I miss flying MSFS

This is interesting, I think I observed this too

I switch on vsync to prevent heating up during loads. For me switching off vsync (I run 20) does not help for FPS. Most times I am under 20 fps anyway, vsync or no visync. The advantage of running vsync is your PC will be more silent during load (my CPU goes 100% and ventilator fan goes bzirk if I run in free sync mode… when I put the 20 in, it seems to behave more relaxed during loads.

1 Like

My system is very well cooled. I have a Ryzen 2700X with a Corsaid H100i water cooler, as well as 2 140mm fans in my case. I rarely break 50°C ever, even in the summer heat (don’t have AC at my house). Only my astrophotography tools could raise my temperatures, and considering the workload in the background, that’s no suprise. To see 80° from a single core being pegged is disturbing to say the least.

2 Likes

That only really keeps the GPU in check. I also have a 60Hz limit on MSFS in the nVidia panel for that same reason. I see no reason to have it cooking my GPU while running 190 fps in the menus.

Well, that was before SU3. I’m lucky to reach 15 fps in the menus and world map now.

Nono if you relax the GPU to 20 fps using vsync, it will also release CPU load, because CPU actions (like texture reads) are synchronized with GPU. If you let the framerate run free during loads, you’ll see a faster load, but also a higher CPU percentage. I tested it for FS on my machine after the GB update, I really need the vsync… I guess if you run high end graphics and a lot of RAM, you should be able to set vsync to 30, really glide steady and silent on the fan.

1 Like

I’ve tried:

• All online services disabled
  • all gound / AI traffic disabled.
  • all graphics options on lowest settings
  • 50% resolution scaling (720p)
  • V sync at 30 fps

And I still can’t break over 20 fps consistently.

CPU is still pegged cooking away at 80° with GPU under 10% usage. Not a single frame gained. Location in the world doesn’t matter. I can be at a custom airport in the middle of a PG area, or an autogen airport in the middle of an autogen region. Change of settings has zero impact on performance.

The only quality setting I can see having any effect is Terrain LOD. If I raise it above 80, performance decreases even more. Anything below 80 has no effect. Prior to the UK update, I was able to keep it at 200 without any impact on performance.

I have not “flown” on a regular basis since 21 February. I have taken the steps to attempt “patching” and “fixing” things, scouring this forum for answers. I do not fly the big tubes. I have a few GA aircraft that I fly, mostly on the West Coast of the U.S. with many flights remaining in the borders of California. I do not use custom liveries. I have a very small selection - mostly Garmin mods from the WT crew - in my community folder. I use Navigraph, and Little NavMap.

Since SU3 my community folder has been empty, I have not reloaded Navigraph, and have not opened Little NavMap. I deleted (uninstalled) Flight Sim, hunted down “leftovers” and deleted those, and reinstalled all 156GB this past Monday. Since then I have flown two test flights, and from that have determined that MSFS is no longer useable. This, after months and months of successful flying (nearly 400 hours.)

Nothing has been changed on my computer. I even have MS Win10 updates locked down in Group Policy: nothing gets updated without my explicit permission. So, I updated Win10 on Tuesday, and tried one last time. Same result as before the Win10 update.

I have removed my HOTAS and Joystick, returning them to the box they came in last March. I cancelled the 5600X that was slated to ship first week of April. I’m building a media computer instead.

To say I am disappointed doesn’t really describe how I’m feeling. I’m certainly not angry, and I am no longer frustrated because I’ve walked away. When things get sorted I’ll know - because I check the forum daily - but until then I’ll focus on something other than flight sim.

Maybe I’ll post a picture of the studio when it is complete. I used to be in the radio business (years and years ago) and want to replicate - in the 21st century - a small scale studio, and perhaps even do podcasting. Gotta have something to have fun with, right?

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Do you see differences dependent on scenery and altitude ? I recently found handcrafted scenery is actually cheaper than bing/AI stuff. Out Skerries I can run at 18, when I fly in Norway (lots of terrain and trees) I see it going down to 13-15. I’m getting used to 15, but down town London goes around 10 now and when I make a turn I see hickups. Load… is forever.

Also check external mods for gauges and ATC… in other threads I read people complaining about “slow planes”, eg TBM+G3000 slows down the external scenery (fps) because of the complicated cockpit panel depending on wasm and simconnect.

Scenery doesn’t matter. Nor does mods or liveries. I’ve done most of my testing and toubleshooting with a completely vanilla install (I reinstalled in a different folder) an empty community folder, as well as none of my marketplace 3rd party and optional content in the content manager (all payway airports and planes, as well as world updates not installed).

I’ve only one other tip… reboot before you start. When I kept my private laptop on all day (sleep) and open it up after work, it comes back with less mem. I suspect Windows 10 sleep is dreaming… FS runs faster if I have freshly booted up[ my laptop. Restarting my PC before I start the game gives me more memory… and it resets the content of my little graphics card (MX330).

I don’t think my computer’s ever been rebooted as often in the 2 years I’ve owned it as it has in the last 2 weeks. Normally I always leave it running, as I access it remotely pretty regularly. I’m constantly rebooting it between testing sessions.

You are watching task manager, sorted by CPU for “anything” that sneaks in there and may cause the issue?

For me “it was” MsMpEng.exe. I am back to flying 30fps (rural).

flightsimulator.exe is always at the top of the TM list. I also monitor processes using Resource Manager.

Ok… just restart your system see what happens. Really, I’ve seen 8fps on London after internetting and watching youtube for a while. I restart the thing and my 16Gb memory shines (2.8 in use instead of 4.8)

Same here it is always at the top (FilghtSimulator.exe). For some reason MsMpEng.exe would kick in and use from 2.4% to 6% CPU and the stuttering started. When MsMpEng.exe went back to a Very Low/Low status it worked fine. That is my experience.

You may have misread my post. I’ve been restarting it probably 10 times per session since SU3 where normally it’s always running. It makes no difference.

Addition: By adding MsMpEng.exe to my excluded list in Windows Defender, Security Settings, it is now working okay for me.

That’s a Windows Defender process. I had this issue way back where this was causing ridiculouly long load times. It turns out Defender was scanning every single thing in those folders when they were being accessed. I fixed that by adding the MSFS install folders and content paths (official and community) as exceptions for Defender. It hasn’t been an issue since.

Sorry you are having these issues. I’m fortunately running ok at the moment, no credit to me or my great computer skills :slight_smile: . I had a lot of problems after SU2, but ultimately got it sorted out. It is frustrating to go along for awhile ok then have it grind (relatively) to a halt. Perhaps it will improve as more updates come out with feedback from all of us.
How’s the weather for imaging lately?
Mark

Here is the post that I followed. Down towards the end: Think I may have found the reason for the huge spikes in FPS...and you're not gonna like it - #49 by MLTAVIATOR99