Historic Weather (as second timeline)

I agree completely.

We can’t all fly at an appropriate time to use live weather. Without 3rd part dev access, Asobo now has to take on this responsibility themselves.

This option has been available via addons in other sims for 15+years.

Meteoblue blue has the data available, so there’s no technical reason it can’t be done.

3 Likes

Historical weather is a must!

4 Likes

While the idea of “live” weather (if it eventually works as originally advertised - which it does not currently) is a great marketing sell, I propose few us can hop on the sim and fly exactly when we would like to practice or see some specific phenomena.

Many may fly at different times (night, morning, weekends only), and without the ability to pick a date/time and see the weather as it was then, live weather is almost useless: rarely do you get the same weather conditions in mornings and nights as you do during the day (winds are calmer, temp/dew spread creates lots of different visibility conditions etc.).

Please fix “live” weather, and bring historical weather to the sim as a feature.

5 Likes

Yeah, I usually have time to fly when it’s dark outside. But I want to fly daytime. Which means I’m locked out of good weather.

I mean, I can’t use live weather, nor can I set changing weather along the way. So I can only set weather that will be the same the entire flight, which is sad.

Yes historic weather, at least for a year so we can always fly in seasonal weather, is a must.

2 Likes

This is a must have. If you fly at the evening real time a flight that is simmed in the daytime then live weather is completely useless. Temperature, pressure etc is totally off. Make this a priority and vote for that people

2 Likes

In all the media coverage before the release, it was said that you could use historic weather to try for example to land in ‘that storm’ last week. Sadly this has never seen the release version and I find it strange and sad that this was used as a marketing speech yet it never delived.

3 Likes

Asobo pls, I need this to start my RTW trip, I don’t wanna fly half of it at night.

I don’t get what night time has to do with historic weather, you can use real-time weather while changing the time of day.

It’s fairly easy: the weather is quite different at different times of the day. At night it is usually colder and more humid, and often more foggy in many regions of the world.

Let’s say you want to simulate a daytime flight on the other side of the world (because you live in Europe but you want to fly in Australia). Currently you only have two options: Either you can do your simulated daytime flight during the day with completely unrealistic night time weather for Australia. Or you have to get up in the middle of the night, Europe time, to do a simulated daytime flight with proper daytime weather in Australia.

With historic weather you could do your Australia daytime flight in the middle of the day, but set the weather to the last corresponding real daytime weather of Australia instead of having to settle for unrealistic night time weather.

Also, with historic weather you could redo flights with especially interesting weather situations which are simply lost in time like tears in the rain when there is live weather only.

An no … setting up the (static) weather yourself is not an option, because real life weather is much more varied over the course of a flight.

13 Likes

Great explanation, and right on point!

3 Likes

Hey guys, can we post a question on this for the next Dev Q&A? I feel it’s just being lost in here sitting on the wish list.
Honestly it shouldn’t even be a wish list item, simulating historical weather is a fundamental part of flight simulation. This needs to be prioritized!

6 Likes

I agree. And don’t understand why this feature is ”not planned”.

2 Likes

This is the #1 reason I’ve been looking into 3rd party weather is for historical weather. I want real weather, but for the time and date that I’m flying, not the “now” weather that live gives or having to select static weather manually.

2 Likes

Yep, sadly this is yet another ignored and easy to implement feature that should have always been there.

2 Likes

Ah sorry I missed the Dev Q&A this time, was a really busy week… Was really hoping to add this in as a question. I will need to set a reminder on my phone when I know the date for the next one… :frowning:

2 Likes

I also wish there would be historic weather option. I loved that feature of ActiveSky in FSX. I don’t always want to be restricted from flying in the sim by bad real world weather but I also don’t want to fly with clear skies either.

Also it’s a lot of fun to recreate real life flights in the sim and therefore it’s awesome to have the historic weather option.

3 Likes

Jörg Neumann is asking why historic weather would be important for users. So, here is my opinion.
(I searched the forum about a similar thread, but all I found was my thread about the need of historic weather nearly one year ago. So, I will repeat myself here)

For me, it is one of the most important features and I hope MS/Asobo will implement this?!

Several reasons to have it:

1. I do not have always the possibility to fly during the day, so enjoying live weather is only possible in darkness. Yes, of course, I could turn the daylight on, but it doesn’t reflect then the (mostly warmer) weather of daytime
  2. Chasing nice or interesting weather conditions. As example, the day starts with a very nice autumn mist with low visibility. I go to work, come home, clear skies. With historic weather I could train my skills in low visibility
  3. Long haul flights with time acceleration.
    I’m sure time acceleration will be an option one day (to make it possible for people with less time to fly over the oceans or continents). Starting a flight in live time and accelerate it then, results in un-known weather condition as we fly then into the future.
    So, I will always start a flight where I use time acceleration, in the the past with the weather at that time, getting then also the right weather, when I switch back to current time after acceleration
  4. recreating holiday flights I have probably encountered, or similar (weather) events of the past.
  5. simply train a situation again and again.
    Having strong winds at one day and I’d like to get better and better in crosswind landings, I could recreate this situation with historic weather again and again (yes, I know, we could make our own weather scenario, but that is not the same and surely not as complex then as real weather would be)

I’m sure there are more examples and reasons, maybe we could collect them.
And I hope many people will join to support my demand about historic weather!

many thanks!

2 Likes

I completely understand why historical weather is important. It is one of the attractive features of ActiveSky. However shouldn’t they get the weather working properly first? What’s the point of historical weather if it isn’t accurate?

This time synch problem resulting in either several day old weather or future weather being displayed is really silly. How can you trust what historical weather they provide you if they can’t produce accurate current weather?

If it’s true that Jörg Neumann asked why Historic Weather is important that would be really shocking and display a fundamental lack of understanding how weather works and how different it is during night time.

So yeah, I live in Europe and if I wanted to do a truly realistic daytime flight in Australia I would have to get up in the middle of the night to get proper Australian day time weather.

Historic Weather is imperative to simulate flights all over the world at all times of the day.

11 Likes