Horrible performance

I don’t know very much about it. All I know is that it is a first-person shooter video game series that started about 15 years ago. What does this have to do with MSFS?

For years it was used as a way of torture testing hardware. It could be configured to bring even the fastest hardware to it knees. There was nothing wrong with the software, the hardware at the time insufficiently advanced.

MSFS cannot stop you from configuring graphical options that will overly tax your hardware either. If you are configuring the graphics settings for 4K Ultra on what you describe as low end hardware, why do you expect better performance?

I’m going to go out on a limb, and guess you are CPU bound, unless you are just talking anecdotally about others, and not yourself, but if not then the patch later this month should improve things for you.

I found your earlier post that listed your spec. Your processor is not as fast as my 9900K, so you are definitely CPU bound most of the time.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/4028vs4044

RTX 3080, i9900KF and 32Gb RAM and same experience here, I get 15-20 fps on large airports and +60 when on cruise.
The new update that comes on the 27th should fix this.

1 Like

At 4K? I used to get 40fps at Heathrow, and I was using a Nvidia 1080 with my 9900K at 1080p. Which airports?

Nope, 2k.

There seems to be a memory leak. Check this stream I did yesterday, I leave LEMD with pretty good fps, but when I arrive at GCTS my fps are like 10-15. However, if I leave from GCTS I get 40 fps on departure.

1 Like

Your FPS is definitely far lower than your system specs would suggest so something isn’t working correctly.
This is what I would attempt if I were you.

1. Clean install of latest Nvidia drivers (Make sure you tick custom installation, not express and then checkmark clean install)
  2. Disable HAGS (Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling)
  3. Make sure Game Mode is set to OFF
  4. Disable fullscreen optimisations on the Flight Sim.exe file
  5. Disable DPI Scaling on the Flight Sim.exe file

If you don’t know how to do any of the above Youtube will help. Mark from the Flight Hanger did a good video a couple weeks ago showing the effects of game mode and hags specifically on certain GPU’s, and it killed frame rates. That might be having an impact.

Let’s just wait for the 27th!!

I got high hopes that the release of SU5 will change the user experience immensly!!

Fingers crossed😅

1 Like

Even when it shouldn’t have happened :slight_smile:

I would also add that confirming the configuration is exactly the same is tricky. You have to trust that the other person knows what they are talking about in the first place, and also being honest about how they have things set up. People are resistant to change, and at my request to try testing an issue out with no Community mods installed, the response has sometimes been “But I don’t want to fly without mods!”. Getting defensive doesn’t help resolve the issue, and I wasn’t suggesting that they fly without them in perpetuity, just to test if the issue is sim related, or mod related.

Depending on their initial response to free help being offered, I either bow out to leave them to it, or continue to assist where I can.

1 Like

I have a gig internet connection with around 1ms latency.

It’s not a huge slow down. And I haven’t had it on in the month or so I’ve had a fast CPU. I’ve flown with a friend many times and it’s ok, it’s just among the things that add to lowered fps. I’m not saying it’s unusable. It’s just more for your computer to work on. And, for me, most of the time, it doesn’t add much to my experience unless I’m specifically flying with someone else. Seeing a bunch of other random simmers can be fun, but often people are flying in ways that don’t especially add realism to the sim. That’s fine, I fly crazy sometimes and in ways I’d never dream of in a real plane, that’s part of the fun of sims. But I don’t always want to watch others doing it.

The analog speedometer in my automobile goes from 0-160 mph. Nothing tells me that my car can go 160 mph. If I took my car to a racetrack and attempted to drive it at 160 mph, it’s not going to happen because all the components of car aren’t built to go that fast. I’m probably “engine limited” as indicated by the tachometer red line. If I wanted to race competitively and drive 160 mph, the car would need a lot of modifications and upgrades. Why does the auto manufacture build and sell cars with 160 mph speedometers when they know the autos cannot go that fast? If I truly wanted to drive 160 mph then I should buy a car made for both street driving and race track performance.

I think my experience and expectations with MSFS parallel my speedometer example.

Also, there are huge software design differences between a first-person shooter video game and a simulator like MSFS. They have different speed performances because of different designs. I have a first-person shooter video game on my PC often used in benchmarking processors and graphics boards. I routinely get over 100 FPS in the game. However, I do not expect MSFS to deliver 100 FPS because of design differences.

1 Like

You may need to manage those, in that case. But who knows after the 27th? I’m really looking forward to what they managed to squeeze out of my 9900K.

1 Like

I had exactly this experience yesterday when departing from KLAX at +/- 40 FPS and 10 minutes later it became one horrible stutter fest.

I checked Task Manager and saw only low CPU/GPU use, but an increase of used memory from 16 GB to 25GB+. Restarting MSFS and departing from the same airport fixed it and memory use did not exceed 16GB.

Memory leaks indeed.

1 Like

Task Manager is a front end system that only shows certain Info accumulated. Try Resource Manager. So much hidden in the background!

Yep, exactly my issue.
The new update coming on the 27th supposedly makes a ton of CPU usage improvements as well as a RAM usage reduction, I am hoping the issue will be solved then, we will just have to wait and see.

1 Like

Thank you for enlightening the OP’er and the others who must be living under a rock, to be unaware of the ATL issue, along with some other known locales with FPS issues. Some locales have been addressed on the issue. As said hopefully the upcoming update will address many of those issues but again, SEARCH and RESEARCH go hand in hand here.

GTX 1660 Ti, 8 cores @3.0 Ghz, 64GB DDR4

I’ve flown over hundreds of photogrammetry cities including Los Angeles with zero lag.

However yesterday when flying over Atlanta, in multiple slower planes(just as I did in LA and hundreds of others), and it was incredibly frustrating as it was the worst lag I’ve experienced to date.

Is this happening to anyone else and is there a way to fix this?

Yeah, it’s super heavy on the performance. I had to disable photogrammetry to fly the DC-6 out of there. It bogged my framerate down to 10 fps. Without photogrammetry I got 25-30 fps.

i8700k 3,7 GHz, Geforce GTX 1070, 48 GB RAM.

2 Likes

Any idea as to why I can do other very detailed cities like LA but this one is causing problems? Also I don’t know much about pc’s and I just post my specs that someone smarter than me helped build my pc, how does my pc specs compare to yours?

Yeah I flew the FBW A320 into there and got down to a SLOW slide show ( 1 - 6 FPS). But it didn’t affect two other people I was flying with!

2 Likes