How can we find the stutter reasons

Had to turn off multiplayer as well. The stuttering was the worst I had ever seen after the update. Seems to have fixed it so far but I only flew from KFLL - MYNN (majority was just ocean) going to put it to the real test tonight.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a big difference between stutters and low FPS. Iā€™ve experienced both and they are distinctly different. The stutters that Iā€™ve experienced can be up to a couple seconds or more (I guess that means 0.5 fps?). And a consistent 30 fps seems ā€˜smoothā€™ enough to me and I doubt I would notice much if any difference between a smooth and consistent 30 fps and a smooth and consistent 50 fps. Most movies that we all watch run at 24 fps - now granted if you are playing a video game w/ lots of very fast moving bits it is better to have more fps, but Iā€™m not sure a FS needs anything more than 40 fps as long as itā€™s consistent (or unless youā€™re supersonic in a fighter jet at very low altitudes).

Yes i understand and i definately think asobo should first fix the basics. Performance is not that great for a game in this era. As for the stutters i donā€™t experience them so badly as you discribe. But i meant to say that people who donā€™t experience stutters at all or say everything is smooth, but on the other hand only have 20 to 30 fps just have a very different opinion about what smooth isšŸ˜…

1 Like

all flight simulators dont need more than 30 FPS if flying in an A320 for instance , people are obsessed with FPS but simulators are different than shoot em up games , its a fallacy to be aiming for 70 plus frames per second , this is not what we are talking about here , it is where it freezes for a 0.25 seconds every other second causing a slideshowā€¦this is what is happening with mutiplayer enabled after WU4
So i agree with you , sorry I not aiming this at anyone , just reiterating your excellent point

1 Like

Like i said, different people prefere different things and have a different opinion about what is ā€˜smoothā€™.

For me 30fps is awfull.

Movies are completely unrelated to games. monitors use 60hz for a looooong time allready for a reason and 120 + hz monitors are allready becoming more and more standard. Consoles are prioritizing 60fps. But AGAIN, itā€™s okay to be satisfied with 30fps. But not everybody consideres this as ā€˜smoothā€™. Since iā€™m using a 144hz monitor and being able to run lotā€™s of games with more then 100fps i even donā€™t like 60fps anymore. I know this is me being spoiled and has nothing to do with asobo/microsoft ofcourse. But i just think thereā€™s alot of people complaining because they are more used to seeing better fps and a smoother image, While otherā€™s donā€™t see the problem because theyā€™re satisfied with 30fps.

So the statement flight soms donā€™t ā€˜needā€™ more then 30fps is just an opionion. In my opinion every game (especially in the year 2021, or even more the last decade) should be able to run at atleast 60fps with the latest hardware because this is basically the industries standard. Thereā€™s no single reason a flight sim might not be able to do this.

Ps. The stutters as are described here are ofcourse the real problem here, so iā€™m sorry iā€™m arguing about something else now. But still this is somewhat related to how msfs is running in general i think.

3 Likes

So the statement flight soms donā€™t ā€˜needā€™ more then 30fps is just an opionion. In my opinion every game (especially in the year 2021, or even more the last decade) should be able to run at atleast 60fps with the latest hardware because this is basically the industries standard. Thereā€™s no single reason a flight sim might not be able to do this.
[/quote]

I agree , 60 fps for MSFS would be great , i dont get that but i dont check my FPS all the time like some people do
I just want a sim that doesnt stutter , everything was fine until Asobo/microsoft introduced WU4
now multiplayer is un playable
Do you use multiplayer by any chance?

4 Likes

No donā€™t use multiplayer. Just a little bit of traffic. I think 20% for ga and airliners and some road traffic. But i have to say that i donā€™t experience more stutters then earlier builds. Only changes in fps like mentioned before.

Btw i donā€™t fly all the times with a fps overlay, but without it itā€™s easy to see the difference betwrrn 70 and 40 for example. But iā€™m not complaining, as i donā€™t havr alot of the issues others report. (No ctdā€™s, no bad stuttering and no update install trouble) so msfs is possibly running as good as it gets on my system.

Let us know how you get on with your flight tonight with multiplayer off as you did earlier ā€¦cheers

Will do buddy!

Do report if you find anything interesting as well! Take care

Well , thatā€™s ok if you dont use multiplayer thatā€™s your prerogative ā€¦but a lot of people do

Try it out and see what FacedCarrot and I are saying ā€¦

Thanks certainly will mate , you take care too

Iā€™ll try that nowšŸ‘

1 Like

Yeah its just something that is as you say , dependent on how you want to use the sim , but I am just saying there are alot of peed off folk who use multiplayer for fly inā€™s and it worked fine up until now ā€¦
sorry im sounding like a scratched record :weary:

With multiplayer i seem to have the same issue. Low fps and bad stuttering on take off. Iā€™m making a short comparison video nowā€¦

I just posted this article in a separate thread ā€“ hadnā€™t seen anyone post it yet, but obviously I was wrong.

Itā€™s good to see itā€™s not just me!!! Def curious if the latest Windows update is part of the cause?

yes unfortunately its in a thread which has 500 odd posts , this is of the same theme
Multiplayer is unplayable at the moment , just hope it gets fixed soon ā€¦

Iā€™m speaking of the PCGAMER article that came out about Windows update causing a lot of stutter issues with several gamesā€¦ A recent Windows 10 update is trashing framerates and causing games to stutter | PC Gamer

1 Like

I think thats a bit of a red herring , as it would be causing stuttering with multiplayer off as well
plus its a security update , Im not going to uninstall that , besides it was working fine when that came out
WU4 has caused this im sure

1 Like

multiplayer is for sure a culprit ā€“ I think itā€™s not just one thing, unfortunately.

We also must take into account all of the mods and liveries that we all use ā€“ if these donā€™t get updated after each update, youā€™ve got incompatibility issues, stutters, FPS loss, etc. I do hope asobo gets it fixed soon.

1 Like

yes i have heard about the liveries , thing is people have got this issue if everyone else is using the same liveries and another user has a different livery ā€¦it causes everyone to have stutters
I dont know the answer but like you and many many others , hope it gets fixed asap