Horizon line visible through mountains and objects

How can this be ‘not planned’ to fix, everyone this is the worst issue I have and have had since release.

Utterly breaks VR and my soul.

3 Likes

If this is the worst issue you have, then I would consider you somewhat lucky.

4 Likes

I guess thats because so few are affected enough to complain. I imagine the worst cases are caused by a fairly obscure driver/hardware combination (that includes monitors and monitor cables) which would be impossible for Asobo to track down leaving only the nuclear option of an engine rewrite … That’s not happening anytime soon.

Pretty sure it affects everybody, but it depends on time of day and clouds. Some kind of lighting issue it seems.

1 Like

I hardly notice it if ever unless I hit the right angle or I actively look for it. I noticed it yesterday as I was messing around with the time to see the density of clouds. Other than that this is the first time I have noticed it since 3+ months.

1 Like

Yes I agree to a point but it will be far more noticable on some hardware compared to others … Personally I have never managed to replicate some of the worst examples seen on here and believe me I have tried.

I see it on both of my computers, which both have completely different hardware. Seems to be more prevalent around dusk, so I generally avoid flying at that time of day.

Correct. When the lighting is just right it does stand out but in most cases tends to blend in with everything else. Weather also does a good job of hiding it. I also doubt people spend most of their time just staring at the horizon as there’s lots of other things to see and do while flying. If I see it I just register it and then move on. Doesn’t bother me really. Bigger concerns to be had TBH.

1 Like

It’s most visible at two times of the day, morning, and evening, in a ~5 minute or so window, and having a clear view of the horizon helps but it doesn’t have to be.

I didn’t believe it was hardware dependant either, but an unwanted byproduct of their renderer.

3 Likes

Or both … VR simmers seem to be worst affected but maybe it’s more noticable on say OLEDs or using HDR that not everyone has. My monitor is a bog standard 32" HDTV using default picture settings, no dynamic effects and any visual adjustments I make are done in Windows or Nvidia, I sometimes wonder if this is why I never seem to notice such issues.

My monitor doesn’t have HDR, and I can make it appear on demand if I want. If you take a screenshot of the artefact, and post it here, whether the monitor you view it on has HDR or not won’t alter the pixels in that image. IIRC a really good place to see it is LOWI.

Sure but I’ve seen bad examples on here that for me were much less pronounced when I have tried to reproduce them on my PC. If I made a video showing e.g. screen tearing everyone would see it on the footage but it doesn’t mean they have the same sync problem.

1 Like

Some shots from LOWI, including time:

It can be just about seen at other times of day, as a much thinner black line.

1 Like

OK I’ll give it one more shot … what resolution and renderscale are you using?

1080p, 100%.

Thanks although that doesn’t matter … only now I somehow have to unsee this, it looks like a lake :dizzy_face:

Tbh that is as bad as I’ve ever seen however it’s such a small time window I’m not going to let it worry me. There are bigger things to worry about and I doubt this will be touched before graphics engine 2.0

1 Like

It’s ugly, but only for about 5 minutes in the morning, and the evening…unlike myself. :smiling_face_with_tear: :wink:

2 Likes

Fortunately I almost exclusively fly the Discus glider which is not geared up for night time (although it would be possible in RL with added kit)

2 Likes

the horizontal line is even visible on their current trailer which is on flightsimulator.com

6 Likes

States as not planned in the 09/03 release notes.