How do I make a model move?

I fancy getting some model boats moving around on some predetermined paths. The sim itself does it and a few other third party mods do too so It’s clearly possible.

How does one get this done? I can’t find much or any info out there. I asked on fsdeveloper but hardly anyone ever responds to anything on there.

Do you have any knowledge about off-line traffic with bgl files? Have you seen this?

MSFS - Global AI Ship Traffic FSX, P3D and MSFS2020 | FSDeveloper

I’ve seen that and that’s the type of thing I’m looking for, but on a much smaller scale. These models would loop on a few miles.

As for the bgl file bit. Nope.

I assumed there was an untapped section of the SDK for this.

Give me some time to do some search and I will get back at you. :thinking:

Offline traffic (fs9,fsx, p3d and MSFS) is defined by files in the form of “traffic_some airline air.bgl”. In my setup MSFS default offline traffic is here:

E:\MSFS\Official\OneStore\fs-base-ai-traffic\scenery\world\traffic

To decompile traffic files you need some program. In this case I decompile default traffic with AIFP3 which is available here:

Stuff 4FS - AI Flight Planner

In the picture attached you can see the interface.

AIFP is a very handy program if you want to compile/create/modify traffic files. I’ve been doing that for almost 15 years. If you want to experiment you will find lots of files at avsim, aig, flightsim.com.

Boat traffic now is different somehow and requires a different program. You can find one in this site with useful information:

Flight Simulator Ships Project (gratisim.fr)

I have never used it, so I can’t be more informative but I think it is what you need. It is possible that you will need fsx sdk but I am not very sure. In any case, if you need it I think you can find fsx sp2 sdk (previous fsx sdk are discontinued, so I am not sure if it will work) here :

SDK Installation (FSX) - FSDeveloper Wiki

1 Like

That’s definitely vastly more info than anyone else has ever coughed up. Thank you.

Sounds like it may be beyond me but I’ll have a look.

If asobo can do their own moving boat traffic I assume the sdk has something. They refer you to the living world section of the sdk docs which are of course empty and useless.

I don’t usually provide that much information, not because I don’t want to, but because It is a bit tedious for me, and I get bored writing. I made an exception because I like your sceneries, the nice descriptions that come with them and I enjoy very much, and because I think that I have some knowledge (very limited) that could benefit you and others here.

1 Like