HELP! I’m ready to destroy my entire setup!

I’m running a Dell G5 with Nvidia GTX 1650ti and trying to use the Quest 2. I can get a decent view if I’m playing while looking at a desktop looking screen in my headset (kinda defeats the VR purpose) As soon as I activate VR mode, the laptop starts flashing the 2 screens like VR and the headset goes black. I’ve tried this with the link cable. If I’m using the virtual desktop, I see the 2 VR style screens like I see on my laptop screen. I’m ready to take a sledge hammer to both pieces of equipment… please help!!!

Hi,

Try disabling Windows HDR mode

Specially when you did not install the latest windows 10 version (update)

This could help

Good luck!

I’m very sorry, but I’m not super computer savvy. How do I do that? Also, all of my drivers and windows updates are current. I just updated everything this morning just to be certain. I just want to be able to look around from the headset and see the views like I would if I were in the plane IRL.

No need to say sorry mate :+1::relaxed:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > System > Display > Windows HD Color settings.
  2. Turn off Use HDR.

I’m assuming it’s already off. This is what I’m seeing.

Try in 2d to goto the cog wheel furthest right in the menu and select reset dialogs/windows and that worked for me.

I had tried everything, including reinstalling windows and fs2020 with no luck.

Did you overclocked your GPU? If so, undo it

I think you’ll really struggle to get MSFS working in VR with a laptop and 1650Ti, especially on a Quest 2, which has a high resolution and requires additional video encoding. What’s the performance like in flatscreen?

In flat screen, the performance was great!

I’m not overclocking. I don’t know how or what that even means honestly.

So are there any laptops that’ll work well for msfs 2020 in VR? I travel a ton and love to take my gear with me. I have a case for my throttle, rudder pedals, flight yoke, etc… I recently decided to add VR to the mix.

I think this can handle it @VBFireman8

Tragically, getting a laptop right now is probably the only way to get a 3080. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m assuming all of your graphics setting (within the sim) are either set to low or off?

Yes they are. That’s the first thing I tried.

So…after spending over 1 hour on the phone with Dell tech support and almost that long with Oculus tech support, the result is that my laptop will not run any VR headset. I think we did everything except disassemble everything and reassemble it again. My newer better VR ready laptop will arrive sometime between 4/8 and 4/13. This one was speced out by the Oculus representative. Thank you all for trying to resolve this for me. I’m new to all of this and you all are AWESOME!

1 Like

Watch out for high temps! Can’t imaging running MSFS on a laptop, let alone in VR without melting the CPU and GPU, or at least reaching the throttle temperature very quickly.

1 Like

Will do. I have a massive cooling fan pad and the laptop I ordered is liquid cooled as well.

1 Like

You’re welcome mate!

P.s. Enjoy your new laptop!

Happy :hatching_chick::hatched_chick:! And stay safe!

Wow. Sounds impressive.

No kidding, that laptop isn’t for the faint of heart!