How Realistic is VR

@CptLucky8, where does one find that? I’d be quite interested in seeing it.

For now anyway, it is a bandaid solution. Hopefully these issues will be addressed in the neat future.

1 Like

It’s just a friend I’m flying with :smiley:
The recording is low quality since it’s done with the Quest’s built in recording feature and youtube mangles it further because it doesn’t seem to like the 1024x1024 video and turns it into blurry 720p, looks great in real time.

1 Like

HP Reverb G2 is the one to get. Its the best out there for the sim. Not the cheapest though and difficult to get hold of right now. Although if you’re in the US they seem a bit easier to come by.

A cheaper option might be the Oculus Rift S. Not quite as good as the Quest 2 but cheaper and you don’t need a Facebook account to get it up and running. You could get a Rift S to try out VR and if you like it you could always sell it and invest in a better headset at a later date. That was my thinking getting a Quest 2. My plan is to use it for now and sell it later this year. I’ll either get a G2 when they’re easier to come by or hold on and see what other headsets are possibly going to come out this year.

Up until now I guess they’ve been quite expensive and a niche product. Its pretty clear the popularity of the sim is making people really want one though. I’m totally sold on VR. Even though there’s benefits of playing the sim on a flat screen its just not the same and I find it difficult going back.

Its pretty clear the popularity of VR is going to grow and grow. Within the lifetime of FS2020 it may become the default way the majority of people experience it.

2 Likes

Yes, having had the Quest 2 for around 3 weeks now I would agree with you. I have a good 35 inch ultra monitor and two 27 inch side monitors also but now find it difficult to sim in 2 d despite the blurrier textures in VR.

I think ‘significant take up wise’ VR might now be a couple or so years away. Better PC hardware, next version HMDs and more optimised VR software is still needed I think. I probably jumped in slightly early but it’s definitely an interesting experience :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Whoa, good luck with the PPL! Yeah VR is immersive but I guess from your perspective it would help with hand controllers so you can get a feel for where phsycially to interact with the cockpit. Using a mouse just isn’t the same and you don’t have the same muscle memory training you would have if you used your hands instead. However orientation and perception of depth in VR is exactly what you need for flying I would suggest and would be very limited on a 2d monitor.

2 Likes

Which makes me wondering why did they never envisioned implementing VR from the start and it was only because this forum community was vocal they shifted direction. This make me wondering as well whether it shows the main focus was the Xbox (where there is no VR at all) or whether they didn’t know the simmers because 20% of us own a VR headset already (11.5% using it for flight simulation):

https://download.navigraph.com/docs/flightsim-community-survey-by-navigraph-2020-final.pdf

I’m glad they did implement VR in the end but it is certain there is more to do to make it more practical.

@Kilrahvp, apologies if I’m asking you a question you don’t know the answer to, but any chance you know how to record video like that if you’re using a Reverb G2? Thanks!

Sorry, don’t know! I’ve seen there are a few posts about that around though.

Oculus Rift S is actually $50 more expensive than Quest 2 64GB even after an $100 sale discount. You probably have to spend at least $50 for a better Quest 2 strap solution though.

Don’t buy an Oculus ANYTHING until FB either sells them to someone else, or at the very least stops their “You must use FB, and use it in a manner in which we like, or we’ll disable your Oculus” (a) bed of roses.

They’re trying (and succeeding) to corner the VR market, which is bad on more levels than I can count. The best thing that could ever happen to VR is if everyone who owns an Oculus device took it out, destroyed it, video recorded themselves doing so along with their reasons, and bought a more worthy replacement.

Yeah, they’re selling them for cheap, but they’re doing that because of what they’re getting in value on the backend from their FB platform.

Just say no to the O. That should be a hashtag.

2 Likes

@CptLucky8, they had at least a dozen people working on VR for well over a year before it’s release, according to their own words on one of their interview shows. The forum community may have accelerated their timeline, but it in no way caused them to add VR to the product in the first place. That was on the timeline for a very long time before most of us even knew this place existed. Hell, maybe since before it even did exist.

1 Like

I’m not sure it really was:
Microsoft Flight Simulator Won't Support VR At Launch, 'Maybe' Later On
VR Now 'Very High' On Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Priorities

[update]
Microsoft On Flight Simulator VR Support: 'We Will Try Our Darnedest To Make It Happen'

“Right after the E3 trailer came out there was a lot of people making that exact assumption, that ‘oh yeah this better be supporting VR right from the get go’. It honestly wasn’t our plan.

No it wasn’t in their initial plans, despite having already a team of specialized developers on VR/AR who have been working on other Asobo AR/VR titles: https://www.holoforge.io/

I’m glad they’ve listened because at last, there it is!

Yes, but according to their own words, at the time that article was written, they already had at least a dozen people on a team working on nothing but VR. You don’t put that many high-priced developers on a team for something that only maybe might get released “some day”.

Well I’m happy with the VR experience. I have a CV1 and have flown in VR initially in FSX with FlyInside addon. Then in P3dV4’s native mode. However I preferred the FlyInside implementation and used it instead in P3d. Finally, I’ve LOVED Xplane 11’s implementation of VR, which is the best user interface in VR so far and was my preferred experience.

With all the issues we’ve seen in MSFS, I wasn’t hopeful for an initial good experience but from the very start I was blown away. I was initially using low and medium settings but the quality of the scenery allowed for a better experience. Now, with feedback from the community, I fly with ultra and high settings and have smooth flight. I haven’t flown in Xplane for a while now.

I might add that I had planned to get a G2 at Christmas as I guessed my old CV1 would be a disappointment in MSFS. I was so happy with my experience that I’m keeping it for now.

I’m LOVING VR in MSMF.

2 Likes

I stand corrected, it is not “this” forum community indeed, it was “the” community instead. For the timeline though, please see the [update] I’ve posted above.

I am now re-flying all my good non-VR flights. They are way better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This may be old hat for VR vets but I think if you want to impress the average person with your VR headset, some of the animations in the VR version of the 3D Viewer are pretty mind-blowing. And the average non-flight simming person might find it easier and more fun to view those animations than trying to fly a plane in MSFS.

If you view the 3D animations in the VR 3D viewer, be sure you have your Settings, Mixed-Headset Display, Quality of My Home settings set to High for level of detail and quality of effect and 1080p for window resolution. Having the animations play on the grassy terrace of the Cliff House works pretty well and if you’re facing back towards the interior of the house with the city skyline on the right side of the screen a bit, you can see the shadows of any human animated figures on the terrace slabs as well as the figures themselves as they perform - pretty amazing!

If you haven’t tried this before, first you “shoot” the icon of the animation that you want to display and when it pops into 3D, you shoot it again in the middle of the 3D figure to cause the animation to play. Shoot it again or say, “Close,” to get the animation to stop.

The Skating Penguin, the (bicycle-riding) Chameleon, the dancers, the weight-lifter, the Tower of Inverted Dixie cups were especially good. The weight-lifter is the longest animation and, for me, the most stunning animation in its realism as the guy describes what he’s doing throughout the animation. You can grab a hold of the edge of the containing cube to stretch or shrink the size of an animation or to move the animation around to get the most complete view of animation path, if it has one (if you don’t watch it, the bicycle-riding chameleon will bike right through you and then you’ll have to figure out where the critter got to!).

@JALxml These are fun and well done, I agree. IMHO if you really want to impress someone with VR, just launch Alyx and try the balcony, and progress up to the scene not long after where you’re on the roof tops and there is a vessel flying over… Guaranteed WOW effect.

4 Likes