, I left home and went to work last night, drove around half the country ( the Netherlands) on a truck and returned home around 07:00 am.
Update was succesfuly completed.
So indeed, staring at the screen, eating nails, throwing stress toys against the wall, abuse a bottle of booze and looking at how the update progresses ruins your day is a waste of time and health.

3 Likes