I like POIs, but a little more love for them would be great

Really like taking the new top rudder for low&slow landmark VRF. The POIs are great to give me a purpose for such flying. Start at some airport, navigate to POI by just Alt-Tabbing between bing maps and MFS and feature match the landscape to navigate. No compass, no gps, just old school.

If only the POIs had some more love. Looks like it was outsourced to Bangalore or something. Especially painful was the peak midi observatory that was modelled nicely, but the placed on some 3D rocks that had a completely different color than the satellite data, thus sticking out like some kid placed it there.

Here is this castle in the south of France. This is not exactly well done. Would be great if POIs were only placed where the sat data holds up.

No need to Alt+Tab, give FSPM VFR Map a try, it adds a button to the toolbar at the top of the screen and when clicked it opens a detailed map window while you continue to fly and then closes in the same way. It doesn’t replace the near useless MSFS map.

First time you use it, it may open a tiny box top right of the screen which you have to grab an edge to extend the window (can be tricky to grab the edge) after that first time it will open the extended window for all flight sessions.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s cool. I am not into airspace flying yet though. I am a pure sightseeing tourist.

I use the distance tool in Bing to draw a line between departure and arrival airport, then as I fly along I constantly check the landscape and compare to Bing maps to make sure I am following the line. Like ‘red tulip field to the left in MFS, Alt-Tab Bing, yup there it is in Bing, I am right on target’. Maybe I use a tablet in future to display Bing maps. Very nailbiting in mountain areas. Got hopelessly lost at times and had to touch down to really study Bing maps to figure out where I am. Also learned one thing from this: soccer fields and industrial areas with huge buildings are your FRIEND!

The airspace part is a switchable overlay, the map beneath uses openmap or similar. I understand the low and slow VFR is what you do.

LittleNavMap can do a switchable map overlay too with satellite imagery and a path between points, but takes some setting up.

Anyway, if it works for you as is, then it’s all good.

Is it me or are the exclamation marks NOT automatically removed if you come close to them ??

If i recall this was always the case ( not talking on camera or locking the POI … just flying near them )

yeah, the observatory is there as well. I do not understand why they do not blend it in better. Making the rock color less brown and brighter to match the satellite image is easy. This stuff is definitely done in Microsofts ‘best cost countries’…

looks so absolutely silly

They also will need to start making them solid or at least with solid grounds for when helicopters officially arrive. Every time i land at a POI i go through the POI ground & land on the original terrain height

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.