I have figured out what the root causes of my FPS drops are. Workaround included (may only work for some)

Ha! The world of flightsimming in a nutshell. I think people are just as addicted to tweaking as they are to flying. I can remember this tug-of-war since the early days. I’d be delighted if Asobo produced a product that didn’t involve the need to eek out some extra performance, but where’s the fun in that :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I was quite happy with my pre-UK performance. I hadn’t changed any of my settings since back in December or so at that point. I was getting 40+ fps most of the time, and it was a nice experience.

After the UK update, though, that’s when I started messing with stuff again after that update robbed me of 15 fps. And then SU3 robbed me of another 10 and no amount of lowering of settings made any difference at all.

1 Like

Yeah, the UK is what did it for me too. I think the performance didn’t get noticed as much because of the other problems but it was definitely there. Things just got worse after SU3.

Indeed. Whatever happened with the UK update was compounded in SU3. I went from 40-45 fps, down to 25-30 fps after that. Then down to 15-20 fps after the SU3.

A reinstall (Steam verify + redownload of content) seems to have squeeked out an extra 5 fps. I’m sitting in the low 20s now. It’s playable, but not terribly enjoyable because that 20-25 fps is often interrupted by huge pauses and stutters, whereas at least before it was a mostly smooth 25-30

1 Like

I’ve basically killed any process from my tray that isn’t required, including iCue and Steel Series software. Sitting on the apron at KAPF, an airport I fly out of regularly and one of my benchmarks, I’m seeing a small increase of maybe 3 fps. Maybe.

Since I reinstalled yesterday, I’ve been sitting at about 23-25 sitting idle here. Now I’m seeing 25-ish most of the time and had a couple of jumps up to 28 and dips down to 23. Took a quick flight around the area, and still seeing the same mediocre performance as before. It’s flyable, but not terribly enjoyable when I used to get 40+ in this area before the UK update with these exact settings.

Unfortunately, if it made any difference at all, it wasn’t enough to make it noticeable in any practical manner. 3 fps I consider to be within margin of error with variables such as weather, traffic, etc. Today I have zero live traffic working it would seem, so that could be the cause of the increase.

I would consider it Asobo just handing off canned messages with smart sounding advice to make it look good to clients with problems. Like I said, if someone has a crapload of game stores and other stuff running in their system tray and they’re low on physical memory (16 GB or less), it may give them a small performance increase to make a slightly bigger page file on a fast drive. But it won’t restore like 10+ fps that a patch robbed from them. Nor will it fix stuttering caused by the CPU being overloaded.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know what the deal is with people obsessing over tweaking. In my opinion, these are glitches that are baked into the sim, so until they get fixed, there’s going to be a problem. Even if the problem is smaller for some, it’s a problem nonetheless.

1 Like

Well the premise of this ‘fix’ was that the iCue Software was clashing with something in MSFS and that was the problem, This morining I was up to 35-45fps in the afternoon it was pretty constant at 25 fps. The 35-45 is usually where it runs for me. Doesnt seem to matter if you have PG on or off and Same with Bing on or off.

Oh well NEXT! lol

I’m stuck at this frame rate it would seem. Disabling all online services including PG and lowering my graphics settings to all minimum does nothing other than lower my gpu usage. I still maintain the same pathetic frame rate in the mid 20s.

I wish I could get back to the 40 from before the UK update.

1 Like

I read this morning on google news that Azure was down yesterday afternoon for various MS services. Im kinda wondering if ‘Azure’ isnt part of the problem. This isnt the 1st time there have been issues with it.

P3D still works great here so I can still get some flight time in.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.