I won't be fooled again

They are that big because of a few reasons:

• MSFS package compression wasn’t that good
  • The package needs to contain each and every texture at full resolution and every model at full detail. Doesn’t matter if it’s for the interiors, a sign at the other end of the airfield or for something right in front of you.
  • The package often includes other things like manuals, maps and charts

So you’ll probably have to wait for just a few 100 mb to download before you are placed onto the tarmac of a complex airport. Flying over at a few 1000 feet should be way way less.

But if you are on a metered connection or on a low bandwidth connection I can see the problem. I really hope they will allow for some way of pre-downloading stuff for those people.

What you said about FS4, awesome SIM. Start over without losing your flight and the VR is second to none. Cant beat German engineering and only about 12 people working on an developing it. Imagine that, smaller staff, better results…who knew lol :wink:

1 Like

a fool and his money are soon parted

idiom

—used to say that a foolish person spends money too quickly on unimportant things

2 Likes

Agreed! It’s not perfect, but no software is. MSFS is a great software and I’m very happy that Microsoft started producing sims again. Remember for how many years we kept putting bandaids on FSX because Microsoft decided to stop making flight sims? I am SO happy that they’ve come back into this industry and I’ll continue to support them through purchasing their software.

7 Likes

Never rely on reviews that have a vested interest. All the creators that were treated to the exclusive by Microsoft are hardly going to say anything negative now are they. They will say I’m independent and say what I think but you can find holes in all of that. Early release aircraft and scenery fall into the same category. They don’t want to screw their relationship with devs so what they put out reflects this. Consciously or not the bias is there. Take it all with a large pinch of salt and judge for yourself.

4 Likes

Like I mentioned before to many people. MSFS 2020 was based of a 15 year old code from FSX. It took Asobo a while to undo all that spaghetti code to get it to work on todays hardware and up to standards

Pair that with the fact that 2020 was Asobos first huge sim they were taking on, they were learning a lot in the process. Now for 2024, Asobo has learned a lot over the years with 2020 and thanks to 2020, they now had a more modern code to base 2024 off. Seeing how they are also more careful with how they release their updates making sure they are smooth by delaying them as long as necessary. I do not see MSFS 2024 being a repeat of 2020 on how it launched.

2 Likes

They have been saying the the flight physics has been drastically improved, feeling on par or even surpassed to X-Plane blade element theory. Ground handling has seen like it has been majorly improved based of the video, lighter client, better performance based on the new things they added like a better memory allocation system, all the improvements that Working Title has brought will be in 2024, the new atmospheric modeling system, the increase in weather dynamics and so much more. It is totally okay if it doesn’t appeal to you and 2020 is still amazing, but for me as a real world pilot from what I have seen there are stark differences in the sim that warrant a upgrade for me at least.

Also for ATC, they did say they wanted to improve the flight planner first before working on ATC and it makes total sense, why would they add a improved ATC system if we can not utilize it well allowing us to file our flight plans that specifies our departure and arrivals, SIDS and STARS, route, altitudes, squawk codes, etc. All I know is ATC rework is coming soon as they said.

Well, who would want to focus on any less than positives aspects of 2024?
They got invited to the big reveal, they got to play the game now, they got content for their channel and with that comes a lot of views and comments, and 2024 is a lovely looking game, just like 2020. Plus, lol, it would be rude to focus on the less than perfect things at this time. It’s like getting invited to a baby birthday party and talking about how not perfect the kid is… lol.
This is the honeymoon period for the people reviewing and showing the game off.
Once it’s released in Nov, i am sure the little warts and issues will be found, known, and discussed.
I have 2020 which is fun, so i will wait to see if it’s worth the $79, or I will wait until next year (late summer or fall) when/if i upgrade my pc. But in truth, i play a lot of older games, which my pc can pretty much max out, so if i don’t get 2024, I will wait even longer to get my new pc.
Maybe i will get MSFS 2028 when it has full VR, AI atc, voice enabled tech so i can speak to the AI atc, and AI passengers who will give me real time feedback as i fly them where I take them… Like a2a’s Heidi, but she will be AI driven so i will be able to carry on a “real” conversation with her.

