HP Reverb G2 + 3080 ftw3 + 10900k at 4.9, ghosting, jumpy, flicker as turn head, nothing helps?

Yeah its frustrating… i doubt on the refund, im still waiting to hear on the cable being given as a courtesy. They said they’d email me after talking to a supervisor, my warranty expired nov 13th or so.

But the fact that the alyx game runs so smooth (before it cut out lol) feels more like a software issue with msfs perhaps, im going to tinker with suggestions in this thread and see if anything helps. Or join the beta program to get the patch that is forthcoming ahead of time just to see if anything improves. (need to figure out where that option is to join)

Here’s the info on how to join the public beta. I’ve had good luck with it.

DX12 doesn’t work with VR as yet, it is only for pancake mode.

well, first i tried setting everything to ultra for fun as it was suggested… interestingly it didnt make the stutters worse, i think gpu hit near 97% vs maybe 91 before. And i had oxr at 100 , TAA at 90.

So then i opted into the beta for the new update.

I havent been able to launch a flight and test since. Every time it tries to load the scenario i use (activity/nyc), it either bugs out and gets super laggy and i have to kill the sim, or the sim will crash the minute i click fly now (this is bare bones too). Super frustrating. Often i get 3 circles spinning, then a brief image from the sim and back to brown or black screen and the circles spinning.

I might look into wiping wmr and reinstalling, unsure. I thought the crashes would be fixed in the update, so far no go and the lag issue thing is ridiculous , 100% gpu usage during.

crash notes:

Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
other times fault with xgameruntime.dll

Note: added some specs to my first post

Well reinstalling wmr had no effect at least with the crashes… i still crash right after clicking fly now

Heres the repeatable test, curious if anyone else crashes/lags with this:

Run fs as admin
Main menu i choose the activities , discovery flights and choose NYC, but first enter vr.
Everything is smooth and good.
CLick fly now (after taking the goggles off 50 times till the mouse actually shows up)…

Progress bar about 3/4 across it will usually crash.

So i opted to revert my overclock back down and ram speed down, i also set the paging file size to custom per some recommendations and set to background.

Tried it again, same test, progress bar hit 3/4 then the screen started lagging badly and the bar got stuck, i had to kill the FS process to get control again.

So i restarted the sim again, did the activitiy again without vr mode first… got into the activity by hitting fly now, hit fly now, now the goggles start to come up, brown in each image, then super lag and then suddenly fs crashes… This is after reinstall wmr (but didnt install oxr dev tool again just yet), after setting paging file, background mode, overclock. same error code, so it mustnt be the overclock or paging file related.

UPDATE: interesting note, i can use steamvr + its openxr just fine, however i cant figure out the equivalent % and motion reprojection setting to use to be smooth, no crashes. (i assume motion smoothing to force on) , its still a slideshow but no crashes

Update: so i went to the users folder, renamed all cfg files in there, deleted scenery cache indexes… restarted the sim and left it with default vr settings. Started openxr wmr (not steamvr) this time i got it working, however, still ghosty (nyc activity) with buildings a bit, but at least things are working again. This is on the beta update. So i guess somehow the settings were causing a glitch, maybe the graphics ones somehow tripped things up and were causing the ctd.

Sorry, this is absolutely wrong. I use DX12 with VR day by day. And it works like a charm.

Ok, I could have sworn I heard Sebastian say that this was not yet implemented for VR as yet but I cannot find that in the sim update 7 video unless nits in the Q and A at the end.

Are you saying you’re getting a lift in performance, if so, to what degree and what gear are you using?

Does sound like some improvements will be coming in time with this thought which should be exciting.

But there is not setting that you could change you DirectX setting in VR. Just take a look in VR mode, can you even change directx between 11 and 12? Same is with vsync. There is just not the setting that could be changed in VR.

Wow, I can’t believe the trouble here after you’ve done dozens of things to try and find the problem…sorry again. A dumb question: have you totally deleted the sim and re-installed it? (All 100gb+). And do other flights work even if the NYC discovery won’t? I have run the nyc discovery flight with no problems, but perhaps you have a corrupted file(s). And maybe try a disk repair to make sure the SSDs don’t have any bad sectors.

One other thing I’ve done on my G2 headset was a firmware update that came out in April 2021 and was supposed to fix some audio and video problems (audio dropouts, black screens, etc). Maybe download that from HP support and install it if you haven’t. It’s version 15 rev.a.

The DX setting is global. Look in the user.cfd, it is set prior to the plate world/VR settings.

The advantages in short: Reduced Gpu load @ 80% average with consistent frame rate locked @ 26,7 fps.

11900k, 3090, Reverb G2, OXR100/TAA100, T-LOD 400, high to ultra settings (beside reflections set to medium).

