[How To] Simultaneous Button Assignments. A powerful feature!

Asobo have implemented multiple simultaneous button ability.

This is immensely powerful and effectively doubles or even triples (and more) the number of functions you can assign to the limited number of buttons on your controller.

That means for example, that on say a Saitek Yoke, you can use the left Red button as a “mode” or “shift” button, so that most other buttons can now have 2 (or more) functions assigned to it.

One with the button on its own, the other with the “mode/shift” button pressed (2 buttons at once).

On the Honeycomb Yoke, I use the left index finger white button as the “shift” button.

This effectively doubles the number of buttons available on the controller. You can even extend this to several more modes by assigning other mode/shift button combinations.

For example: Suppose I use the left button as a mode/shift switch (with no function assigned to it) and assign the brake function to the Left PLUS Right Red button combined (press them both simultaneously when assigning them) .

When I hit the right Red button on its own, it toggles the AP as normal, BUT if I hold the left button down and THEN the right button together, I apply the brakes.

Un -“shifted” = Toggle AP
Shifted = Apply Brakes.

============================
Another example is…

Button 2 = Pause On
Button 1 PLUS Button 2 = Pause Off

Button 1 is unassigned and is used as a
“shift” button.

=============================
Or …

Hat Left = Quicklook Left
Button 1 PLUS Hat Left = PAN left

Note: This may not work in every case, and some assignments apply in both cockpit and external views, but it is a handy option to consider when you start running out of controller buttons.

Experimentation is the key to success.

Note: When assigning, sometimes the order in which you press the buttons makes a difference whether it works or not.

eg: when assigning panning to the hat, press and hold the "Hat " before pressing the “shift” button. This helps overcome some conflicts .

In some cases I have “Triple” button assignments.

Remember: Just press more than one button at once when assigning.

Ignore any message that pops up. It’s alerting you, but not demanding that you cancel what you are doing.

==============

Consider the throttle quadrant that comes with the Saitek Yoke.

It has six switches.

I’m hoping that I could assign the following combinations.

1+2
1+3
1+4 (can’t press both at once)
1+5
1+6

2+2
2+3
2+4
2+5 (can’t press both at once)
2+6

3+4
3+5
3+6 (can’t press both at once)

4+5
4+6

Then I can double all of that again by using a “shift” button on the yoke for a second set …

For example, if button ‘a’ on my yoke is my designated “shift button”

a+1
a+2 etc

a+1+2
a+1+3 etc

That’s 42 assignments from just 6 buttons!!

Just press them simultaneously (or one after the other) when assigning.

This is excellent!

12 Likes

Are you going to let us into how we do it ourselves or just gloat that you figured it out?

1 Like

They did say “press both (or three) buttons at once”. Yup, that’s all you need to do.

1 Like

Funny because I have to manually pick the button for my controller, it doesn’t recognize the button push when assigning.

1 Like

You have to mouse click in the box, then press the button(s).

Yes, many haven’t noticed that its easy just to “click in the box, and click the button you want”. The design is not that clear. The “SEARCH BY INPUT” text looks like a heading and not a clickable field.

I’m trying to be helpful. I’m not gloating. If I have been unclear, I apologize.

1 Like

Yes, but it doesn’t work in game. Assigning a button and hat switch povs doesn’t work in game, although its assignable in the settings.

Does for me.

The button + hat switch works perfectly.

1 Like

DOES. NOT. WORK. IN. GAME.

Try pressing the Pov button FIRST when assigning.

(I mention this in the instructions above)

Alright, doesn’t work for you. Why yell at me? :slight_smile: Anyway, I hope you get your problems sorted out soon. Good luck.

The only thing it does is assigns the pan to the button. I press the button it pans around the cockpit counter clockwise. The combo does not work

It looks like you’ve created quadruple button assignments.

This whole exercise is based on what might be an unexpected feature that may not work under all situations. Mine certainly works as described in my OP.

Keep experimenting. Sometimes one button takes seniority over the other.

In my case, notice that the POV is first in the assignment.

At the very least, it allows me to snap and pan on the same pov switch.

The control assignments are very confusing I press the button I wan to assign as above nothing,I have to scroll to the key I cannot just hit the button I want nor does it highlight the button when you press it.
it’s hard to see what button they are refering to as the model cannot spin to look at the buttons behind the stick. there needs to be a better explanation.

You need to click the text “SEARCH BY INPUT” then press the button(s) you want.

You are right. The UI is confusing.

1 Like

yes I understand however pushing any button does nothing I still must manualy scroll using the select input…

I assume that you have the correct controller highlighted?

(Just trying to be helpful)

A screenshot might help.

yes its the correct controler saitek x52 the press a key to assign just is not working I don’t know why does not matter If I am setting up keys on the keyboard or the stick…it says hit a button or combo but when I do it does nothing If i select the square it says tring to assign to a device that is not selected…but it is works fine if i manually assign so I don’t get it

saame issue i am having with a saitek x52