I was super vocal about CTDs, everything has changed. (And what I did)

So I’ve made multiple posts describing and complaining about CTDs. I was very vocal then, and I must be continue to be vocal now that my situation has changed. I have finally reached a point where for the last two weeks I have had ZERO CTDs. This streak started after the second Hotfix, in combination with some stuff I had to do. I know that CTDs are still very much a thing, but I also know that they are almost all caused by addons and outside influences (Asobo I’m still looking at you!). Here’s what I had to do to get here.

ADDONS ADDONS ADDONS:
Yes this sucks, but you ABSOLUTELY need to get rid of all addons (*THIS INCLUDES ADDONS FROM THE MSFS MARKETPLACE), at least for the short term. For me I ran into two issues which were quietly causing crashes.

• 1. Because I was using an addon file linker. For whatever reason, the symbolic links themselves were being treated as hidden files. So every time I was clearing my whole Community folder, I did not know that the “symbolic links” remained. So any addons which were indeed causing crashes were secretly still being loaded. Once I discovered this I deleted them and this helped.

• 2. The second issue related to addons was a file that MSFS keeps which has a running list of all addons you’ve added. I found that even when you delete addons from your community folder, these addons stay listed in this file and it may be causing issues. This file is (C:\Users[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content.xml) So if you clear your Community folder, be sure to delete this too.

Negative interactions with Windows & Windows settings
Another issue was the “Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling” option in windows. THIS MUST BE TURNED OFF. In order to find it, search for “Graphic Settings” in your windows search bar.
Windows itself might be an issue, Having tried the latest builds there were some issues I know were caused by using a BETA version of Windows 11. I have two similarly built PCs (Both new) and on the Win11 PC I ran into an issue where resources seemed to not be managed well which resulted in repeated BSODs while flying. I confirmed the issue by reverting my second pc to Win 10 and the issue never occurred again. I should be clear this could also be caused by the way Win11 was interacting with Nvidia’s drivers or any other component for that matter and might not be Win11’s direct fault. Side note of course update all your drivers!

Outside software interactions
It has be reported that multiple outside apps like Spotify,various anti viruses, and things like Discord can cause crashes. For now I highly recommend that you severely reduce applications that are running in the background. This is good advice in general, but for now, if you are getting CTDs, make sure to do this.

A320NX
For a while there the A320NX was causing crashes. Whats worse is that the store downloaded version was guilty as well. They have since fixed this issue and the current version (0.6.3) available through the FBW downloader is crash free. But if you are not sure about version numbers, you can just steer clear until its back up in the MSFS marketplace.

Peripheral and related plugin
While I can not say for sure if these are directly causing crashes. Removing plugins that are used to make specialized configurations for your peripherals in sim might be a good idea to try if you are experiencing CTDs. Think axis and ohs.

Extra side note on addons
People new to flight sim should also take note that even airplane liveries can cause negative interactions with the sim as well as the airplanes which use them. There are many documented cases where, say, a livery can cause an airplane to not function normally. When dealing with addon aircraft or systems, be sure to take note of any instructions which need to be followed in order to avoid conflict.

A combination of all these things has gotten me to the point where I have seen no CTDs, not one. And I was one of the ones who literally could not make 1 flight without getting a CTD. Remember NO ADDONS, absolutely NONE. Once you get to a point where you can do 3-4 flights with no CTDs, then is when you can consider bringing them back. And I would only do so 1-3 at a time so if I do start to CTD again I can narrow it down way easier.

To Asobo:
Since SU5 you have made good progress. The performance upgrade is no doubt AMAZING, to put it lightly. But you guys gotta fix how prone this game is to CTDs. I know you guys are already on it so I won’t go on and on. But something definitely has to be done about how easily addons can cause CTDs. I understand that is hard bc of the sandboxing which might be required, but I have confidence that you guys can get there! Also, thank you, and Microsoft so deeply for giving SO MANY ppl who otherwise would never have the opportunity to fly in real life, a chance to do so in such an immersive way, truly.

My specs:
EVGA FTW 3 Ultra 3080
i9 9900k
64GB of memory
Game on NVMe SSD drive
Win 10

39 Likes

Good suggestions although, ive had this on for some time without issues, as well as Resizable BAR.
I might be jumping to conclusions here but i have noticed that the issues seem to be more heavily weighed towards Intel chips, maybe it has something to do with all of the exploit patches which change how prediciton works ect… literally no idea how that works or could interact but just something to consider.

