How will msfs compete with xp12?

This is actually true to life and very immersive. They’re just simulating the way we are bombarded with ads in the real world.

Seriously though even Paradox Interactive who love to advertise their new DLC and such do it on the main menu and not while I’m trying to find a wife for my 16th grandchild who comes from a family with a strong military in Crusader Kings 3.

2 Likes

Plenty of other software does the same things, but to have it come out at the start of every flight is a bit much.

Someone should go in and mod the file for it to read “Microsoft Flight Simulator now available” :joy:

3 Likes

Yes, I it’s okay for LR to advertise on the loading screen, like when XP 12 boots up. Or even advertise on the loading screen when you load a flight. But to advertise this when the player has loaded the flight and is playing XP 11, it’s annoying and it’s also a sign of desperation.

MSFS has really done a number on XP 12 sales. When I see that advertisement in XP 11, I see desperation written all over Austin and LR for XP 12 sales.

2 Likes

The main problem is just that it happens in a flight, in the sim that people are pointing to for highly accurate immersive experiences. Having pop up ads doesn’t seem immersive to me lol. Put those things on the main menu.

2 Likes

It would be ok if you could switch them off. We get the same thing in MSFS, pop up Xbox notices etc but these can be suppressed fortunately. I don’t like anything coming up on screen, not aircraft labels, what I call lollypop point of interest signs, waypoint markers, any of it, it’s all immersive killing gamey nonsense as far as I am concerned. Not on my sim!

2 Likes

That appears to be the prevailing opinion on the official forums.

I’m trying to think if there is an MSFS equivalent to this. On the loading screen I think it shows free updates that are released, but I don’t know if the Reno racing one was advertised. It certainly doesn’t show anything once you load in to a flight.

1 Like

I have a good point about this do yall think everyone is leaving microsoft flight simulator to X-Plane 12?

No, not at all. I don’t think that’s going to happen in any significant numbers at all.

3 Likes

X Plane12 Can Not compete with MSFS because of their graphics, feeling and looking 2 years behind. I didn’t see anything breaking and new in XP12 to make me want to invest. In the past I thought that there was room for both, However who is going to put NEW money into XP12 when it is only a matter of time until MSFS will be at its best ?

3 Likes

I think XP 12 is done for, because MSFS is taking away market share every day. I’m sure Austin knows that forcing those pop-up advertisements to buy XP 12, after XP 11 users spawn in, is very, very, annoying.

But Austin must be that desperate, that he is willing to annoy his XP 11 userbase, to get extra sales for XP 12, because the XP 12 sales were that bad. This is the difficulty of going up against MSFS, with all of Microsoft’s resources.

4 Likes

While xp12 cannot compete with msfs in the graphics department, Msfs still has a long way to go when it comes to engine simulation, helicopter dynamics (which is really good), water physics, ground handling and many other areas related to the simulation. A lot of people seem to only care about the graphics. XP12 offers a different experience than msfs where the simulation aspect currently is superior to msfs. Hopefully msfs will catch up at some point, but most likely not anytime soon. Time will tell. Yes, and xp12 has working wipers and you can also open doors in all default airplanes.

On a snow or ice covered runway, the plane will start slipping if you hold the brakes and apply power. If you land on water with the gear extended its not going to end well. This is something I miss in msfs that really adds to the realism. Realism is not only about outstanding graphics.

7 Likes

Folk,
That is so True
Most people go after what LOOKS good and care about the rest later. MSFS may take another 2 years to be called a real Flight Simulator, but its coming and I will put my money into something that I can see moving in the right direction. XP12 had a good run but its over for them.

1 Like

Exactly – the ground physics in x-plane are superior. I tried an experiment whereby I landed (attempted) the Zibo 737-800 out of an ILS approach on a wet contaminated runway at KMCO (17L, 9000’ available) during a storm while deliberately not arming the spoilers and not using reverse. I barely got the aircraft stopped and almost ran off the other end. Tried another approach using normal procedures and stopped in what was the appropriate distance for the conditions. Not sure I would have seen the same thing with the PMDG 737 under similar conditions. MSFS has a way to go in this aspect.

That being said, the graphics in MSFS are really superior. Although I noticed that under some conditions the clouds in X-Plane 12 actually looked more realistic at certain times than in MSFS, and I experienced towering CB with lightning as opposed to where MSFS generates lightning in either clear skies or above low-level cumulus, which is totally unrealistic. SU10 beta weather is looking better though and hopefully it continues to improve.

I enjoy using both simulators as each some advantages.

3 Likes

My main problem with MSFS is that it keeps breaking. I spent big money on my motion rig setup, custom panels etc. and not to forget all the payware software stuff. Every time an update comes along something goes wrong. Sometimes it’s simple annoying things but sometimes it’s completely game breaking. The most recent issue, having CTD after CTD being the worst so far. And the kicker, I can’t do anything about it, because those updates are mandatory. …Let me decide when to update, let me downgrade if necessary.

MSFS has many cool things, but at its core it has absolute huge problems for someone like me and that’s where X-Plane fits in for me. I recently went back to XP11 for my airliner flying and if SU10 does not fix the constant CTD issues for me, I will most likely get XP12 soon.

2 Likes

No comment !!

4 Likes

First some facts XP11 Sold approx 42000 copies over 10 years. XP12 is not released. LR has some catching up to do as far as anything sold because on the other hand MSFS 1000000+ sold. So based on the sales facts XP goose is cooked.

1 Like

Where did you get the information about the sales figures ?

Could you expand on this? I am curious which simulation aspects are superior.

From what I can tell from videos on Youtube and reviews, MFS is still far ahead of XP12. Xplane went with a new version because before MFS came around, they already had plans in place to improve XP11, which at the time was the best sim available. Now that MFS surprised everyone and jumped 200 years into the gaming future, XP still went ahead with XP12, but it’s still in the past compared to just about everything MFS offers. Even flight dynamics in MFS have improved to the point that there is no benefit to XP12 (or 11) anymore (Yes, I am a real pilot, and that is my educated opinion). And this is coming from someone who got back into simming after years of being away, and it was XP11 that brought me back. I built a home cockpit around it. I’ve now converted that to run MFS without issue.

We just didn’t see MFS and the massive leap coming. I feel bad for XP, I think they made a good product. But they just don’t have the resources / financials to bring it to MFS level. I will not go through ortho conversions to bring XP12 to the visual level of MFS, that is very archaic and time consuming.

8 Likes

After all these years, still no office, still doing interview from home, a company that sell significant sales is in much better state and budjet than what you see. Auston is the only one talk against others, it will eventuallly hunt him.

2 Likes