How to get rid of the spinning data loading indicator lower right in the display

This was getting worse and worse for me, sometimes as often as every 5 -10 seconds, and each one had a very subtle but definite microstutter associated with it. An Avsim member pointed out the solution for him, and voila it fixed this for me as well, and it’s simple and quick to do. I don’t know how often one needs to do this, and it may also explain why some have it and some don’t. Do this if you’re troubled by this:

1. Open Dev Mode
  2. Navigate to Windows > Console
  3. Click the Errors, Warnings, Messages buttons on top to clear them from the console. I had 28 errors, 400 or so Warnings, and 1451 Messages there.
  4. Exit Dev Mode

That was the end of this issue for me during the flight I’m now in, and with which the spinning indicator occured 3x before I got halfway from gate to runway at KSAV in the Citation L. All remained well as I landed at KIAD, at least in terms of the spinning indicator–I never saw it again.

Then I loaded up the Beech King and took off from KIAD after restarting MSFS. Again, the whirling dervish started appearing. Went back into Dev Mode, deleted the various caches as above, and again all is well. I didn’t save the changes so perhaps that is what happened I will try saving after clearing the caches in the console and see if this is something that needs to be done w/ each flight or not.

8 Likes

So does that annoying “spinning thing” show an error occurred and was logged? I ask because there was a thread a while back debating the purpose of the indicator.

Thanks for this tip. I use SDK a lot, going in and out projects and build, always forget to clear that console.

1 Like

This is the thread you’re looking for:

Doesn’t it indicate download activity from the servers? To me the fact that it is there suggests a slow download, something I believe to have been the cause of many of the stuttering problems, although it hasn’t been proved of course.

It denotes more than that.

It indicates when you enable, and disable the autopilot. It pops up when you land at an airport for the very first time, and have slowed to <15kts. It pops up when you starts, and end an IFR flight.

Basically, any time a bit of data is recorded in your logbook it will pop up. I would imagine it would also pop up when you start, and end flying at night.

1 Like

Okay, I see whay you say - but I never see it in my trips or at least notice it. Will keep a watch for it.

Or perhaps my settings are different?

Thanks for this tip! I’d also got to the point where it was spinning up excessively and causing all sorts of micro stutters. Did this and it’s running so much smoother and haven’t seen the spinning circle since.

1 Like

Great, also, you can hit the ‘Clear’ button to the right of the errors/warning/messages buttons and all are deleted simultaneously.

1 Like

Honestly i’m losing my patients here with these servers. Constantly spinning and stuttering even when playing offline. PLEASE Fix these servers already. How many times do we have to say it? Now I find myself constantly rebooting and changing servers just to fix this issue which comes and goes ENDLESSLY. Every time you see the data loading indicator there is a micro stutter no less.

This seems like a wee bit of trolling, but in case not, did you read the way to eliminate this at the top of the thread? You can do this brief ritual w/ each flight and shouldn’t see spinner after that.

We shouldn’t need to go to any menu to disable it for every flight. We should have an option to simply disable it once and be done with it. It’s a useless, annoying item.

1 Like

Of course, but there are a raft of things that need attention, and the solution provided beats the heck out of ‘constantly rebooting and changing servers’. Neither you nor I understand why it happens so the idea that it’s ‘an option’ very likely is not the case. IOW, it’s a bug of sorts. Plus the solution provided works flawlessly every time and take all of a few seconds to implement.

I clear my console of all errors after every flight and before every flight. Although not for the reasons you are suggesting. I actually debug planes. Anyways this solution might work for you but it does not work for me.

This was not always an issue for me though and again it happens even in offline mode. The only real way to get rid of the issue is to reload the game and hope you get a good connection to the server. Rebooting the PC and changing servers is just part of the debug process.

Absolutely works every time no matter where or in what for me. Rarely does changing servers matter here though I do try it when weird FPS drops suddenly start and sometimes it helps, and never need to reboot in fact I can fly all day long w/o a reboot. Like you, this was not a problem initially. I sense is the logging process itself that causes the issue, the issue being sometime constant indicator spinning frequently accompanied by very brief microstutters per event.

I’m wondering if setting the log file to read only would stop it completely? I have no idea where it is though… anyone know?

Does anyone think removing the graphical representation of what is going on behind the scenes is going to fix anything?

Whatever effect you are seeing, it’s almost certainly the background processes like scenery streaming, not a tiny little spinning indicator itself.

1 Like

I agree, the spinning indicator is the end of the process. This being said, the above described ritual not only eliminate the spinning indicator, but the microstutters as well.

1 Like

I can’t tell exactly when you do this, but be sure if you’re not doing this to first load the flight, though you can wait to hit FLY, then clear the console of all three items then simply turn Dev Mode off.

What makes you believe clearing the log actually ‘debugs’ the plane? Strikes me all clearing the log does just that. Or, what do you mean when you say, ‘debug’? One would typically use that word in the context of getting rid of problem code relatively permanently, for the ‘bugs’ involved.