How should a Market Place refund or free trial policy look like?

All your reasons are spot on.
It is all so sensible and makes so much commercial sense, I am beginning to wonder if there is some other dark reason why MS won’t go there.
Could it be they don’t want to open the ’ try before you buy’ door as a general commercial policy Company wide?
It could be that this is a decision beyond the MSFS management pay grade.
I do wish the question would be asked at a Q&A.

1 Like

The problem for the seller, with ’ try before you buy’ is that in many cases, after TRYING the product, and finding it does not live up to its marketing Hype (in some case, outright LIES), the consumer will probably not continue on to buy.

On the other hand, if “try before you buy” is NOT offered, and the consumer has to make a completed purchase, to see what the product really is, then as the seller has collected the money, it’s up to the consumer to struggle to get a refund (or just give up if that process is made too difficult).

Of course, it helps if you have an Itemized receipt, showing WHAT item you purchased, for how much, and when ~!!!

2 Likes

You wrote: “The problem for the seller, with ’ try before you buy’ is that in many cases, after TRYING the product, and finding it does not live up to its marketing Hype (in some case, outright LIES), the consumer will probably not continue on to buy.”

I understand that you wanted to note why bad sellers may not welcome the trial procedure but you have thereby also highlighted one of the main reasons ‘try before you buy’ is so necessary.

How about then –

“do some research, before you buy” and make an INFORMED decision before you just “Click” on BUY .

No just for MS-Marketplace, but a good habit to get into for EVERYTHING in Life

– “RESPONSIBILITY and maturity”

Hey, Guess what, MSFS is also an “Education about life” tool , and lessons learnt in MSFS can help you navigate in the “Real World”.

YES this is it exactly. Thank you. But of course as I am not buying a toaster but software that needs to run well on my own setup, I will want to do that ‘research’ on my setup. Hence the Try Before You Buy necessity so I can make that informed decision. I fully agree. Try before you buy. Buyer be aware. And all that.

1 Like

Your missing the points I’ve made on multiple occasions. Your saying research but what if there isn’t much info or the reviews that are available haven’t focused on the area important to you?

Based on your response the decision should be don’t buy the addon, so hasn’t the seller then missed out on a sales opportunity anyway? That’s a possible lose-lose for both consumer and seller.

All solved by allowing people a brief time to review themselves.

The DCS team got a nice big of cash from me this week as not only did I buy an aircraft and terrain mod which I’d been trialing, when they extended the sale again I had time to review another and ended up buying a second aircraft. That’s a win-win for both sides all for the simple ability to try-before-we-buy.

I suppose I could just stop buying anything more for MSFS and stick to DCS because the ethos seems fairer but again both sides lose out then.

Excellent points.

Software can be of very varied and questionable quality with too many fanboys (possibly even back handers to some of the reviewers) that will give overly positive views.

Take Boresights review of the Wildcat. It was good to see the preview but there was an air of fanboy to the review in my opinion. I may need to watch it again but I don’t think he indicated any flaws at all. For the record I do have a high regard for GotFriends as a developer but nothing is that perfect.

If I buy a toaster and it doesn’t toast my toast or the bagel mode doesn’t work as specified, consumer rights allow me to return it for refund.

Somehow software licensing finds loopholes around this stuff even in 2023. Most likely because the policy makers in government don’t understand it.

I think some of the addons I’ve purchased were more expensive than my toaster as well so it’s not even a question of price.

1 Like