I may be a lone voice

Also, the new plane selection and camera mode in the hangar are much worse in the new update. To change liveries I have to go back to the plane selection now, because the button disappears. I cant view the big jets without the “fly by” camera anymore.

I didn’t yet since I try to collect impressions a bit longer before voting finally.
But again, it’s a poll on the forums. If it was a poll integrated in the sim where you get asked on launch, that’d be a different story.

Did you open a bug report for it?
I mean it’s an annoyance, but simply file a bug and get it fixed.

@gordoncreig You are not a lone voice. I had two of the best flights yesterday that I have had since I started flight simming back when SubLogic created flight simulator that Microsoft eventually purchased. It was responsive, the FPS was stellar, and my IFR flight was exactly what I expected. Thank you for your post as you voiced my exact thoughts.

7 Likes

I find it miles better. I get a 4x3 grid. I can see 12 aircraft at a time, so much easier than the horizontal format.

1 Like

Yes, the grid is an improvement indeed. But not when you selected the individual plane and want to tweak it. Also the livery thumbnails are way too small now.

That’s the number of users which play on STEAM servers, it doesn’t account for sold games outside of STEAM, e.g. Microshaft store and so on.

Also worth mentioning, I’m still waiting for the increase in player numbers of X-Plane11 given how many of those “back to X-Plane11 it is” whines we had here over tha last few days.

11 Likes

Yes, I agree with that, just hope anyone with an issue is feeding that back, more use than just venting.

2 Likes

I enjoy the smoothness and higher fps overall, although it’s not much higher than before after doubling the terrain detail and increasing render scale to 150 to get it looking a bit closer to SU4 again.

I’m not enjoying this new ATC bug where it keeps telling me I’m too high or too low with the correct barometric pressure set. But just fly a bit higher/lower than indicated to shut them up.

The colors still feel off after the update, generally a bit too bright compared to before and less shadows from clouds. More pop in, oh well, will get used to it. Less defined visuals from 38K ft, ehh it’s probably just hazy down there. I’ll keep flying and if I didn’t have 13,000 screenshots from before SU5 I wouldn’t know it used to look better :crazy_face:

It’s just kinda annoying we don’t have the choice. I could have set terrain detail to 50 and render scale to 80 to get the same performance improvement. The huge reduction in RAM use has no benefit with 32GB or more of physical ram.

1 Like

Expectations differ, as perception does.

I did a few comparisons today just to be safe for myself and MY perceptions.

What I see is, that the most of what you writing is right as long as you are “flying” in this funny mario cart/arcade/model airplane/third person/screenshot/orwhateverthecorrecttermmaybe mode.

Many of the issues wich are lamented here are much less prominent in this mode. And I must agree, while flying only in VR since months, I used this for some spectacular screenshoots too in the past.

But that doesnt feel very realistic or at least like a simulation.
It is more some sort of family fun you would otherwise have with your Nintendo switch.

As soon as you go to the cockpit view the visuals start to degrade in all the facets named here more than enough.

And going VR only makes matters worse.

Pop up ist much more prominent as it happens 3D and appears to be much closer through the now realistic perspective.
AA starts to shimmering.
Textures seems to be more smeared.
POI names and some controls are only rendered for one eye.
All the performance boost seen in pancake mode are blown away (beside improved smoothness!)
Image is eye hurting overexposured
Reflections are rendered with delay and move on head movement
Still a lot of CTD when switching to/from VR tnaf.

So funnily the least realistic view of all in this SIMULATION is the best looking, fastest and stable one and the most realistic one in this SIMULATION is looking worst, is slow and tends to CTD.

Expectations differ, as perception does. A rogue, who thinks…

2 Likes

They are WAY less defined than they were shortly before.

1 Like

Totally agree (actually much darker in the sim than the snapshot.
And this quiet little part of UK seems to have a fair bit of traffic.

1 Like

That SU5 has ruined my sim experience. All worked fine in SU4 … :wink:

1 Like

Keep in mind, people downloading or trying to are counted as players easily noted by it’s peak players of 61k in August 2020 on release when it was running average of 20k also the numbers have not trended up.

Looks like around 5k, lets hope X-Box at least doubles that.

sadverage

And lastly the majority of X-plane players by a huge margin are not on Steam.

2 Likes

Did you fill out the poll?

Yes . :+1:, Did so .

So - that’s Good!!

Thank you

Just for the record , I gave the update an overall score of 8/10. Points lost for the LOD issue . Happy with everything else ( improvement in performance etc ) .

2 Likes

Same here, for us with somewhat older PCs, things never looked and ran better. Can finally comfortably fly around big cities with 30FPS+ on Ultra preset and before that gave me 16fps and CTD

2 Likes

The people that actually visit and post on a forum are a small part of the total community themselves. Most players never do, especially if they are happy and have no complaints. So the number of repeated posts on this board is not really representative of the overall feelings of the playerbase.

Before people jump on me, I am not saying that the overall playerbase is content or annoyed. I’m simply saying that these forums alone are not representative either way.

He didn’t. He asked people not to bring the pitchforks. In other words, he’s asking people not to attack him just because he happens to have a positive personal opinion about MSFS. A reasonable request given the amount of “fighting” on these forums recently.

Me personally, I agree with most of what the OP wrote. I realise the sim still have a lot of issues to resolve, and can fully understand people’s frustrations at some of the changes. But there are still plenty of us that are enjoying the sim, and for whom the patch greatly improved the overall experience.

11 Likes