How Realistic is VR

It will probably be a lot better in a year or two. The next generation of headsets should be way better. Better computers will allow this sim to run pretty fast in another five years, maybe sooner.

I guess the end game would be VR headsets in a shared study-level cockpit with all settings maxed over NYC in heavy traffic in a blizzard using payware airports and other add-ons, and having it all run seemless. What do you think? Another 5-7 years? 10?

2 Likes

@JALxml, as a total VR noob who has basically only done MSFS since I got my device, I think I can fairly say that most of us noobs don’t even know what that means lol. Your instructions might be helpful, but I’m gonna try to tackle that TestHMD thing first.

1 Like

Foveated rendering, maybe alongside eye tracking should make a big difference and i suspect that Nvidia probably have that on their radar and this should reduce the pain on the GPU significantly, with the stuff away from your focus not needing to be as sharply rendered.

However, how long that takes to arrive, in an affordable form, will be the big question.

1 Like

Same here for rudder sensitivity. My takeoffs usually resemble someone who’s spent the last 12 hours sitting at the airport’s bar.

4 Likes

NVidia is offering this for a long time already and they are expanding on these technologies. They are not used in a widespread manner because developers don’t build upon some of these technologies for their own reasons.

Some might be tempted arguing these are NVidia only technologies which won’t help AMD customers of the same game, however metrics are indicating* 85% of flight simulation users are on NVidia.

For more information on NVidia tech:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/direct-x-12-nvidia-dlss-2-1/325393/8?u=cptlucky8

*see latest Navigraph survey

1 Like

One can only hope.

I was thinking of the difficulty of selling someone like my wife. Since I offered her a first peek of a VR cockpit view, whenever I’d subsequently stumble across an amazing MSFS VR view that I wanted her to see, she just wasn’t interested in donning the headset. But she’s very interested in dancing and fitness so some VR exhibit simple and sweet and more everyday is a more likely subject matter to impress her. She is simply prejudiced against gaming, simming, first-person shooters (I used to wait until she was asleep in a distant room or out of the house to play COD!).

Yeah those two things have been talked about now for going on 4 years. It would be nice to see them come to fruition.

@JALxml, well your instructions were quite helpful, once I printed them out and decoded them. My wife was impressed, too, especially with checking out the weight lifting guy, and watching the little lizard drive around and change colors.

But we’re quite tolerant of each other’s bad habits, for lack of a better term. She puts up with me VR simming, and I put up with her burying her head in tictok, so we both win!

Still haven’t tried the HMD test stuff, I can’t rip myself away from MSFS for long enough lol…

1 Like

The wife let out a little yelp of surprise and delight as she didn’t position the chameleon far enough away from her and it rode right through her body and disappeared to she didn’t know where! Suddenly, she was looking all around, twisting her head this way and that trying to figure out where it got to and when she espied it again, there was another “sexist” yell of delight, “There he goes!” Why do pesky chameleons always have to be guys!?

1 Like

@HawkMoth9135, does your momma know you use that kind of language? :wink:

Sometimes this forum impresses me by how outright stupid some of the in depth conversations make me feel. Some really smart folks to be found. A lot of whiners, true, but a LOT of very, very smart peeps, too.

In other words, we can then tell someone to “go foveate yourself!?” :rofl:

3 Likes

Is this the famous F word? :innocent:

1 Like

It is now!

3 Likes

Our whole universe may actually be a 2-D hologram virtual reality because physicists found that some nature of the universe (like in black hole) is strangely 2-D like.

My recent VR experience only strengthened me with such belief. VR is exactly a fake but like-real 3D virtual reality which was projected to us in 2D through some clever programming. More computing power will eventually make VR made by us close enough to reality. Then combined with procedural generated universe (I strongly recommend any VR player to try The Space Engine game) and powerful AI (gosh it can already beat human in Go!),

in 20-30 years we may build a simulated VR universe with smart enough virtual population and simulated society. Then if we can simulate senses other than seeing and hearing, VR will create a world where real people can comfortably “dream in”. I already have a vision how VR can greatly help those people bound to bed by their illness or disability. Sooner or later even normal people may want to live in VR at least for a while. Some underprivileged may even want to live a more decent life in the VR world.

