I want to thank all the freeware developers

It’s actually pretty amazing to consider all the hard work, time and effort that so many developers put into enhancing our enjoyment of the sim, all without asking for any remuneration besides completely optional donations.

So many of the payware developers have done amazing work as well, and I’ve found much of it well worth the money they charge as they practice their profession (or hobby.)

I salute you all.

29 Likes

I agree too. I live close to KKLS and it’s a great improvement to the default.

1 Like

I remember the days of FS9 when freeware planes were much easier to build and there was a wide variety to choose from on Avsim and Flightsim(dot)com. Developers like Mike Stone were stalwarts of the industry back then. It’s good to see a few more freeware planes finally coming out for the current platform. Even if I never fly them, I try to download each one just to boost the numbers as a way to show support. I’ve even clicked on a few of those “buy me a cup of coffee” links.

2 Likes

I would like to give my heartfelt thanks to Andres3d for Airport lights, Arno of (Model converter X), Jon (ADE), Rob Richardson (One of the greatest FSX developer), Don Grovestine who is sadly no longer with us for AIFP, Craig Richardson for all the nice FSX freeware, The great Tom Gibson of Cal Classic amongst many other top freeware developers, too many names to mention.
I will always be forever grateful to freeware developers who give their time freely to provide us with more functionality and enjoyment with our sim.
I also like to thank the Aces team (FSX) and Asobo studios (fs2020) for the SDK and Microsoft for allowing freeware developers access to some of the components in the SDK.

1 Like

I wish they could bring over some of the products to Xbox

I think the reason is or was, correct me if I am wrong, the Xbox is a closed system. To develop for Xbox, a large amount of pound/dollars/pesos/taka may need to be given to MS.

1 Like

The real issue is that Microsoft can’t have a free category (at least currently). To put the addon into the store so it can be douwnloaded takes Microsoft personnel to encrypt, package, etc. So they insist a minimum of $5 for any package. You can have sales on those, but still, the base value has to be $5 or more in the store to pay for the Microsoft handling.

I assume for FS2024 they are coming up with a different mechanism to deliver freeware.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that.

People often forget that there is absolutely nothing that appears on your computer screen (yes even the dreaded blue screen of death) that a human being hasn’t programmed to be there. However it is very rare for users to remember that. I think lots of people who work in the IT business are quite use to hearing only complains.
Compliments are rare. Just read this forum, so thanks for the thread.

1 Like