I heard that simplified Chinese will be postponed again?

I don’t quite understand why it was confirmed that simplified Chinese was launched on su9 on March 24, and it was said that simplified Chinese would be launched on a future version on March 26? A future version? Don’t even say Su10, just say one day in the future? I wonder why?

Why not release the interface, buttons and key settings first, and then start the subsequent improvement and repair? Hasn’t this been done all the time? Repair, repair, perfect and perfect again.

Why did it stop suddenly? Did you start the preparation of this work on March 24, 2022? I believe that the developers have at least completed the basic work of simplified Chinese, and only some details have not been completed. Therefore, why not launch it on su9 first. I’m sure that even if developers release simplified Chinese that they think is good one day in the future, there will still be problems and need to be further updated and adjusted. There is never perfect, so why not release the existing one as soon as possible and improve it in the future.

First, this is only a regional language update and will not affect players in other regions. Second, even if it has problems, we just need to return to English, and it will still have no impact. Just like dx12, developers can choose not to use it until it is fully optimized. It’s like the playback function in developer mode. Now, no one wants to put the playback online in normal mode as soon as possible.

It is hoped that developers can launch the existing simplified Chinese version according to the original plan. You can optimize it in a future update.

2 Likes

The update on March 26 is Wu8, not su9. The update of su9 is in April, so at present, it has not been postponed!

Please clarify the update mechanism first.

1 Like

I mean on twitter, they said on March 24 that simplified Chinese would be released in su9, but on twitter on March 26, they said that simplified Chinese would be released in a future update.

I wish I had received false news, but if so, I hope they can consider my suggestion in advance.

look:

March 26th[RELEASE NOTES (1.24.5.0) WORLD UPDATE VIII: IBERIA NOW AVAILABLE!]

It’s WU8(WORLD UPDATE VIII), not su9. Su9 hasn’t been updated yet!!! Sim update 9 is in April.

FSMicrosoft flight simulator @ MSFS official, March 26 @ gLHKHiaeW2c2TPY unfortunately, I have just received an Update, Chinese localization will not be able to prepare for Sim Update 9 in time, but will appear in another Update in the future. We regret the delay.

After reading the screenshot, I understand what you mean. This is bad news…

Hello,

I am sorry about this delay. I know how important this translation is to you and the rest of the Chinese simming community.

I have no official information for you, but I will make a guess as to what happened, but please understand that this is only a guess:

The work on this started several months ago. The March 10th feedback snapshot (#4) stated:
https://msfs-cdn.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Slide1-1.jpg

I will write out the above message for anyone using the forums with translation software:

This work is nearly complete, and we plan on providing Simplified Chinese as part of Sim Update 9.

After writing out the Chinese translation, the team has to ensure that these translations work on all three supported platforms: PC, Xbox, and Xbox Gaming Cloud. My guess is that the implementation did not pass testing on one or more platforms, probably due to the character encoding. The root cause could be related to legacy code from FSX, but I don’t know. Given the lack of a release date, my guess is that they have to make some kind of major code change in order to support the language, and that releasing it partially might cause problems.

Again, I have no official information on this. The above is only a guess. And I am really sorry for the delay.

okay, thank you.

As you said, I just want this test to be public. I mean, release it in su9, and then players in the Chinese area will help complete the test in use.

In addition, I think that regional language is a mature work, which requires workload rather than technical bottlenecks. Chinese regional players have also made traditional Chinese, which has been running normally since April last year. The difference is that the accuracy of Chinese translation is not high. We are very satisfied with this on the condition that it is provided free of charge.

Because simulated flight is different from others, it contains many professional terms and abbreviations. These abbreviations cannot be translated by any software, which leads to a lot of trouble and errors when setting the operation button.

This is the main reason why I personally hope to get official Chinese. This really affects the game experience. Therefore, I still hope that simplified Chinese can be released normally in su9.

Again, we don’t ask for high quality, because I believe it won’t be worse than the homemade traditional Chinese that can be completed in a week.

I understand. You and I wrote back and forth about this last year, and I know that you are really passionate about this.

Please understand that I am not authorized to speak on behalf of Microsoft or Asobo. But I will say this:

While users may be able to edit their own .locPak files, there is a difference between that and packaging this with the official product. Neither of us knows what decisions have to be made on this, but in large software implementations, there are strict processes that must be followed.

1 Like

Thank you as well.

1 Like

I’ve waited a long time. It’s really disappointing!

The wonderful joy of character encoding - only in IT, ever since it was invented :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, and I’m sorry. :frowning:

2 Likes

I can only do guesswork here, and add to what has been already said by @N316TS : the issue is most likely not related to the (completeness, correctness of) translation itself, but rather may be related to how the “chinese characters” are stored. Keyword: “character encoding”.

