How will msfs compete with xp12?

XP’s replay mode is really good too for looking back at landings and what you could do better.

Speaking of the replay mode in XP 11 I don’t think I’ve ever used it (and I’ve surpassed 2,000 hours in it). I don’t even know how to use it in MSFS (nor do I really have interest personally).

1 Like

As a person who is actually in training for LAPL(A), I have to disagree. PPL is VFR in the first place. IFR comes on top. There is no other sim in which I can actually fly my cross country flights beforehand, pilotage or dead reckoning, and become acquainted with the view of the ORP’s, and the circuit patterns to name a few.
For VFR there’s just no valid alternative at the moment. VFR is 90% about outside the cockpit and 10% inside!

9 Likes

Maybe but not that many XP 11 only sold 42000 copies in 10 years. (More than enough time to work bugs out btw) MSFS sold over 1000000+ in 2 years. XP 12 is boutique software. In contrast to MSFS being a hardcore sim.

1 Like

I think most developers will eventually leave XP. This is probably why Austin released XP 12 prematurely, even though it’s early access (releasing XP 12 with a Boeing FMC in the A330 is not a good look and a sign of a very rushed release), because XP developers were panicking from the drop in sales this year, especially after many XP users switched to MSFS when the study level airliners came out for MSFS this spring.

If you’re a developer for XP, and already many XP 11 users are refusing to upgrade to XP 12, and with more XP 11 users switching to MSFS, it’s time to start looking into MSFS if you want to survive as a business.

5 Likes

For an XP11 User the question is if XP12 is better than XP11 and if it justifies the upgrade price.

For people that have been using no sim until now or another sim, the question is if XP12 is better than another sim in what is important to the user.

Or if it is in general good enough to use it as a second sim for other reasons.

As a Bushpilot and mainly VFR pilot in MSFS, I don’t see any reason to switch the sim or even buy XP12 to establish it as a second sim on the side.

I think I would rather get Aerofly FS4 for this and fly offline VFR in Germany at times.

As I do not really use jet airliners and if I do on rare occasions, I don’t care about the operational rules that apply to them in the real world…I have no idea if XP12 is maye better for people that fly jet airliners with real world procedures. I guess it’s possible, I would not know.

2 Likes

For myself personally who has used XP 11 quite a lot in the past and did pick up XP 12 and has had the chance already to use some of my now XP 12 ready high-end addons I just am not really that impressed with XP 12. I did a few flights and in the middle of one I hit ALT + F4 and fired up MSFS again. I just feel I wasted $60, I could have set aside that $60 for the A2A Piper Comanche coming someday (I’m still going to get it the day it comes out, just trying to make a point here). As someone who has XP 11 / 12, P3Dv4 / v5 and MSFS and has been in the hobby for over two decades if someone who is just starting out asked me for my advice I would strongly recommend getting MSFS, there is just so much going for it.

2 Likes

What i have seen and tested is that XP12 is really not more then XP 11.60.
It is not a huge change like MSFS2020 over MSFS X.
There are some improvements in this new version, but not enough to buy it.
I have XP11 running with lots of extensions, so i will stay with that version next to MSFS2020.

Hi. Why did you buy it in the first place? There were very mixed reviews everywhere and even the xp-loving people were mostly disappointed. What were the reasons to try it out? Just curiosity.

Enough money to waste? :wink:
I personaly used the demo to see the improvements and that let me decided not to buy it for now.
I already have a fully loaded XP11.

After all those updates of XP11 Austin thought it’s time to start making money again, because He sees the bottom of the cash box. So He continue to upgrade XP11, but now call it XP12 and sell it as a brand new XP version.

1 Like

I obviously have MSFS but I’ll be picking up XP12 in a few months, once it’s out of early access and any initial teething problems have been addressed. I want to fly the ToLiss Airbuses and the FlyJsim Dash 8, amongst other things. The Airfoil GA aircraft also look very good indeed.

1 Like

I wish I knew myself, it was a poor decision on my part. What is even worse is I did try the demo out and yet I still bought it. I will use XP 12 as a stop gap till some high-end make and model aircraft that I desire arrive in MSFS but as for purchasing addons I just don’t really see myself doing it for XP 12. I have the Airfoillabs King Air 350 and Cessna 172 (both the 2015 and NG) that I picked up for XP 11. When Black Square’s King Air 350 overhaul releases I see very little incentive to fire up XP 12 and use the AFL King Air 350 when it becomes available. Equally so when (and I say when because I feel it’s bound to happen) A2A releases their Cessna 172 for MSFS.

I’m very, very much into the hobby myself and there is nothing I can’t do in MSFS that I can in XP and P3D. Virtually the only reason those have stayed on my PC for this long after the release of MSFS is because of my addons (I’ve had years upon years to gobble them up). I don’t consider myself a causal by any means which many do say MSFS is aimed for, I have racked up over 6,000 hours on the VATSIM network and have helped a number of people over the years. I just don’t see all the hype in XP12 and again I regret my purchase. In my opinion the future for the causal and hardcore simmer alike is MSFS.

4 Likes

Why not stay on XP11?
It is almost bug free and XP12 got a lot of unfinished business.
Even the XP12 demo gave me a few CTD’s.

Hi, if you are really disappointed in your purchase and you really want the $60 back, I have read about other people that got a refund on their XP 12 purchase: It's not over until the fat lady sings! with X-Plane 12 - Page 2 - The X-Plane General Discussions Forum - The AVSIM Community

2 Likes

I ask myself the same question.

Sent an email, thanks.

1 Like

It’s a bad sign for Austin that people want there money back after the purchase of XP12.
They have high expectations of there new release, but it is nothing more then a little bit disappointing upgrade of XP11. It’s also not surtain if all extensions out of XP11 will work under XP12 and if not so, then customers maybe have to buy new versions of them.

2 Likes

I think Austin and LR were very clever when they marketed XP 12. They showed cherry picked screenshots in their photos. For the trailer, they showed cherry picked locations and angles, that made XP 12 look very good. And people on social media, forums, and Reddit, propagated these cherry picked screenshots or the trailer with cherry picked locations and angles. When that happened, XP 12 looked like a whole new revolutionary flight simulator, and it even looked like it would have better graphics than MSFS. This hyped XP 12 so much and raised the expectations sky high for XP 12. I constantly saw a lot of comments in the XP 12 trailer on Youtube saying, “XP 12 will be the MSFS killer!”

However, when people actually downloaded and played XP 12, or they watched a proper live stream of it where you can’t cherry pick locations and angles, you see XP 12 for what it really is, which is a slight upgrade of XP 11, and XP 12 overall, has pretty poor graphics for 2022. The hype was burst and reality set in (IMO, I don’t think XP 12 will be the “MSFS killer”).

3 Likes

When I mentioned outside I was referring to the flight model. There are still some things XP does that are better than MSFS currently. But perhaps nothing that would affect your training. Spins for instance.

1 Like

Perhaps (and I agree with you to some extent) but with a smaller pool of developers (and less new Xplane products becoming available) there is more chance of a purchase being made albeit by a smaller pool of customers. I think that sometimes decent profits are still there to be made in a niche area with a smaller set of customers. The product would have to be good though (something like A2A standard maybe) and priced accordingly.

Maybe an option for Xplane developers would be to do the ground work on a particular aircraft and then to carry that knowledge over to both Xplane and FS20.

I don’t understand why so many people buy it before they try it.
There is a demo so everybody could see what to aspect.

2 Likes