How seriously do you take your flight simming?

If A then B and C

4 Likes

Anyone who waits for AI traffic in this sim is doing themselves a disservice. I used to at one time. And found myself going around over and over so many times that the landing took longer than the trip. Now I disregard AI traffic on the runway and land anyway.

A: I rarely drink these days. In fact I haven’t been drunk since 2003, when I joined the Navy Police. Now that I’m a Civvie once again I can’t see myself ever getting drunk, or drinking much anymore. However, I wouldn’t avoid playing the game if I had had a few drinks.

B: I frequently ignore ATC’s demands to go around.

C: Same as B really. I’d just fly over the plane and land in front of it, or indeed behind it.

Completely agree with (B)
If I’m coming in too fast and I’ve got time to spare, I’ll more than likely go around. Or do a little fly over and cut back into the pattern.

If I’m short on time and I’m high and fast I will go sure attempt the realistic approach first by slipping and reducing power. If this fails? Going full dirty with flaps and letting it ride haha

Realistically, the only reason I’d end up in this situation is if I’m very unfamiliar with the area and the GPS is acting up with the exact airport location. (Have had it happen more than a few times)

All of the above!

Its what ever you want to make of it. A sim to some a game to others!

I respect both types of simmers/gamers

1 Like

TBH, there’s an alternative questions 2 and 3: "I have AI / live traffic turned off because I don’t want to constantly dealing with their nonsense, and the ATC’s nonsense"´.

Plenty of G/As tho back when I still had it enabled.

1 Like

A. I prefer poking smot. It’s a terrifying rush trying to remember if you did all your preflight checks. Most of the time it’s just “■■■■ did i set that? Looks like i set it. Yknow what we’ll figure it out.” And yeah i have forgotten critical details like my current position and destination while in a modern airplane with GPS and IFR rated instruments. Theres a dab during Preflight, a dab before take off while taxing, a dab a cruise, another dab on descent and an arrival dab when i’m at the gate. By the time i’m done with the flight, My body is on the ground but my mind is still at 35,000 feet. A new sort of “Mile High Club” if you will

B. With Jet A and ticket prices being what they are, the bird is getting on that runway regardless of what i’m told…

C. Don’t use much AI Traffic since I started using Vatsim. But previously i was clearly the most important person at the airport and if they didn’t move over for me, it’s not my problem. I just activate the PhaseShift switch and no more problem. Bit a weird sensation though…

Edit We need a thread thats the opposite of this like “what do you do to take your flight simming as serious as possible” and see who the first person to admit they wear a pilots uniform and wear aviators in their living room when they play FS with $400 worth of addons on their $10,000 simrig and how they cope when the game crashes…

12 Likes

Assuming we’re talking about me in my office as I am currently…

A. Sure. I prefer Guinness and Don Julio. Dos XX in the summer. It’s quite hot in TX.

B. Nope. Nothing annoys me more than bad takeoffs and landings.

C. I typically go around.

If this question were measured in how much I’ve spent to ‘fly,’ the number is almost embarrassing at this point. I could have bought a second car by now.

Would love to fly with you :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Love it! Great reply!!!

Up there with one of the funniest i’ve come across on here :+1:

1 Like

Great post, LOL
My answer is Yes to all of them.
I have only done go arounds a couple of times recently, as I had some time to spare and the scenery was soooo beautiful… one was in Bergen (Norway) the other I do not remember.
I fly only the Fenix and in VR, and a go around is a bit stressing but gives good chances to enjoy the view…

Very, very seriously…

My wife said the only thing she’d ever watch me do in a flight simulator was fly the Millennium Falcon, so of course…

Sometimes I take flight simming seriously, but I’m certainly not adverse to a few beers and rocketing around in an F18.

2 Likes

Love it! I’m with you on choice A…

2 Likes

I’m a filthy casual. I use an XBox controller with all the autopilot hotkeys overwritten because I never touch the autopilot. I exceed 250 knots under 10,000 feet. I land on the numbers or 1000 feet beyond the thousand-foot markers. I never contact Ground for parking instructions even though I always acknowledge Tower when directed to.

1 Like

Huwaraaaaghhhh, as your 7ft hairy co-pilot might say

The visuals and immersion of presence you get from the combo of flower candy and VR is just on another level in MSFS. It’s almost dream like inside another dimension. Everything popping out at you in stereoscopic 3d as if you can actually reach out and grab the yoke and feel the sheep skin seats. Your focus is just that much more as you feel totally in touch with the machine your sitting inside and you notice all sorts of minor details of airport areas and buildings. Very dreamy beautiful sights looking down at terrain from 21,000+ feet up. You get a whole new appreciation and euphoria of the flight sim hobby and this awesome new cutting edge tech that created a whole virtual world you can travel.

3 Likes

Dude i know it. When the VR beta came out, i almost ate it trying to grab onto the jumpseat in the 747

1 Like

I’d like to be a serious simmer and not drink and fly, but it’d just be plain rude to turn down the beer that my lovely wife brings, dressed as a Virgin Atlantic stewardess.

I mean, credit where credit’s due, it’s really tough to get a bottle of beer into a red uniform and stilettos. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Lots of good visuals and smiles in this thread. Good times!

3 Likes

Something tells me a poke smot fly-in could be a very rewarding experience with lots of participants.
:upside_down_face: :tada: :ringer_planet:

2 Likes