Without going too much into boring, technical details: characters (letters and numbers like a, b, c, …, z and 1, 2, 3, …, 0 etc.) are “mapped” onto numbers. Because “numbers” is what computers “understand” (binary numbers, 0s and 1s, to be specific).

Now there are essentially two design criteria:

• What shall the largest number be, or in other words: “How many characters do we want to support”?
  • Which character should be mapped onto what number?

As you can imagine there is a huge number of ways (permutations) of how such mappings could be done. That’s why there are standard mappings. Not quite the oldest, but perhaps best known such standard is called ASCII.

The problem here: it encodes characters with only 7bit, allowing only for 128 (= 2^7, “2 to the power of 7”) characters - including “special characters” like TAB, RETURN (“line break”) and what not. There are also several variants of “extended ASCII codes” like “Latin-1” and so forth, making use of the “full 8 bit in a byte”, allowing to encode umlauts like ä, ö and ü and also characters with accents like é, â etc. - but in the end we’re talking about a maximum of 256 characters (only).

This worked all great in the 60ies of the last century, for a couple of decades. Because most IT programs were translated in English only, and those “funny Europeans with their Ümläuts” were served with the “extended ASCII” mappings (where the fun was already starting, because the “extended part” varies from country to country: Latin1, Latin2, …up to Latin15. Not to mention that essentially operating system came up with their own encodings like Windows-1252 (CP-1252). But we digress :wink:

Now the world has moved on in the last couple of thousands of years and invented way more characters than just 256 different characters. Enter Chinese (and Emoji ;))!

What gives? We need more space! 8bit per character is simply not enough, we need 16bit (around 65’000+ possible characters) or even 32bit per character (many, many, many emojis). Enter Unicode which tries to define “the ultimate character mapping, once and for all”.

(Now Unicode by itself is so complex - keyword: “combined characters” - that it is a frequent root cause for various security exploits in various mobile messaging services, including desktop applications. But that’s a story for another time).

But yes, the implication here is that existing text storage as used “in FSX legacy code” needs to be identified (means: someone needs to search the code and find every “user-readable text” which may ever be presented to the user on screen. Note: by far not every “text” in a computer program is meant to be shown to the user on screen) and most importantly changed “to Unicode”. This may or may not be trivial work, depending on whether the text also needs to be “persisted” (in some file or database, and later read again into memory), means: “conversion code” may also be involved.

All this may make “simplified Chinese” not so simple to support after all :wink:

6 Likes

That’s all right. I’ll keep waiting. I hope to hear good news soon.

2 Likes

The problem of unicode-8 does bring a lot of trouble to the game. Incorrect flight plans, inexplicably low GPU occupancy and low FPS have been solved after checking unicode-8 in the regional language setting.

This is impossible for self-made Chinese interface. At first, I thought that developers only planned to release the Chinese interface first. Do they intend to solve a series of problems under the Chinese operating system once and for all? This is a leapfrog optimization, which is really good. Most of us want to get the Chinese on the interface for the time being.

I am note sure what you refer to when you say “self-made Chinese interface” and “problems related to the Chinese Operating system” (I assume you mean either Windows 10 or 11 with Chinese localisation - but I have no idea what problems there might be specific to such an operating system localisation in combination with MSFS). And I also don’t know what “leap frog optimisations” you are referring to either.

So all my explanations were meant for this one specific task that you just mentioned, namely “translation of the MSFS user interface to simplified Chinese”. And the possible difficulties - namely identifiying all “text strings” in “FSX legacy code” and convert them to “unicode capable text strings” - in this process I have outlined in my original post.

But again, that neither addresses any “problem with the operating system” (which I am not even aware of), nor does it address any “optimisations”. It is simply straight-forward, but tedious required work to be able to store unicode strings in memory (and that the program code handles them properly as such), which is a prerequisite to be able to provide translations for languages which go beyond the Latin character set.

By know you should get the idea why “even simple things can get infinitly difficult in computer science” (aka “there is no such thing as an easy thing in IT”) and why there might be a delay in providing the simplified Chinese translation. :wink:

However I emphasise again that all that I just wrote is pure guesswork and the actual reasons for the delay might be totally different (and non-technical related).

There is a popular mod in the Chinese flight simming community that gives limited traditional Chinese support. But unfortunately, it has limitations.

2 Likes

Hello! The team is hard at work on simplified Chinese localization, originally planned for SU9. Unfortunately we are experiencing some delays and have to push the release. Please know we are still actively working on this request to make it live as soon as it is ready.

4 Likes