All these will all happen very soon because all we need now for better VR is calculation power (even for building nose, tongue or skin sensors), which we will surely gain much with more time. In comparison with other technical visions and revolutions such as automatic driving, VR is much more futuristic and philosophical.

Then suppose there’s already an advanced civilization, certainly building our universe in VR won’t be too hard, and they’ve probably already built many. This itself is already an argument why by mathematic probability, we have much higher chance to live in a VR universe than live in a real physical one.:slight_smile:

If our universe is indeed a VR, then lots of things can be explained much easier, including major religious gods, legends, and beliefs. Also, many fundamentals in physics will have better reasons, including the fixed speed of light (the information transmission speed limit for a VR) or quantum physics (limited calculation power won’t allow VR to simulate scales less than Planck Distance, and no reality will be calculated for you unless you actually observe anything to trigger the quantum collapse),…,etc.

Thanks to MSFS, I first time in my whole life see the true power and potential of VR, and believe more than ever that we all already live in a VR Matrix created by the Almighty.

Personally I think that augmented reality has some seriously weird (for lack of a better term) implications. It’s being used in military and law enforcement scenarios for training but takes on a twist like the video of the mother who lost her daughter at a very young age and seeing her “alive” in the room with her was, ugh. I don’t know. I don’t think I’d want to walk into the living room with my headset on and see my deceased family all sitting together on the sofa. On second thought, maybe it wouldn’t be THAT bad as it would be the first time I wouldn’t see them trading verbal jabs at one another.

I’ll tell you what - it’s a LOT easier (for me anyways) to fly in VR with a clickable cockpit than it is for me to fly one where you have to remember key commands and THEN do everything by feel on the keyboard.

Whether 2D or VR I only have things linked to rudder, stick/yoke, quadrant and peddles for basic flight parameters. Peddles are always in the same spot and as is everything else. Don’t see how anyone could forget where their hardware is placed as you would always be facing forward with feet on the peddles (or close by) unless of course your swiveling around in your chair and your orientation to you hardware gets skewed.

As a side note, one mistake I made on hardware was buying a “gaming mouse” as the old Logitech finally gave out. Sweet Lord ■■■■■…if you so much as breathed it sent the curser clear across the desktop - and that was at its lowest sensitivity setting. Talk about feeling old. I can’t image gaming in anything with the sensitivity cranked up let alone trying to position the curser on a cockpit landing light switch. Going back to a “regular” run of the mill Logitech once again made all the difference - and further enforced how ancient I truly am.

@UncleanerLeaf4, you’re onto something even closer than you might think. In fact I wrote a whitepaper about the whole subject, which can be found here.

Enjoy!
KKT

3 Likes

@UncleanerLeaf4, you’re onto something even closer than you might think. In fact I wrote a whitepaper about the whole subject, which can be found here.

Enjoy!
KKT
[/quote]
###################################

Very interesting article and I have come across the theory before although admittedly not in as much detail as you presented. Yes, I actually did read it all believe it or not! Where are my three gold stars?

Don’t want to get too off topic here but after reading your addendum philosophy 101 ‘thing’ I wondered if you might find the book ‘Three Magic Words’ (published 1954) by Uell Stanley Anderson a good read or some books by Wayne Dyer?

Now back to flight sim, VR and the thread before I get flagged.

I am a VR newbie of a few weeks and finding VR very immersive. Getting good fps (about 45) but textures obviously not as crisp as 2d. Despite my previous comments that the devs should have concentrated on other issues first I have not simmed in 2d now for well over a week, so maybe that says something.

VR has a long way to go but the possibilities are almost endless and it is certainly imo the future of gaming. I’ve got 3 great PC monitors here. Any offers anybody? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Right on. Can only give one ‘like’ but these remarks deserve more. Big Brother is watching … and is called Facebook.

2 Likes