I finally found peace

I am so glad to hear that your new system is working great. I have been eyeing the same CPU/GPU setup for a couple of months now but after reading so many negative threads on this forum, I have been hesitant to take the leap. I quit on FSX years ago because my machine couldn’t produce smooth flight and I wasn’t in a place where I could afford to upgrade.

It is really great to hear from folks that are actually having fun with MSFS2020. I think it is time to take the leap. Thanks to all that have posted here. It has reignited my excitement about getting back into flight-simming!

1 Like

Nice! New Zealand right?

1 Like

Oh, you have no idea. And sadly, this forum is absolutely FULL of them, though I imagine many to most of them are literally kids who like complaining just to hear themselves speak. But I swear, if I hear one more person whining about insignificant (a) bed of roses like those stupid scenery spikes, my head is literally going to pop off my body and ascend into a low earth orbit while still on fire.

And then, when you call them out for being babies and whining all the time because, well, they’re being babies and whining all the time, they team up and complain about your post(s) until they get censored, which only takes a small handful of complaints.

Anyway, I’m going to cut myself off before I really get wound up and go on an epic roll they’ll be talking about for ages lol…

3 Likes

That’s very kind of you, to give me the opportunity to try your CV1 with my laptop :sunglasses:
A little downside is that I live in the Enschede region but… I have family in Dordt which I have to visit shortly. I’ll contact you…

1 Like

Yes, just send me a message when you know when you’re coming to this side of the country :slight_smile:

Will do, thanks :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I got a string of comments flagged because I dared to answer the question in the title. According to those guys, unless I was building an actual, full size cockpit in my living room, MY solutions to MY flight simulator set-up were wrong, offered nothing to the discussion and thus deserved censor. Apparently, they want a complete study level sim of every airplane every built. They want it now. And they want it for about $100. I just want to fly around and look at the world, but I must not be doing it right.

4 Likes

100% agree. I’ve shared similar thoughts here many times as well. Too many folks I feel are jaded by short-sighted, instant gratification needs and missing the brilliance of what we have in front of us today. Think of how many “That’s it, I’m done” posts you’ve seen here. It really smacks in the face those of us who’ve been around flight simulators for decades and others who haven’t but can really appreciate what the development team have delivered compared to what we’ve been “satisfied” with all these years.

3 Likes

I actually got a Samsung S5 in a Google Cardboard-alike headset running VR with Riftcat. It was a challenge with lots of issues; blocky graphics, drifting views, connection. It was great fun. I get the allure. In the end though, I got it working enough to figure out that what I do in the sim wouldn’t be worth the outlay. Less than a month later, my center monitor gave it up and I had to replace it. Had I bought a headset, I’d have been running everything except MSFS on a pair of 17" 1280x1024 monitors.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience and enthusiasm, I just would ask what hardware you built up to enjoy at full power the VR experience of MSFS2020. This might help me and other to direct our future upgrade in the right direction

1 Like

I’m actually running a pretty old CPU i7-6700K @4.4GHZ along with 32GB ram at 2400mhz. The sim is installed on an older SSD. I did install an RTX3080 (not overclocked) so that makes it possible to run on a quite high resolution using the Quest 2. I posted more details and my settings here:

As much as you are all finding peace in this thread not sure what the purpose of topics like this are.
Your all happy and simming away.
I think the real truth about how well this game is received is the sales numbers.
A topic such as this really doesn’t reflect much of anything except one persons over joyous drooling over a game.

Looks to me more than one person.

6 Likes

Sure there is room for improvement, but for the first time there is a team behind this sim that actually cares about the same things many of us care about AND they actually have the resources to provide these.

What gives you that idea and can you back that up with facts?

FS has always been a Microsoft product since they bought out Sublogic so the resources were always there in theory. Asobo has zilch experience with flight sims, not counting the obvious figureheads.

What makes them better suited than the ACES team was back then?

I admire your enthusiasm and positivity and I do not want my post to be taken in a negative light. But looking at the simulation side of things, I am not sure Asobo wants the same as many of us do. Their focus was obviously not the IFR/study-sim crowd with so many weird approaches to functions such as navigation and navaids.

To me, it is hard to follow their line of thinking when they laid down the basic design of the new sim, which inherits many flaws or previous sims while regressing on proven features. I do love the terrain (where it is detailed) and the weather (other than the inaccuracy and METAR mismatch).

But even starting with the much touted new flight model there is “room for improvement” as you said.

My questions will probably be frowned upon in this thread, but I just want to keep an avenue open to discuss on neutral grounds. Because I feel overappraisal is as harmful to the truth as is blatant bashing of Asobos accomplishments.

I am also very happy with the sim, and I think it is good to find a bit of optimism, among the complaints. Don’t get me wrong, I am certain that the problems that a lot of people report, are real to them (some problems are common for all) and I try to help if I can (I’ve been simming for 17 years, and I have some knowledge of certain things), but sharing a good experience is as good as reporting your problems. If I were a developer, I would like to know that I did something right every now and then.

2 Likes

I can totally see where you are coming from. But different people have different priorities.