I tried dx12 before and it made vr even worse for some reason, in my case.

Yeah its crazy all this trouble lol…

I think i did do the firmware update but ill double check.

Is it normal for nyc discovery flight (and others) to stick you behind the aircraft 3rd person view? Its a pain to get back to cockpit view, unless there is a hot key.

At any rate, with the 3rd person view if you just turn your head left to right initially when it loads, on my system i get the slight ghosting of the buildings as you turn your head, your saying you dont see this at all? If you say, yeah a little ghosting, then i may have it fixed at least to match up to whats expected at this point.

I did do a wipe, i removed official and let it redownload everything as a test.

I have a hot key programmed to my flight stick so when I go into VR then I just hit that key and it takes me inside the cockpit. Then I have another hotkey setup to recenter the VR headset view. And no I don’t have any ghosting at all. I use reprojection always on but I’ve also run with it always off and don’t have problems. On the complete re-install of the sim, I have also seen posts that some folks have gone so far as to re-install windows and they have seen problems fixed for some odd reason, maybe a corrupt file somewhere inside the windows OS so a fresh install along with all of the drivers and associated updates. Time consuming for sure but at this point why not give that a shot if you haven’t already. Also, on NVidia driver installs I usually do a ‘custom’ install option and then check the ‘clean install’ so it wipes the old driver first completely rather than the standard install that just adds incremental stuff. I also skip the geoforce experience program completely as I don’t use it’s features and some of them if turned on will try to optimize your game settings and can conflict with MSFS settings from what I’ve read.

techically this install is a fresh install of win11… but i reused the custom location of the official and community, but i also just refreshed that folder by renaming and i did the renaming of the localcache files, i thought that was enough, maybe not.

For some reason recenter vr doesnt put it in the cockpit, i think i need to rebind the cockpit shortcut to my flight yoke is all (for those 3rd person activity flights).

I may try the clean install on the nvidia driver again.

Heres the interesting part. I have another desktop with another lesser msi board but the 10700k not 10900k. So i went over there got everything up to date, same custom folder files from my main machine (also nvme ssd etc).

I got the g2 installed, set oxr to 60% and preview mode off (tried to make everything the same + settings)… tested the nyc flight… looked around, barely a ghosting event, maybe tiny ones… i turned on the oxr fps readout (not the dev one) and it was showing 22.5 to 30, as you approach the buildings around 27, 25, 30 etc.

I’m going to double check that the sim/oxr settings match on my main machine then work my way back downward, nvidia driver (use same version thats on the other pc, apples to apples), will see how it pans out. The other machine is win 11 (but upgraded 11 from 10) that works ok.

Ah the fun with sims :slight_smile:

Well i matched at least the sim settings and oxr, same issue. Now im rolling forward to match up nvidia drivers maybe even use DDU to remove the old, unsure.

update: I put the same (old, april 2021) driver that the “good” machine had on, did clean install, didnt do ddu, same issue sadly.

I guess given the headset works pretty well in other titles, leads me to think its just a flight simulator difference somewhere, i may do the full uninstall yet again… any suggestions on paths that may leave remnants behind? (i run off the C drive for the exe and the custom path for everything else) I figure just localcache in the users area

**It could also be a faulty 3080, i may painfully attempt switching cards from one pc to the other to see too although again, id say less likely given other titles being ok.

On the display timing view, im seeing 77-90 hz and about 5.6ms max on the post gpu line, id need to compare that to the other good machine. Post age larger number sits around 51ms.

EDIT: i recall once hearing about how rgb parts might interfere with vr, i have RGB ram and the rgb part of the geforce ftw 3080 also is lit up. I think the ram needs a special program to turn off and i think precision pro to turn off the card, but it might be worth trying, assuming its not just the sim.

update: disabled rgb, no change

**actually at times in the wmr “house” home area, you can see the same flicker/ghosting, but mainly or only when msfs is running

Today i tried a clean install of win 11, same tests as before.

The issue is still there.
At this point i have to say its a motherboard setting or usb issue (but i did try my dedicated usb card, dedicated usb hub and all ports on the pc)… or, my 3080 ftw has an issue.

Up next i guess ill bring the 3080 xc3 from the other “good” pc and put it in this one and see if its better.

Swapping video cards didnt help.

I tried DDU in safe mode and clean install of the driver on the bare bones win 11, didnt help either.

At this point it has to be either weird motherboard issue / usb port issue or some other thing plugged in thats causing an issue (i did unplug a lot to work around that possibility already).

You’re going to drive yourself crazy. I have a Ryzen 5950X (16 Core), 64GB RAM, NVME, RTX 3090 and a Reverb G2 with similar issues. It’s the game.

Try running another flight sim like dcs to test if same issues appear.