Honeycomb Yoke stopped working, customer support no where to be found

Anyone have any suggestions. I purchased a yoke 2-3 weeks before msfs 2020 was released from amazon (sold by amazon). I built my first flight sim rig in anticipation for msfs. The sim was released and I used the yoke for maybe 5-6 hours or so and all was fine. Then me and my family got sick (possibly covid) so did not have the flight sim on for about 2 weeks. Once feeling better I went to fire up msfs and the pc would not detect the yoke at all. The red light on the yoke would not turn on either. I tried different usb ports, different cable, tried entering calibration mode etc… no luck. Once in awhile the red light would come on for a few seconds and then off again, but only rarely when plugging it in. No windows usb connect/disconnect sounds happen either. So I tried contacting honeycomb support on their website and facebook page but no response, its been a week since reaching out to them. Anyone have any suggestions? Also anyone ever contact their support… did they actually respond to you?

Update:
** Honeycomb responded today to my facebook message. They said they have had over a thousand support requests in the past week due to the up coming throttle quandrant release. They apologized for the delay and said support would be contacting me asap. So hopefully I hear from them soon and can be up and running again.

With the self induced backorders, honeycomb staff may even have their just born grandchildren working on production. Must be all this “new way” of doing things. We used to just hire people. :face_with_monocle:

To be honest, if I gave a retailer a reasonable time to respond and got no response after a couple of attempts then I would contact Amazon and ask to return a faulty product.

Sometimes it’s easier, quicker and less frustrating to return a product. Life’s too short for unnecessary frustrations.

Buy it again if you must, maybe from a different supplier.

Honeycomb responded today to my facebook message. They said they have had over a thousand support requests in the past week due to the up coming throttle quandrant release. They apologized for the delay and said support would be contacting me asap. So hopefully I hear from them soon and can be up and running again.

2 Likes

Glad you’ve had a response anyway.

The yoke, by the way, seems to get great reviews and would be the one I would get if I was in the market for one. I think they also have a throttle quadrant coming out soon. That also looks promising.

Yeah for the few hours it was working if felt really nice and smooth, was very happy with it. I pre ordered the throttle quandrant about 1.5 months ago from mypilotstore, looking forward to that as well.

I’m sad to say I must be the only person who gave a mediocre review of the Honeycomb yoke and returned it to Amazon a few days later, trading it for an X-56. I found the Honeycomb switch quality to be very low and with no way of adjusting the spring pressures, it didn’t feel at all realistic. I’ve flown quite a few types and perhaps was expecting a bit more from something which had rave reviews but came away feeling very disappointed with my expensive purchase.

I would recommend it from the few hours mine was working but I am new to flight sims and have nothing else to compare it to. I think for the price and what is available in the market I believe it is about the best you can get as far as performance vs cost. The yoko yokes are over a thousand dollars and the logitech is at the other end of the spectrum but read the logitech is not very smooth (especially elevator controls), again this is just what I have read.

I’ve got to say that you have really surprised me here.

I’ve only heard great things about it. Everybody seems to say that it is on a completely different level to the Saitek one and a great build quality. If I was going to buy a yoke then I would have bought this one.

Thanks for the input and for voicing your own experience.

1 Like

Just got lucky and scored a used honeycomb yoke and logitech throttle quandrant on reddit… at least that will get me up and running and once I get the broken one repaired/replaced I will either have a spare or resell it or something.

What subreddit you used to get it if i may ask.?

It was listed on hardwareswap, good place for used pc hardware (normally pc components but anything computer related)

lol just saw the same post lol its funny I work from home all week except today and always constantly checking reddit/amazon and other stores for availability oh unlucky me…LOL

1 Like

Go into device manager, and delete all USB ports. Restart PC, this might fix it, some bottleneck possibly. This got one of my portable drives working, however, make sure the HC is plugged into a USB 3.0+ port or it’s my understanding it will not work correctly. You could have bad unit, amazon has excellent return policy,. if no joy from HC, and the fix above, I think I would just return it, and wait for their next product cycle to start. I have 6 week wait for TC order, and that is a guess at best. Good Luck.

2 Likes

I’ve only used the older x52 and pro when it was just Saitek and it looks like they have made significant improvements with the X-56 and rhino series but that price is close to the Honeycomb and the new throttle combined. I don’t like the X-5X throttle, always slips and have had to find additional ways to mount it. And that whole system is more attuned to military aircraft. I love the feel of the honeycomb, it was plug and play and compared to using a joystick the aircraft control is superior in every way. I have the honeycomb throttle ordered and can’t wait to have a realistic, securely mounted throttle system that’s close to the aircraft I’m flying. If I was playing DCS I would say definitely go with the X56. But for this game, I think it’s hard to beat the honeycomb.

1 Like

Just an update, it has been like 3 weeks and honeycomb support still has not gotten back to me, pretty disappointed in their customer service.