Help getting started with Blender - convert to STL File

Hi, I’d like to export a throttle lever from the sim and 3D print it to scale, could anybody please point me in the right direct to a tutorial or forum that can help get me started. I’ve looked on YouTube but the one video I found is impossible to follow as I think the creator assumes existing knowledge. Thanks

Since Blender 3.6 there is a STL option in the Import and Export menu. So you model normally and then export to STL.

Or you can import a STL and make changes normally and Export it as STL.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but how do I pull the cockpit/ throttle model (TBM930) out of the aircraft model?

• Download the MSFS .gltf importer from here and follow the instructions: Release v0.4 · bestdani/msfs2blend · GitHub

• Once you’ve installed it go to files > import > MSFS glTF

• Search for your MSFS folder and go to Packages\Official\Steam (or MS Store)\asobo-aircraft-tbm930\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_TBM930\model

• Select TMB930_interior_LOD00.gltf

• The model will be imported, now select all the throttle lever components and press H to hide them

• Once you’ve hid your throttle components press A to select all the rest of the cabin and then del or X to delete

• Press Alt + H to bring the the throttle back by itself.

You’ll need to do some editing to the model to make it print ready and to make it fit in your throttle quadrant but that’s how you import the throttle model

Amazing, thank you for taking the time to explain this, just followed your steps and grabbed the handle (need to Google how to select multiple items). Thank you

Thank you for this, I think I’ve got all I need now :+1:

1 Like

One question if I may, I exported the throttle .stl as per the thread, brought the file into Freecad and the measurements are micro millimetres, example the width of the hand comes out at 58 micro millimetres, have I done something wrong as I was expecting 1:1 scale? Thanks

That will happen a lot when exporting STL from Blender. Try some different scale options in your slicer software from 1,000, and 10,000 in 10x increments and so on until it appears at the correct scale. There’s probably a specific way to export that keeps the scale but unless you know the conversion factor, it’s easier to try different values until it’s correct.
And be aware that there could be metric to imperial conversion also.