If the terrain spikes do not bother you, fine. Let others be bothered by them without condescending on these people - me being one of them. It’s very telling how this supposed “peace thread” is filling up with negativity about negativity.

As long as one side elevates themselves above the other or we even have a perception of “sides” in this forum, there will always be conflict.

Let’s just accept that there are so many different people and levels of knowledge brought together with a product like FS and celebrate our differences instead of denying people their valid opinions.

I take the sim for what it is, with strengths and faults. Telling ourselves the sim is just fine as is amounts to the same delusion as saying it is all bad.

I’m referring to the original poster that wrote the dissertation.

Just read the interviews, view the FAQ’s, look at the attention to the smaller details within the sim. The fact that many people on the team are actually taking flight lessons says something. Look at the depth that’s within the weather model, how it looks, how terrain and buildings affect the flight model. Flying at night in the rain is really something you should experience in VR at least once, it’s so immersive. People who do not have a passion for flight will probably not create things like that.

I don’t think the ACES team lacked caring about the same things many of us care about, but they did not have the resources at the time to create something this complex and with all the partner support this sim is getting during development. Don’t underestimate the amount of both love, passion and resources that are poured into this product. You can absolutely feel it, although many things are still rough around the edges. The flight model may not be perfect yet, but it simulates a lot of things that were never simulated before. And they are still working on it to improve it and to build upon it.

What makes me think they are different than the ACES crew though is that they are creating a product that recreates FLIGHT first and then simulation instead of the other way around. This is really important as that hasn’t been been done so well in my opinion up until now. This product is not solely about instruments, charts, speed, altitude, fuel burning rates and all the other technical facets of a simulation. No, it simulates flying from A to B, navigating by visual aids, having to deal with all sorts of weather and atmospheric conditions. It simulates dangerous landings in mountainous areas with updrafts and downdrafts. It actually gives me a greater sense of flying than any other product has done before. No it doesn’t make me feel an airliner captain yet, but FSX, PMDG and X-Plane are still great for that.

There are plenty of good products already that meticulously simulate IFR/study level simulation, so why would they start by competing at that end? I think it’s pretty great they are targeting the people that never really got a great simulator like the bush pilots and the VFR pilots first. This is an entirely new path and I don’t think we should look at it as a product set in stone. I’m pretty sure the IFR and study sim pilots will eventually get a great product too. Once the more in depth planes from PMDG hit the market and AI with liveries gets finished that will probably turn the table pretty fast.

So as mainly a VFR pilot with a long for bush flying now and then I just wanted to show my appreciation and tell them how I feel about this product. I really can’t understand what’s wrong with that, this is a community forum after all. I think the people having issues with this product have had plenty of room to express that, so now it’s time to also talk about the positive sides for once. Many of us are probably happy flying around instead of posting on the forums though, as will I be pretty soon after this :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So, do you think this forum is only for talking about what’s wrong with the game? Don’t you think it is well deserved for the team to get a compliment for their work now and then?

I’m a software developer myself and I know how it feels when people are constantly telling you what’s not working like it should instead of just for once telling you how happy they are with all the rest of it that’s working perfectly fine. For some reason lots of customers seem to be only focusing on what’s not there instead of what is already there, that can be quite frustrating considering how enormously complex and time consuming building a software product can be, especially building super complex products like this.

And yes, I am drooling over a game, anything wrong with that? Am I not allowed to tell that? Should it be impossible for me to be so over joyous about this game? I really don’t understand what the purpose of your comments is.

4 Likes

At first, thank you very much for taking the time and taking my question seriously. :smile:

I get where you are coming from and again I like your enthusiasm.

So if I condense your response, you like that FS2020 has a focus on VFR and dead reckoning. As a matter of fact, I read interviews, looked at PR material, and even saw alpha versions of the game (don’t ask). I can get behind that focus on “flight” when all the other things you mention are done right nonetheless, even if they are not the focus. But they are not.

There are plenty of good products already that meticulously simulate IFR/study level simulation, so why would they start by competing at that end?

Because FS has always been one of those products. They stopped competing at that end. That is different altogether from never starting.

At least to me, the name Flight Simulator implies all kinds of flying. And this has been the case in every version since I use Flight Simulator (look up my forum bio if you are interested in which sims I played). It irks me that they decided to deviate from their proven model and leave the IFR crowd “hanging” so to speak. I know third party developers will save the day eventually. But it would have been nice to have a “more correct” experience out of the box.

The weather, in particular, is as fantastic as it is a major gripe for me because real-world forecasts are not accurate to the sim and my VFR flights still end up in IMC at the destination from time to time.

For all the things you imply have never been simulated before, I can name one thing that has been omitted or not been improved upon, I am sure. I realize that we have a 60 USD product here, but some things have been done better in the past in my opinion and that is where my frustrations stem from. Because as a layman it is hard to fathom where these regressions come from and what necessitated them.

BUT

All in all, I remain confident that things will improve for the reasons you named and I am also at peace with the simulator in the current state because I have so many beautiful things to occupy my time.

1 Like