How do you figure out arrival airport weather

Is that weather from the internet or weather from the sim?

If it is from the internet, there already exist several apps that can provide the same information, such as LNM or just doing a METAR query in Google. It’s nice to have it in the FMS, but if it doesn’t match the sim, then how useful is it?

It’s work in progress but you can chose from several sources. Funnily, if you chose “meteoblue (MSFS)” it still not matches in-sim weather. Matching the weather in the sim would be the only thing that made sense, though (IVAO / Vatsim aside).

Do you have any info about this? I saw in mcdu menu options for various metar and atis sources, but no option for actually getting any information about it.

1 Like

The ATIS should be accessible within VHF coverage. So over 120nm out at FL360. In the sim it is not.

In real life we have this, but we also have ACARS which can print out the current METAR or TAF at any (mostly) time.

1 Like

For IFR planning you use the TAF not the METAR. Alternate requirements are based on the weather at your time of arrival plus or minus a specified time based on whether you are flying under part 91, 121, or 135.

Not really. I can’t test it and haven’t looked up the specs. My assumption is just that you can link to e. g. Navigraph via SimConnect if you have a subscription and their app running in the background.

Only with a320nx mod which has metar, but not yet atis or anything else

You can use real world METAR, but it’s as much of a roll of the dice as to whether it will be accurate as the useless ATIS reports that rarely reflect conditions at the airport.

Completely Correct, METARS do not give you runways in use. The MSFS ATC is fundamentally unchanged from Flightsim X, which is dissappionting.

For flight planing I use flightradar24, the gold membership enables weather data. I see the wind direction, pressure and so on

Some smart programmer wrote this program. I find it works very well but may not always coincide with what MSFS is using weather and runway wise.

2 Likes