How do I start a flight with AI Piloting OFF?

Xbox Version, 787 from LAX to AMS, starting at a gate, with true-to-life settings, and I make sure all of the assists are turned off including communications with ATC.

But no matter what I do, when I press “Ready To Fly” the AI Piloting is turned on, and it immediately starts firing up the engines and gets clearance from ATC. I don’t want it to do that.

How do I get it to start the flight without the AI Piloting turned on?

*edit: It finally worked, but I had to fiddle with the settings and reboot the game several times before it would start without AI Piloting.

3 Likes

Try to turn off the assistance in the settings. I hope this will help you.

As I said in the post, I already made sure all of the assists are turned off. But it still starts the flight with the AI Piloting on.

1 Like

Start a flight. Turn it off in the in the sim menu from the AI button on the toolbar. Exit the flight.

Then start the flight from scratch and it should then be disabled. If it isn’t then there may be an issue.

I tried that also, it didn’t fix it.

1 Like

Sounds like something else is broken. :grimacing:

I tried to get AI pilot working on my PC so I could watch my flight if nothing else, but to no avail…it isn’t working at all from what I could tell.

Happened to me a long time ago. I usually ALT+F4 (hard close MSFS on PC) which, I supposed, prevent your settings from being saved to the cloud.

Change your settings for ai assistance to custom if you had not on custom then select what you need to select

I’m having the same exact issue. I have all assists turned off and yet “AI Piloting” is still turned on. It causes it to autostart the plane.

3 Likes

I am having the same issue.

The first time I switched AI piloting on it now is on at the start of every flight even when I switch it off during a flight .

Any ideas anyone ?

2 Likes

/sigh. I swear this sim is getting worse rather than better…

I now have this bug too. I used the AI Piloting to check something earlier, and now every time I start a flight the AI is turned on again.

Very irritating.

I came here for solution and found this thread. The Alt-F4 trick did not work for me.

3 Likes

Ugh. Mine is doing this now too. I can’t start cold and dark anymore cuz ai pilot starts on every flight even though I’ve tried all of the above to fix it. There must be a work around that does work? I’m on Xbox.

2 Likes

I think I found a workaround : save a flight with the ai pilot off! I also restarted but that may be optional.

I only have ai on radio management only for ifr flights

I’ve had this issue countless times. Even after turning AI pilot off, ending the flight, and starting a new flight, the AI takes over like I had never turned it off. Even after changing the settings to True to Life. Sometimes even restarting the sim it’s still on. Absolutely crazy.

I’m wondering if this is an Xbox only issue because we probably would have seen it mentioned more if this was happening on PC.

2 Likes

Where are you turning the assist off? in the in flight settings, (menu bar at the top of the screen)? Or in the Options Menu in the main (startup) screen?

Menu bar during flight. Where would I turn it off from the main menu/startup?

Aha! There in likely lies your problem.
I am not at the right computer or I would fire you a screen shot of the menu, but I’ll see what I can do from memory…

On the main screen select the the OPTIONS page. You should see three panels. GENERAL , ASSISTANCE and CONTROLS.

Click on ASSISTANCE. In here you will find all the assists that you can adjust. Some of the menu choices can be expanded by clicking on the heading. Somewhere in there you will find all the AI pilot options. SHUT THEM OFF!

Now you should have control back.

Appreciate the response but you’re talking about two different things.

Under Assistance Options > Piloting (I’m assuming this is what you meant by Controls), there are options for assisted takeoff, landing, trim, etc. this is not the same as toggling AI piloting.

There is not a way to turn off AI Piloting from the options menu. That would be fine if the sim remembered your last settting (ex. AI Pilot OFF) in game, but that’s not the case, leading to frustrating situations where the AI is turned on every single time you start a new flight. Totally ruins the ability to take off on your own or start cold and dark.

Edit: toggling difficult options to a new setting, then back to your original settings seems to work as a workaround to turn the AI pilot off.

3 Likes