1 Like

I’ve had Re-bar on as well. To be clear, this could be a result of how that specific feature is interacting with my exact configuration or an individual component I have. But I can say it was definitely causing crashes as it was the last thing I altered right before the crashes completely stopped. So because of this I definitely had to add it to the list of things I did in order to troubleshoot.

2 Likes

So true, and what makes trouble shooting on PC difficult, really good suggestions though.

1 Like

Thx, and thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Great post. One thing I’d add to your list is that marketplace purchases ARE ADD-ONS TOO! It is easy to think problems arise just from the community folder, but not so. For example, until Orbx update it, I cannot load a flight near London if I have the Orbx London Landmarks pack (marketplace purchase) installed. This isn’t universally true - others report no issues with that version or the Orbx bought version.

Anyway, general point - if you empty the community folder and still have issues, clear out your marketplace purchases through the content manager too and see if that helps.

4 Likes

Great post Lazer, nice to see someone actually working through their issues and reporting back to the forum instead of just screaming at Asobo. I’m sure some of your solutions will be of use to those having problems. Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks, yes I specifically made this post because so often ppl have trouble, seek help, fix it, but don’t report back. Which creates the illusion that stuff never gets fixed.

1 Like

Yes! This is why I mentioned even the A320nx from the marketplace caused issues, but I’ll def clarify bc that’s a big point.

1 Like

Thanks for the post.

One thing that would REALLY help not only the users getting CTDs but Asobo and MS themselves is to output a log file like Xplane (and many other complex software packages) do. At least there is a individual case report and a set of data points (assuming many send these in) to allow them to track down the crashes - one of the hardest things to do since they can be frustratingly hard to recreate without access to the specific environments in which they occur.

That should be added to the wishlist IMO

3 Likes

I infinitely agree! I’m sure they haven’t done it yet because they are seeing crash info on the backend and don’t necessarily want to fully work on a public facing bug feedback system till their workload is a bit lighter. Specifically because implementing something like that can be VERY intensive development-wise.

1 Like

Have Asoba confirmed that they don’t collect crash reports, that would be extremely odd. Are we sure it’s just not done in the background?

Just an observation about some these items:
delete content.xml
move community folder content
delete marketplace items
switch off or on a windows setting

This could be all managed programmatically rather than putting users through hours of painful debugging, if indeed it is required to use the application as intended.

FWIW what seems to have helped tremendously on my PC is setting FPS to 30 max in nvidia settings.
Before I did that I had CTDs 90% of the time.

Could be a coincidence though, who knows.

Have Asoba confirmed that they don’t collect crash reports, that would be extremely odd. Are we sure it’s just not done in the background?

I can say that I definitely have heard (If I recall correctly they mentioned it during a stream) that they are collect crash reports on the back end. They just don’t have front-facing error reporting for us.

As always. Because there are no ways for users to see logs, everyone is guessing as to what is causing it. Aside from directly reproducible bugs where you can see cause and effect directly.

1 Like

Gee, I wonder why? Maybe they feel simmers/devs aren’t qualified?

They don’t even have them for 3rd party developers to help them make their addon mods more stable for users even though it has been requested.

Add a way to view CTD (crash) logs to identify the cause

Good post. Some observations on my end…

I have two systems running MSFS 2020.

One has Windows 11, an 8700 K, RTX 3070, 64 GB Ram, 4K Ultra Settings.

The other has Windows 10, a 10900 K, RTX 3090, 64 GB Ram, 4K Ultra Settings.

Both run flawlessly with the A32 NX Dev version. Performance is excellent.

I also have resize bar enabled on both systems after a VBIOS update on both GPUs - no problems.

The only items in my community folder are:
A32NX Dev version
Toolbar Pushback
Shift Z Stats
No Handle Bar

If you are thinking it, you can be sure one of their developers is thinking the same thing. Which means that clearly there is or was an obstacle in the way which prevented them from implementing it. Either limited time, direction telling them otherwise or something similar. At this point considering that they said they can see back-end data on crashes, I’m sure they’re kind of stuck in a weird place now, where they don’t necessarily need players to submit logs, putting that on pause. I agree and see how even if that’s the case it remains a crucial tool for addon devs.

1 Like

Yes, I’m not quite sure why Resizable bar keeps coming up bc I didn’t even mention it as a suspected CTD cause :woman_shrugging:t5:. In fact I haven’t even seen complaints about it in the community.

Orbx have released updates for London City and the Landmarks pack in the last few days. If you bought direct, you can download from Orbx Central, otherwise I assume they will make it to the Marketplace in due course.

The updates seem to have fixed the problem for me.

2 Likes