But without the physical feel of movement, G-force, shakes, it’s hard to really know if it’s feels more real, and since I am not a real world pilot i would not know. So for me, as long as i can fly the plane by the “numbers” or close to them, i will be happy. As long as the 172 doesn’t fly at 500 knots while i am going straight and level, etc.
If they could do real feedback of the controls, that would be a great improvement, and i would pay twice, today, for msfs 2024. I want to feel the forces on the yoke as if i was really controlling a small plane. I want force feedback natively to the game.
Not just the controller shaking and buzzing, but real control surfaces feel on the yoke.
I want native VR in the game.
I want AI tech.
This is what i want the developers to work on…

2 Likes

I already forgot the $130 spent for MSFS PD yesterday, dinner tonight cost more. I would venture to say $130 for FS gives about $50k worth of enjoyment over 4 years(probably lowballing it). Heh, 3 trips for the family to Disney since 2020, I don’t look forward to Disney world when the wife takes the kids somewhere for a few hours. It may actually be the cheapest per hour enjoyable thing I can possibly imagine, I think it even beats out the leaf blower.

2 Likes

Heh the $140 game isn’t the part you need, it’s the other $20,000+ in motion rig and top hardware to run it you’re looking for. Sensation of flight doesn’t come through a yoke.

Former F-16 / F-18 / Airline pilot CW Lemoine made clear in this ‘first look’ video what he likes and does not like about the new sim.

He also talks about how no simulator - consumer, commercial, or military - can replicate the experience of flight.

2 Likes

I mostly fly GA aircraft fairly low, plus choppers and gliders, all in VR, so for me the scenery upgrades are well worth it, especially as VR will no longer be a half baked add on and has quad view dynamic foveated rendering in the pipeline (which greatly increases FPS in VR). Besides, I’m not short of funds and it’s a hobby I enjoy. As soon as its out on Steam I’ll get it.

1 Like

I’m not buying day 1 unless there are significant, more detailed / less fluffy reviews including what hardware people are running on & how the real world performance is.

There’s 1 mitigating factor here - if it’s not great on day 1, you can still have 2020 installed & run that until 2024 improves, but if the reviews come in bad I’m happy to wait & keep running 2020. Everyone is different, but I don’t need the animals, career mode etc. So if the actual sim gameplay is better I’ll move, if it needs time to bake I’ll wait.

4 Likes

sounds fair enough
i will probably buy day 1 and keep both of them installed, and see which one i end up using more.
if i find myself using only 2024… that will be it, if i find myself going back to 2020 all the time…well… i guess we’ll see how things turn out

I agree! I hope will not need all the add-on fixes! Water, trees, altitude and airport vehicles,

It’s based on what we have now, it’s not a from scratch project. So it will almost certainly be an improvement over what we have now. And i would be surprised if all these third party add-ons in their own marketplace stop working. I think we can just copy over our community folder.

Nothing, mate, nothing beats out the leaf blower. It even allows for extremely realistic CFD simulations with airplane models!

MSFS 2020 and MSFS 2024 will share some things. The world data will be shared. There will be better ground resolutions in many places.

But the better physics will be in 2024. The 3D trees and ground will only be 2024. The EFB in every plane will only be 2024. Seasons will only be 2024. I could go on.

So no, the two versions will not be the same. MSFS 2020 will immediately see some improvements on release of 2024, but not all features will come to 2020

I’d be very surprised if out of the box FS2024 is the same bug ridden mess FS2020 was at launch. I suspect what will make things unstable very quickly is if people start pilling in their FS2020 add ons without individually testing them.

My rule for FS2024 will be to keep the community folder empty for the first few weeks or even months to let the sim settle in free from third party stuff that may or may not be contributing to instability issues.

1 Like