High End PC Low End FPS

I’m not doubting you at all. I would need to see your system settings to understand the difference.

It’s well documented that the 3080 has only minimal improvement in FPS over older series cards. FS2020 is a CPU heavy game which is why the improvements are minor. The resolution and settings play a big part in your upgrade experience as well.

That being said, I noticed on average 10-20 FPS improvement from the 1080 Ti to 3080. The biggest improvement is outside of big cities/complex airliners that demand high CPU usage.

1 Like

Again, here is what I am running:

I am running MSFS at Default Ultra 3440X1440, I set everything, such as traffic to default, but with Live traffic, no labels.

I’ve set everything to Default Ultra, and I am not running mods.

I don’t wish to be confrontational, I just want to get to the bottom of it. I want the 3080 or 3090 for Racing and Flight sims to use with VR
Things are not looking good so far.

My Specs:

9900k @4800
32 gb @ 3400
1080 ti
Gigabyte Aorus Master, Bios F11c, Default bios Gaming profile
LG 3440X1440 monitor

Cinebench score, 4850

So my 10700k is only OCed to 4.7ghz. I also run high refresh glass cockpit which is CPU demanding which might explain my lower FPS in CPU bottlenecked areas like KORD.

The A320NX mod takes another 5 or so FPS away due to the increased complexity that the mod provides.

That being said again the 3080 is not the issue. I have confirmed that with MSI Afterburner. It shows my 3080 running at 40-50% utilization even in cities like Chicago/LA.

Since VR is more GPU demanding (due to running two separate screens in the headset), I do expect the 3080 to shine whenever we get VR in FS2020. I too am looking forward to that.

If you want more data points, YouTube has a bunch of videos showing the 3080 on FS2020, but you won’t see significant improvements unless you are running at 4k or not flying in CPU demanding areas.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info. Maybe VR beta will provide a clearer picture on that.

1 Like

Please don’t think I’m calling you out here but as a PC builder of over 20 years I’ve seen this happen a lot. Do have your monitor plugged into the graphics card itself and not the motherboard? This happens A LOT, hope you figure it out.

The manipulator times are high, which appears to be tied in with the discussions we’ve been having on AI SimObjects and their impact on performance and memory use. Do you have AI traffic set up, and what value do you have for the ground traffic, too? For an experiment turn off AI traffic and see how this impacts your FPS.

If you haven’t seen it, take a look at this thread.

1 Like

When I was testing this week, Ground AI was an insignifant factor in CPU Loading, and resulting FPS reduction. By far, the majority of the load in the CPU are the AI Planes, which over time, can accumulate to up to 1000 !! bring your system to a limited 10 fps stall.

Faster CPU may allow even more AI panes, before they limit when FPS get down to 10 fps.

The good news is that you can release that CPU load by “temporarily” manually removing the AI Planes –

• Pause
  • Set AI Plane Slider(s) to 0
  • Save
  • Set slider(s) back up again ---- (maybe 25% = Initial 50 GA planes = Initial ?? Airlines)
  • Save
  • Un-Pause

After a time, you get really good at doing that really quickly !!

Please VOTE on

please-destroy-out-of-range-ai-aircraft-that-are-causing-fps-decrease-and-eventually-ctd

1 Like

You didn’t even read his post did you?
He’s being limited by his GPU (which is weird for a 3080), and mentions in his opening post that AI aircraft on or off make zero difference on his sim’s performance.

You have made your post, and it’s getting voted on. You don’t need to run around advertising for your thread on this subsection of the forum.

You do know the dev mode isn’t always accurate. Which one is more accurate the dev mode or what the task manager shows? Dev mode can tell you you’re GPU limited when in fact the CPU is to blame.I have noticed even when it tells me I am limited by GPU at big airports by temps on the GPU drops which is not always the case.
What is that telling you?
No one is advertising here. If you have add nothing fruitful to add to a thread move along or don’t comment.On my ignore list.

Your bottle necking that 3080 @ 3440x1440 monitor those 3080 were meant for 4k.

the OP literally stated that AI aircraft set on or off had zero impact on his FPS issue. So making a post about the influence of AI aircraft on CPU load (regardless of what the FPS meter shows) doesn’t add anything to this discussion.
Maybe you need to read OP’s first post as well?

That is highly possible. Not sure what the other guy is on about it being limited by GPU.3080 being made for 4k shouldn’t be limited by 1440p ultrawide

Okay I’m lost, what do you mean open profile?

Go check YouTube. There are literally hundreds of post about 1440p limiting the 3080.

Uninformed buys…shezzzz

1 Like

Even though I do not own a 3080 from what I have seen when the sim is limited by the GPU the fps tends to much higher at least on my setup. Big unoptimized handcrafted airport still tells me I am limited by GPU with low fps but what’s odd my GPU temps and core clock drops.

I’m CPU bottlenecked here. Unplayable at some airports, but usually its awesome.

3700X @ 4.2 GHz
32GB RAM
RTX 3080 FE

I think pretty much everyone is CPU bottlenecked .Much worse on weaker cpus.I run an 2060super with an i5 8400 on 1440p and the CPU is the main culprit to my performance dips. When the CPU is free of resources the sim runs 40+fps almost stutter free.
I noticed the fps dip is very noticeable shortly after touchdown in the a320. @Sabena321140 saben321140 Good results when the burden is off of the cpu.

1 Like

I flew into KLAX and it was awful. GPU usage dropped to 0 for seconds at a time.

Especially considering my 3700X is definitely not a low end chip lol and it’s OC’d to 4.2 GHz

1 Like

Sheesh, 20? Then I’m glad I’m getting 50-60 with just a 9700 and 2070 super