I finally found peace

That is my Keurig so I can have some coffee or hot cocoa for the long haul flights. Sometimes I have a cup while relaxing watching TV as well.

2 Likes

I have been flight simming as well since the c64 and Spectrum days.

I enjoy the sim, I left Xplane and P3D because I know that when a big actor comes on stage, reagardless of what one believes the development will move to that actor.

The Xplane scene has not moved at all, the 2 big factors for Xplane was Vulkan and xEnviro. Vulkan is now released and we have finally xEnviro out but its a little too late. That train has passed.

So I decided to use MSFS 2020 and I am happy with it but it is clear that the sim is in a very early stage. For those insisting that the game is fine, I have one word for you: devkit.

Once you set your teeth to it, you fully understand why planes and scenary behave the way they do. This sim is about 2 years away from catching up to FSX. Just sit down read and try and make airplanes and you understand why we have the payware planes that are not far off default planes.

Yes the scenary is there, the visuals are there but this is flight simming, in depth system simulation, weather, analysis (replay) and planning. That will not be there for a while.

Ever since I realized that I have found peace with my self, it is a product that is about 2 years away from what I expected it to be.

1 Like

That’s what I liked about the Coleco ADAM. The main media for games was on tape and it had a built-in tape drive.

2 Likes

Two years away from FSX? Really? Are you using the same software I‘m using? Light, weather, the entire world at your feet? Sorry, but this sim is no comparison to FSX, unless you like flat runways and clouds in the shape of rectangles. The heavies will come. Give it some time. Till then, enjoy what we have!

1 Like

Wish I had never sold my C64 with 5’4 Quarter? Floppy DD.
Loved playing…

Refreshing positive post. Good to see someone got a 3080 :+1:

1 Like

Add my vote in favor. I haven’t been at this quite as long as some of you, but I do go back to Microsoft Flight Simulator for the Apple Macintosh, April 1986.

And like many of you, I’m enjoying simming in MSFS much more than any sim I’ve used in years.

Something I’ve found to my surprise is that I’m suddenly much less obsessed with deep, accurate, in-depth aircraft systems. What keeps pulling me back in is the emotional impact of the visuals and they way the whole experience comes together in a much more balanced way. The other night I took a short dusk flight in my local area in the modded 152, and after I’d relaxed and admired the evening light, I turned back to my home airport just as the stars were coming out, and discovered I could use them to find my way Something I’ve found to my surprise is that I’m suddenly much less obsessed with deep, accurate, in-depth aircraft systems. What keeps pulling me back in is the emotional impact of the visuals and they way the whole experience comes together in a much more balanced way. The other night I took a short dusk flight in my local area in the modded 152, and after I’d relaxed and admired the evening light, I turned back to my home airport just as the stars were coming out, and discovered I could use them to find my way back. When I landed, that’s what I was thinking about, not how accurately cylinder head temp had been rendered. back. When I landed, that’s what I was thinking about, not how accurately cylinder head temp had been rendered.

Simplicity. Emotion. Balance.

And… a postscript… one more vote in favor of the modded CJ4. It’s the full jet experience with plenty of atmosphere and a single-pilot workload. Not too much, not overwhelming, just enough.

Definitely happy to be flying here.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to reply to the topic, not the post. But you get the point.

1 Like

Sooo … just downloaded LFKL on the marketplace for just $US5 … very basic airfield and very very short grass strip but it illustrates perfectly what I love about this sim.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was very lucky. Picked an unpopular one at the time (ASUS TUF) that was already showing pre-order status instead of purchase once the selling started. I already chose the ASUS beforehand and I had to purchase it using a phone, so I didn’t see the others had a purchase button instead of a pre-order button. So logically everyone went with the ones that were available for purchase and they never got their cards, I had it within a week.

Just open up devmode and read the manual.

If that is not FSX then I dont know what is, you can not do complex things. They themselves have said that the sim is BUILT on FSX code.

In all honesty, I never agreed with the “game” v “sim” crowd - you know, “It’s not a game it’s a sim!” shouters, who usually came from the X-plane community and quite honestly made me laugh a lot to myself.
But that’s how I see the difference between FSX, P3D, XP11 and FS2020 now.

I have FSX and P3Dv3 on my PC (too many of my fave planes don’t work in 64bit) as well as FS2020. The only things I have them on for is missions and Air Hauler 1 in FSX and Air Hauler 2 in P3Dv3, with Orbx scenery. My ‘real’ sim flying is done in FS2020 - and now I think about it, since my first VR flight in this sim, I’ve not touched the others, despite even now still buying add-ons for them, though admittedly ones that are on reduced price sales.

There is no going back. I’ll wait for my Carenado planes to arrive in this sim - three already have - and enjoy flying in whatever is around me in the meantime. I’m doing a lot of converting models from FSX to FS2020 at the moment - but yesterday I started asking myself why? Wondering if I shouldn’t just leave them in the past and stick with the amazing present and enticing future.

1 Like

Bet that hurts! :rofl: Still you’re wise to keep it in a safe place as it could be worth a bob or two! :grin:

2 Likes

As a fellow flying dutchman I can only agree with you.
VR is on my bucketlist but will probably run poor on my somewhat modest rig.
i7, 1650 Qmax, 12 GB ram.
One day I’ll get there but that takes a complete new ( home-made) machine and that will cost a ton.
In the mean time I accept my limitations.

1 Like

Well said, I now play with Air Manager, knobster, etc reducing my need to interact by mouse. I’m pretty content with the sim in general and there are devs doing great work. Once the SDK is solid the devs will really shine.

1 Like

I don’t think it will work on that machine no, but it will give you something to look forward to a least.

1 Like

I’m running VR on an i7-4790, 16GB DDR3, RX 580 4GB, Oculus Rift CV1.

The experience is amazing. I flew up to the summit of Haleakala on Maui at sunrise and it was exactly what it looked like in real life.

I spent many hours when I was little flying FlightLite at 4FPS on a 486, so the 18FPS I get now seems more than reasonable.

I think some of the passionate negativity stems from the sim being “so close” to ideal that it hurts. If was a dud, folks would just meh and move on. Being near but not quite ideal is almost worse than being nowhere near.

3 Likes

My rig is basically a potato compared to everyone here and I love VR. Maybe pick up a cheap used Rift CV1 for $100 to bomb around with? Full-disclosure: I think I may lack the sickness thing others seem to get from less-than-silky frame rates, so your level of quease may vary!

1 Like

Yes, I think you have vast insight. Thankyou

Didn’t know it could run well on lower spec machines, the lower resolution of the CV1 will probably help a lot though.

@GONEFLYING1234 I’ve got an old Oculus CV1 lying around collecting dust, so if you live anywhere near Zoetermeer you can use it to try it out on your machine.

Hello LMeX,

Thank you for this thread! I’ll make sure to make it visible to the team! Thanks everyone for sharing your experience of MSFS also. There’s always room for improvement and we’ll keep going this way!

This is a great source of motivation. Thanks again.

9 Likes