How to get GA traffic when using AIG, ST, etc. - UPDATED

The original GA traffic mod that this fix used is no longer available. Because of that, I made a mod to add GA traffic and uploaded it to flightsim.to. It uses the stock aircraft from MSFS and the stock traffic file with the Commercial Traffic removed.

https://flightsim.to/file/38966/ga-stock-aircraft-traffic

Follow the instructions in the mod to add GA traffic to use alongside AIG, Simple Traffic, etc.

Note: it’s only for offline traffic (AIG injected, etc.) and will not work with Live Traffic.

8 Likes

Someone on another forum asked me why planes fly at low altitudes with offline traffic.

This is caused by MSFS internal AI system. It’s the reason you see rotating aircraft on the taxiways, the reason AI aircraft take forever to depart the runway after landing and the reason for all the other AI issues. Some of the issues (rotating aircraft) have been around since day one and some have been created by MSFS updates.

AIG has made a post on it at http://www.alpha-india.net/2022/05/25/state-of-ai-traffic-in-msfs-update-may-2022/ that was last updated in May, and all the issues still exist.

If you want these issues fixed, you need to let the developers know as SU10 beta appears that it hasn’t fixed any of them.

2 Likes

I just appreciate you doing this. But AI traffic really hogs my computer. I can have AIG at 100, boats, cars, etc at 100. Navigraph charts, pilot2atc running and other programs but when I put AI traffic above 15 it bogs everything down.
Still, thanks for this!

1 Like

Just a reminder that after the SU10 update you have to make the edit to the layout.json again.

If you did the alternative installation then you need to replace the traffic file with the one from the mod again.

2 Likes

I just cant seem to get it to work…

Follow the instructions in the included read me closely. In MSFS select AI offline traffic and adjust the amount of GA with the slider.

I can get parked GA traffic and can adjust with the slider but, should i get in flight GA traffic?

Thanks

You should get GA traffic both on ground and in air.

Any chance you’re on the SU11 beta?

One thing I don’t understand…why will this mod not work with live traffic?

It does work very well with AI OFFLINE, but shouldn’t AI LIVE pull GA from your mod?

@ShakerKitty10
No, this is a offline traffic solution. Offline and MSFS Live Traffic do not work together. You can either have one or the other, but not both.

Right…I get that. I guess my question is why? My thoughts are AI OFFLINE would normally use the trafficAircraft.bgl file, which this essentially replaces…

Anyway, I do understand it does not work…maybe I rename your file to trafficAircraft.bgl then paste it back into the “…\Official\OneStore\fs-base-ai-traffic\scenery\world\traffic” folder. Then, perhaps both the AIG/ST/FSLTL and your renamed file will all work together in AI LIVE…I don’t know. I may give this a try…

Tested this morning and i can get parked GA traffic based on slider, but no air GA Traffic. I might be getting something wrong, Not sure. On Last up date, No Beta

Thanks

The GA mod uses offline flightplans, the same as AIG when using it’s injected traffic with their traffic controller and with using FSLTL with it’s injector that pulls them and makes them on the fly. The difference being that AIG-TC and FSLTL injector “inject” their flightplans into the sim and the GA mod doesn’t (it uses a traffic.bgl file).

If you use MSFS live traffic then MSFS will pull from liveries you have in the community folder (say AIG liveries, FSLTL liveries) that match the airline codes and use those liveries. It’s not using the flightplans (in MSFS live traffic mode), just pulling liveries that match airplane codes. MSFS live traffic does not use traditional flightplans (MSFS injects the live traffic itself) whereas offline traffic does use traditional flightplans.

Injected flightplans (such as AIG-TC or FSLTL injector) may or may not work along with MSFS Live AI (I’m not sure on that) even though they were not designed to be used that way. The GA Mod doesn’t use an injector though, it uses an actual flightplan file (the same as MSFS stock offline traffic does) and as such, will only work when MSFS is in offline traffic mode.

This basically means that using your mod, with the edited .json, should not negatively impact real-time online traffic. As that’s being injected and not using any .bgl. That’s how I interpret it.

In SU11 beta I’m mostly using real-time online traffic which has improved considerably. Which means of course I can’t use your mod at the same time. Unfortunately FSLTL injected traffic is currently borked in the beta (especially arrivals). Have not tried AIG with it’s traffic controller.

Hopefully FSLTL is able to solve this, as (prior to the beta) using the injector with your offline GA traffic was by far the best solution.

Got it working. All good. Was my error during setup. Thank you

For those using this mod, make sure you’ve disabled the default trafficAircraft.bgl file by either editing the layout.json or overwriting the trafficAircraft.bgl file with the alternative method.

These changes were overwritten with the SU11 update so they have to be done again or else you’ll get both the GA mod and default traffic both at the same time.

Thank you for this! Have it working well with AIG. I’m wondering what the specific limitation is to the number of ai flightplan legs that can be included with a mod that you mention in the instructions? Also, when I decompile the mod bgl file with AIFP, the aircraft list seems to include duplicate references the UI instances of the Cessna 172 (e.g. [FLTSIM.0], not the AI Traffic version ([FLTSIM.1 to FLTSIM.4]) instances from the aircraft.cfg. Is that just by choice or does it have to do at all with how the MSFS 2020 ai system ultimately works? I noticed that the original bgl did the same thing.

I have discovered that Offline AI Traffic causes CTDs on my system. If I set Offline AI Traffic to OFF, I can fly without CTDs. Even using AIGTC to inject traffic works fine.

I tried your GA traffic mod, but unfortunately I still get CTDs. I don’t know what exactly is causing the CTD, except that turning ON Offline AI Traffic will cause it. I do believe that a lower percentage of traffic means less of a chance of the CTD, which makes me think that there some bad flighplans or something.

Anyway, interested to know if anyone else is getting CTDs with the Offline AI Traffic ON, and especially with a high percentage.