How to press the HDG and BARO knobs middle buttons in the Aerosoft CRJ in VR

I just started flying the Aerosoft CRJ and I learned to press the HDG knob button to center the heading, you need to press the right mouse button to highlight the button in the middle of the knob and you can then press the middle button of the knob using the left mouse button. Same thing with the BARO knob to set standard pressure.

Using this method in VR though doesn’t work. Pressing the right mouse button will make the mouse cursor jump into another position rather than highlighting the middle button of the knob.

Guess there’s an assignment for the right mouse button in VR I need to get rid of?

1 Like

I have run into the same issue and never found a reliable work around. Sometimes just by “jiggling” the mouse I can get it to highlight the middle push button, but this appears to be more luck than method.

I, too, would appreciate any work around that is reliable.

For clarity, I am using the new “lock” interaction system.

Thanks, good to hear it’s not just me.

I sometimes get lucky with the baro knob by jiggling the mouse around, but I have had zero luck with hitting the center HDG button…

See this post describing the issue and provided a third party tool to fix it. Unfortunately, the tool has not been updated to support the new version. I will reach out to the Author to see if the tool can be updated.

1 Like

I did not hear back from the author but downloaded the code and recompiled it. It was basically failing on the version check. After fixing that it worked and generated the necessary directory in the Community folder and Voila! Buttons fixed. I also had to add some code to address the 900 and 1000 models for those who have those installed.

I forked the Steven’s repo to add the necessary changes and created a 1.0.2 release. You can try it out at the link below.

The release can be downloaded directly here

Unzip and run the executable. It will create a aerosoft-crj-interaction-fix directory in your community folder. It does not touch your original CRJ files. You can simply delete the directory to revert the changes. I did encounter black screens on the CRJ on first launch, but restarting the flight fixed the issue. Let me know how it works out.

4 Likes

This is great, thanks for sharing and I’ll give it a try for sure!

At the same time, to me it makes sense Aerosoft should address this for a payware product like the CRJ.

1 Like

Learned by now how this utility doesn’t work. At least it didn’t for me, nothing happened when running the .exe file.

However, I found out elsewhere there is a workaround where you can hover over the button with the mouse in VR until the cursor vanishes. Then move the mouse just a bit to “wake up the cursor” and you can then click the button within the next couple of seconds. For this to work, you need to have the legacy option selected under Accessibility under the General options in MSFS.

The original 1.0.0 release didn’t work for some people because they were missing some prerequisites. The original author updated the program to fix that issue and released a 1.0.1 version. I’m going to assume that the 1.0.2 release in the link above was based on the 1.0.1 version. If you haven’t tried it in a while, I would encourage you to give it a try again. It really is a lifesaver when flying the CRJ.

In the CJ4 from WT in VR you hold the left mouse button and click the right one (lock mode). Tried it this afternoon for baro and heading.
Should also work in the CRJ.

@TenurialCell52 I will be interested if you can get this technique to work in the CRJ. I use the “lock” system and use this method all the time for the CJ4. It never seems to work for me in the CRJ. I am wondering if there is some change needed in the code at Aerosoft’s end?

I can get the HDG knob to “lock” with the correct mouse press but then the secondary mouse action is not syncing the heading as it does in the CJ4

Ah, sorry, you are right.
It didn´t work. I had thought the system would be the same with all aircraft. Then it´s probably indeed a code problem.
In the Aerosoft Forum I read that they had planned to introduce a fix for the problem with the last CRJ update (coming with the CRJ 1000), however that somehow did not work.

Just saw you had legacy mode turned on.

1-Did the Utility create an Aerosoft-interaction-fix directory in your Community folder?

2- Is your sim steam or Microsoft store version?

I tested the utility on two computers. Did several flights and I am able to use HDG, BARO center buttons.

Nope, nothing was created in the Community folder and fact is, I couldn’t see anything happen at all when running the .exe file.

I’m using the MS Store version of MSFS.

Not an issue anymore though now when I’ve learned how I can use the work-around mentioned above as long as I’m in legacy mode for cockpit interaction in MSFS.

Unfortunately it doesn`t work in the latest version of CRJ 1.0.16

The fix is not working anymore - the folder is created in the Community folder, but the buttons in the cockpit still cannot be pressed. The workaround with “waiting till the cursor disappears” is also not working for me. Too sad this issue is ignored by Aerosoft for so many months already.

2 Likes

Same. I ended up having to use FSUIPC events to bind those buttons to my joystick.

You have to make sure that cockpit is set to Legacy otherwise it wont work.

It’s not working anymore in Legacy mode.

I’ve got a reply from Aerosoft that it’s Asobo’s issue and Aerosoft is not going to fix it. Too bad.

IMO, that’s a very bad response. In my book, certainly a company developing a 3rd party product (the CRJ) for a platform (MSFS), most certainly should be held responsible for making sure their product work.

I do understand it can be tricky if/when things are changed within the platform and out of control for Aerosoft. That however doesn’t mean they don’t have a responsibility towards their paying customers. Instead they of course need to reach out to Asobo for help fixing the issue if they can’t do it themselves. As well as letting Asobo know the impact when they change things, rendering some 3rd party products defective in some aspects.

In this particular case with the CRJ, it’s even worse I think giving this kind of response. Since the CRJ was very proudly announced as the first, truly detailed and close to study-level aircraft for MSFS and being worked on as a joint adventure between Aerosoft and Asobo.

Should be in both their interests to make sure it works as intended. With that said, I think it’s perfectly understandable how Asobo has lots of other things to focus on. Where the main/first responsibility fixing issues like this one IMO lies on Aerosoft.