I think the most wanted thing should be DLSS and DX12. Nothing else. You can't enjoy your frame-eating airliner or helicopter or VR if you don't have at least 40 fps or similar

Yup.
Not even a 2070s is enough on high graphics without VR.
So the first thing we need is DLSS.

9 Likes

I have a 1080ti and have 50-60 fps, so I’m confused. I certainly wouldn’t argue with even better performance, but maybe you should upgrade your potato /shrug. Sims are historically heavy on resources.

2 Likes

you get 50 fps only when 3rd person view and in a320. and only if the scenery around is very simplistic.
2700s, 3700x.

go to tivat airport in a320 and tell me your fps when in cockpit. high end graphics

3 Likes

Not true. I have an i7-6700 and a 1070 card, and I can get 50 fps cockpit view. But that is doing cross-country VFR in a GA plane.

That’s a big thing people seem to be missing in talking about who gets great or poor frame rate. Majorly influenced by where you’re flying and the type of aircraft you’re in.

1 Like

go to tivat airport in a320 and tell me your fps when in cockpit. high end graphics

1 Like

You seem to be speaking for everyone here; I’m impressed, how are you able to do that? :thinking:

2 Likes

Btw, you shouldn’t be using ‘high end’ graphics with a 2070 - that is a very average card.

1 Like

A320 in-cockpit is more like 20, sometimes lower sometimes higher. Still doable, but could be better for sure.

No doubt that improved rendering performance would be very welcome. But it’s important to bear in mind that you can still get a very flyable experience depending on the aircraft.

1 Like

The airliner cockpits are definitely resource heavy and I hope they will be optimised, but I will wager you are using settings way too high for your system. When you set any game/sim up you take into consideration the ‘heaviest’ zones/areas, NOT the ‘lightest’. This is a mistake 99% of gamers make, and then complain about it.

1 Like

20 fps is not enjoyable for 95% of pilots.
@Spaceweed10 reducing graphics does not increase fps

2 Likes

When the sim only uses 4 CPU cores it’s definitely not his PC. A 2070 is enough for high end settings.

1 Like

iirc cpu is never the bottleneck in msfs. only the gpu.
thus dlss is required. dont forget 4k vr.
2k vr is not sharp enough. everything is blurry.
u need 4k with reverb for msfs.

This sim is very much CPU bound and not GPU, its only GPU bound when external views are used and CPU does not have to deal with cockpit simulation. The developer overlay states this clearly and tells you why its being slow.

5 Likes

what do you mean? the better the gpu the more fps we get.

I agree about cpu as well. I dont agree CPU is king or anything, but I was maxing my cpu during the sim, while gpu was at about75% on high end

3 Likes

Granted. It depended heavily on what your cpu is and what your gpu is. I had a very weak cpu and a reasonable gpu. It was i7 2600k and a 1060 card

Not universally true.

If you turn on the developer tools and switch on the frame rate counter it will indicate whether you are GPU-bound or CPU-bound. For many people, myself included, performance is limited by the main thread on the CPU. When that’s the case throwing a better graphics card at it probably won’t yield any improvement.

4 Likes

Yes, to an extent, I have 8086k @ 5ghz and a 2080ti @ 2100mhz, inside cockpit the GPU is sitting at 40% usage, outside (depending on what scenery) it can be upto 90%, but CPU is being utterly rammed. This is running @ 4k. HW unboxed did a video on this, its very much CPU bound.

4 Likes

@PeakPenny622983 If you notice there it says “limited by MainThread” which is your CPU performance. That is the biggest thing holding you back at the moment, with 37% more cycle time than your GPU.

Improving GPU would still be a performance boost, just not as big as the same relative gain in CPU performance would be.

Mean to comment on this earlier.

Interestingly enough I find that graphics settings have surprisingly little influence on frame rate here. Flew a 152 around Manhattan just for grins, got ~30 FPS on High
 then bumped up to Ultra and still got ~30. Don’t remember if I bumped down to Medium or not, but I recall there being surprisingly little sensitivity. I believe others have noticed this as well.

2 Likes