How well will the HTC Vive XR Elite work with MSFS?

Ya, hopefully this will all be fixed soon and the Virtual Desktop app option will be available soon as well.

I’m not saying that the XR elite doesn’t work well with the Vive Streamer App, just not quite as stable as my Quest Pro with Link or Air Link imho.

Hello, I can’t find many review about the Vive XR elite and MSFS 2020 and the few one I found are not so great. On the meantime the Oculus Quest pro price dropped in Europe making it cheaper than the XR elite so I am wondering to maybe purchase it in the future. With it you don’t have any problem correct?
What is your go to VR headset for MSFS?

Thanks

Ya, my go to headset is now my Quest Pro, esp. with the latest v51 PTC update with Local Dimming. This leaves poorer quality screens like the XR Elite and Pico 4, which are not Local Dimming capable, in the dust imho.

Maybe newer micro-oled headsets may prove better, who knows?

1 Like

Thanks for the update I wanted the XR elite because it was cheaper than the quest pro but now that Meta dropped the price It’s cheaper that the XR.

1 Like

Ya, I think that the Quest Pro is currently a bit better. However, the XR Elite is def more comfortable out of the box. If Vive can improve its streamer app, offer different facial interface options, and drop it’s price down to $899, it may be much more competitive imho.

I really would like to see Vive have a win on their XR Elite.

In my country I can find a Oculus Quest Pro for 1085 euros it’s a return pack marketed as in perfect condition like new, otherwise it would be 1200 or something the XR elite comes around 1400 seen the review I think I will go for the Quest Pro.

I forgotten to ask you? What about clarity can you read clearly the instruments? I come from the quest 1 and it was ok but I had to get pretty close in the virtual cockpit.

Jivan

The clarity is very good if you have a strong PC, like my i9 13900k/rtx4090. If you have anything weaker than a rtx3080, your visuals and pcvr performance will suffer imho.

1 Like

I concur 100 percent. I also have a Quest Pro and a Reverb G2 with a 13900K, 4090 PC. I only use the Pro wired with a USB-C cable as I get much better visuals that way over wireless, and also don’t have to worry about battery life.

The Pro is exceptionally good visually. I don’t know how it manages to be so good with just an 1800 x 1920 per eye resolution, but compared to my G2 and Vive Pro 2 it makes them both look like trash. The big win is the true edge to edge clarity with the lenses, the entire visual field is crisp, clear and glare and godray free.

It makes every fresnel headset look like a monitor with a piece of vaseline smeared, perspex screen in between you and the monitor. The pancake lenses of the Pro are like removing the perspex screen and now you can clearly see the monitor. It’s incredible how much it improves the overall experience.

It definitely requires a bit more PC power though. My old 10850K, 3090 PC ran MSFS much better on the Reverb G2 than the Quest Pro necessitating an upgrade. On my new PC though its sublime. I run it at 2896 x 2618 per eye resolution so 5792 x 2618 overall, with Terrain LOD 200, Object 200 and absoutely everything on ultra settings and it stays over 50 fps almost everywhere, sometimes hitting 60 fps in more rural areas. If I drop the settings down I can easily get over 70 fps but I’m a GA guy so I don’t need high frame rates, if it locks at 45 I’m happy.

It’s a super underated headset now with the price drop. Local dimming now works on everything PCVR and foveated rendering eye tracking is now up and running although I haven’t tried it yet as its already running smooth enough I haven’t got around to trying.

3 Likes

I have the same rig fortunately. I waited a bot too much and the quest pro was sold now the standard price is 1199 anyway.

Thenks for your info, foveated rendering eye tracking seems to give a big boost i fly liners like the Fenix so i might try it but it does not work out of the box.

Just to update I decided to go with the quest pro and I am waiting to get it delivered.

I come from the Quest One, I didn’t use it much on MSFS however yesterday I installed it back to just start up the sim VR settings and to be honest the cockpit was clear I could read instruments on the Fenix easily I didn’t remember it was this clear so if the quest pro is better I will be very happy.

1 Like

Good luck hope it goes well. Check back in if you want any setup advice.

Thanks, do you use the oculus link cable? or another one?

I have both the official Meta cable and a much cheaper one from Kiwi. The Meta cable holds battery charge a bit better, after a couples or flying I’m still at around 85 percent. The Kiwi drops to around 70 percent in the same time but the Kiwi cable allows me to run at a higher encode bitrate and 90 Hz so I prefer to use that one.

The Meta cable I have to either drop to 72 Hz or drop the encode bitrate below 400 or Iget audio stutter.

Hi @SunlitAlpaca141
I just got my Vive XR Elite and I’m following the steps that you provided. On which platform did you get the MSFS? Microsoft Store or Steam? I bought mine on MS Store but I’m a bit worried that I will not be able to play it. All VR games work perfectly on Steam, but I can’t or I don’t know how to access MSFS from the MS Store.
I’m new to VR and don’t have much knowledge yet. I would be grateful for any help
Cheers

Sorry mate but I have the Steam Version and didn’t have any problems using it. Just start it up in 2D monitor mode to begin with. Easy to set your VR settings and flight sticks this way. Then switch over to VR (ctrl+tab for me). As far as accessing msfs microsoft version I think there should be a desktop shortcut installed when you install it. Good luck mate and cheers.

Also, as an aside, I ended up returning my preordered XR Elite for a refund because I never could get wired or wireless PCVR to work as well as my Quest Pro using Link or Air Link (main way I play). Still, I did manage to get it to work ok with msfs and xp11/12.

Thanks! I managed to make it work. For all folks asking: Can I run VR with HTC XR Elite glasses on MSFS bought from Microsoft Store, the answer is yes!
You need to:

1. Launch Vive streaming Hub app and pair it with VR glasses
  2. Launch SteamVR, go to Settings > Developer > Current OpenXR runtime > SteamVR needs to be active
  3. Turn on your VR headset
  4. In desktop, open MSFS, Options > General > VR Mode > Switch to VR
  5. Put on your XR Elite, go to Library > installed apps from PC > SteamVR and you should be in-game now
1 Like