How do you avoid riding the brakes?

In both sim and real life videos you hear “don’t ride the brakes to reduce brake wear and overheat” but how do you do it on planes with enough idle thrust to keep you moving?

I’m thinking for example the Longitude and the FBW A320, on both of them I just give enough throttle to make them barely move off the ground and then put it back to idle, but if I don’t ride the brakes they keep accelerating beyond 30 knots, even at weights close to MTOW.

So do they have an exaggerated idle thrust compared to real life or there’s another method? I know turboprops use a touch of reverse thrust to control their speed but clearly I’ve never seed this on a jet.

You apply brakes until it drops to below 30 then release the brakes. Then once it gets passed 30 again, you apply the brakes until it drops below 30 and you release it again… and repeat. On the FBW A320neo, that’s how it is in real life, because of the larger engine, it provides more thrust at IDLE power, so it can taxi at idle.

3 Likes

Thanks yes that’s what I did, I thought taxiing at a constant speed was safer and almost mandatory

From the A320 Flight Crew Techniques Manual:

On long, straight taxiways, and with no ATC or other ground traffic constraints, the PF should allow the aircraft to accelerate to 30 kt, and should then use one smooth brake application to decelerate to 10 kt. The PF should avoid continuous brake applications. The GS indication on the ND should be used to assess taxi speed.

3 Likes