Horizon line visible through mountains and objects

Additional images are clearly superfluous at this point, but why not add another one to keep the thread active? :slight_smile: From the images and comments added so far, a few common denominators seem to be relevant:

• haze
  • a low setting/rising sun, and
  • (in order to have geometry in front of the horizon) a fairly low viewpoint.

There are definitely more important things to fix first, but I hope to see this glitch removed one day; it does take away from the immersion (especially in vr).

Happy flying everyone!

2 Likes

I would imagine the line could be airbrushed out, assuming it is just a different shade of what it is being drawn over, and not a fixed colour?

1 Like

Interesting idea… it is a black line…but it depends on resolution how wide it is. When you would set 100% resolution it should be 1-2 pixels. The contrast is not always enough to see it. Asobo could change the pixel shader in some way to average out (or airbrush) this line, averaging surrounding pixels. A post-processing shader. But that would be repairing a symptom, not solving the issue. Also the averaging over a straight line (applied always !) will disturb textured scenery items on the mountain, like houses and roads. You get another issue back. This is not an easy one… and there must be some root cause !

Information density goes up near the horizon… suppose I’d render a simple grid, you see this kind of distortions as well… some interference pattern, strange lines appear when it moves,

Notice that in above youtube video, the distortion depends on angle. When you are looking in the direction of the grid, the artefacts appear. If this is related to the MSFS issue, the horizon line could depend on direction. If you look exactly north, south, east or west it will be clearer/sharper ? My sunset pictures are often in west direction (where the sun is)

1 Like

Nice thing about LOWI Innsbruck: the valley has a W-E direction, with far horizons on either side of sunset/sundawn. The distortion confirms that the line coincides with a local, relatively far horizon. The lines seem to limit the flat part of the valley. This looks similar at sunset and at sundawn, on either side.

Innsbruck, looking at the sunset in western direction… this one is at least 5 pixels :slightly_frowning_face:

Detail, notice when there is a far horizon near… black just shines through… a sea horizon is not needed.

The time window is very narrow for this one… 1-2 minutes. Lighting (sun angle) plays a major role.

Remarkable: if I set the drone camera zoomin to 75% instead of 50% the line gets thinner… and the time window longer

Detail

There is no time window. Below I went near, in broad daylight, keep the 75% zoom. The issue remains visible ! (tesselation horizon ??)

The other side… sundawn, looking in eastern direction similar issue can be seen… clouds can amplify it.
Zoom is 50%

Detail

Nearer, 75% zoom…

3 Likes

I genuinely can’t believe this issue is still listed as a “Not Started” status — incredibly disheartening.

5 Likes

I’m starting to think that we’ll have to live with this, it doesn’t seem like an easy thing to solve…

I cancelled my xBox subscription months ago, specifically because of this bug. Virtual video and photography is impossible until this is resolved. What could possibly be the business case for NOT fixing this after so long?

and you play this game only for that reason ? …

The reason may be that users which play the game only for shoting photos are borred after taken some shots and cancel the su… in each case :wink:

They said in the latest Q&A a few days ago that fixing this is a tricky process because it’s very deep into the rendering pipeline. Would be nice if they could have avoided it from the start, but rest assured they’re well aware and working on it.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: well it’s not a game,so there’s that. :+1: But you are onto something…for me, taking a flight for hours in real life or with a sim is pretty boring. But the visuals make it more compelling and immersive. As a photographer, being able to work on cinematic style shots and take amazing photos is as enjoyable, as flying for hours on end might be for pilots. We all have different reasons for doing what we do and playing the game. ;-). If you had a big crack in your camera lens would your photos/videos of your life be as enjoyable? This is the equivalent of building a car sim and having ever present bugs on the windshield…it’s a very up front issue and it’s shocking that it’s taken this long to even address it. It’s not like they can’t afford it or don’t have enough dev resources.

1 Like

This issue is awful indeed… a screenshot killer, many times… but I’m not going to cancel my subscription, rather put back the time 20 minutes, the line often disappears, or gets more vague.

And I have hope they solve it, especially now… this is down deep in the rendering pipeline, and it may be related to DX-11. In the coming half year, it could be solved… with the introduction of DX-12… My theory about the issue: the grey line is the effective (max) terrain LOD horizon. Above the grey line you see a 2D projection into the sky dome… Below, you get 3D terrain detail. The boundary gives the issues, they need to blend it. But as these regions are in different modules, that can be a challenge…

5 Likes

I hope we get some more interessting missions, in special in case Helis come into the game.

And yes, I want not do critism why you want play the game… Its just that these “line” is visible in a limited daytime-range and I think you find a lot of nice places which looks very good outside the affected daytime. Of course we all hope that a fix is coming, but till now there are seemingly more important issues which had must fixed :slight_smile:
( may be the fix is already in dev with the coming changes for dx12 )

this are guesses… we not know what’s going on in background of MSFS development…

2 Likes

I also discovered the horizontal line for the first time today in ILS runway 34 approach to RJFF. I was worried that my graphics card was broken. It’s a known issue and I hope it will be fixed soon.

1 Like

When the sky is hazy there is a dark horizontal line which follows me at eye level as if the haze is not rendering at that specific altitude or something

Can be seen clearly in my attached screenshot to the right of the screen where there is more glare from the haze. This was taken in one of the landing challenges

Zendesk #115089

This has been an issue for a while now unfortunately.

Been like that for as long as I can remember. Not being fixed, according to the fix list

Yeah I got sick of these bugs that have been around forever and apparently aren’t getting patched so I decided to report them again to see if they can get some attention and maybe eventually get fixed

That’s it, we’ve had a huge update and these lines are still there. In my case, it bothers me a Little, but not enough to make me stop playing it.

Finally found a graphic “feature” that SU5 didn’t ruin. :slight_smile: Just recognized the lines are still there.

2 Likes

Yeap, confirmed the horizontal line is still present.