Helping out the new guys: how to fly helicopters

Hey everyone. I would like to leave this here, for those that may be new to helicopters. We made these specifically for simming. I hope it helps someone!

3 Likes

Actually I am most interested in how a heli professional would set up his in-sim joystick and pedals/twistgrips i.e. bindings and general sensitivities. Of course cyclics and collectives too but not everyone has them.

Any advice appreciated

1 Like

That depends on the sim, real helicopter, virtual helicopter and controls used. There’s no cookie-cutter solution and a single, simple answer.

Sims behave differently, real helicopters are all different from each other, they are made different in sims and controls have different resistances, travel length, etc… All those variables make it really hard or even impossible to come up with a solution that’s “realistic” for all cases.

And it may also depend on the pilot. I’ve had experiences with guys flying the same helicopter trying my sim and they set it up differently. Probably because there are differences with the helicopters themselves (same models but they behave a bit differently).

I fully agree with you.So far I’ve have only seen few informations about some set-ups or reminder to you-tube tutorials but never seen a complete guidance to do the basic controls settings at least.Then,with practice,you may try to master the heli flights and do some fine tune of the settings afterward.

1 Like