HP Reverb G2 + Asus 3090 + 5950x -> PC Shutdown

Hello everybody,

I like the possibility to talk to each other, to all flight ensthusiasts.

I recently recognized that even my straight power 850W Be Quiet seems not enough to power the games which results into various instant PC shutdowns. No crash to desktop a full shutdown of the PSU with a security break of 15 min before I can turn it back on.

I recognized a post, where somebody asked to make the monitor render picture even smaller: Therefore I am running it in windowed mode by 800x600 in low settings.

And after this, a have no PSU shutdown anymore: Was the full screen render in 4k Ultra settings to much? Although in windowed mode it works perfectly.

I think it would be even more helpful for others if you wear the VR headset you do not need a fullscreen window with the same resolution. Would be better to show ask whatever to the user that both FULLSCREEN & VR consumes a lot of power (PSU) and grafics power of the 3090 even the OC version.

What do you think, if the psu is shutting down it’s more a topic of the psu rather than the game isn’t optimized?

Thank you!!

It sounds like your PSU, GPU, or motherboard are bad. I’d troubleshoot in that order. My hardware is super close to yours. I was running the 5900x, Zotac 3090, a Corsair RMX 850w PSU and G2 for a couple of days until the G2 stopped connecting to the computer with a 4-1 error. So I returned the headset. While it ran it ran well, however, and continues to run at 4k Ultra in 2D without issue.

The 5950x would use more power in general. But specifically for Flight Simulator? I don’t think so since it’s not using the extra four cores you’ve got in there. It should run on that config, so I suspect the PSU is faulty. I’m also overclocking both my 5900x and 3090, which uses more power, and it’s still stable on 850 watts.

There are reports that the 3000 series Nvidia GPUs cause power spiking issues. That might be enough to trip the protective faults on a PSU, especially if this PSU already struggling. The issue clears up when you drop the resolution so that makes me think this is related. I’d still try for a different PSU first though, switch brands and up the wattage.

And then there are loads of reports that the G2 is super flakey in conjunction with AMD chipsets. I suspect that’s my own problem, the G2 just cannot make a USB connection at all.

1 Like

I am not on VR nor own a similar rig but of recent I had a shutdown as soon as I upgraded my monitor.I am running a good quality PSU Seasonic 650w Gold with just a dated locked i5 and 2060super.I have a feeling overheating played a role and it shutdown to protect itself. No longer getting shutdowns but I am still keeping an eye out.
I would be more comfortable getting a decent 1000w PSU with your specs.This software does demand a lot of power. What brand PSU are you using?

TLDR
You should consider running a 1000W 80+Gold for those specs especially if any overclocking is done or overclocked hardware is installed.
850W is pushing it in that combination, even for stock clocks.

Try using DEBUG MODE in Nvidia Control Panel to see if stock clocks help with stability.

1 Like

Thanks, currently I use Asus Tweak III with stock clocks which are the OC clocks, because a have a stock OC Asus… basically it’s at its hightest maximum and the 3090 is anyhow not really a OC friendly card.

Today the new PSU will be installed, I will try 100% TDP and Fullscreen Ultra + VR with the G2 this is the final test.

Come back

Debug Mode runs the Nvidia reference/base clocks, removes the OC.
Worth a try.

YEAH!

Everything is fine now even if the main screen still renders in 4k Ultra Settings, the system is powered now by 1000W Be Quiet PSU the best vendoor in Germany.

Please take a look into my GPU-Z logs if you want:

I strongly recommend 1kW!!

Best wishes