How large is your MS game folder after the latest patch?

I’m sitting at around 220gb of data in my main drive after the latest patch. I did something wrong with my account and had to reinstall the entire game. I’m wondering if I have duplicates or perhaps old files that should be deleted, as in renamed files that were moved or not overwritten.
Most sources I see is the whole installation should require about 150gb and I only have the free addons installed on my drive.
Thank you

I agree with your suspicions, you most likely still have the old instance on your drive. Last time I checked, I was looking around 110ish gb. If you can not find your old instance, there is a freeware program called WinDirStat that will allow you to scan your drives and diagram what lives on those drives. An instance as large as MSFS2020 will stand out. Once you find your old instance, rename the root folder for that instance and run the sim to make sure it still works. Once your confidant that you have identified the correct “old instance”, go ahead and delete it or at least move it to another storage drive if your too worried about just deleting it.

2 Likes

How do you determine with confidence that you’re looking at an ‘old instance’?

1 Like

Use File Explorer and search for folders named Packages. If multiples are found, check file sizes by right-clicking and then Properties. Cross-check they contain Community and Official subfolders. If the Packages folders are roughly 100GB each then your suspicions are correct.

1 Like

It’s a mess, when I try to rename folders I’m reminded I don’t have permission and so I’ll probably uninstall and wipe the ms2020 drive and start over.

My Official folder is:

120 GB (129,656,813,875 bytes)

1 Like

109 GB “Official” folder here. Original purchase was the “Deluxe” middle option. I only have two optional addons in that folder. My Community folder is a whopping (sarcasm) 219 MB.

1 Like

I found the package files listed twice and renamed ProgramFIles to ProgramFIles OLD and that did the trick, back down to 120gb
Thanks everyone!!!

1 Like

OK, the mods are included “Deluxe” version.
Have already ordered the next SSD with 1GB :hot_face:

1 Like