ICAO / EU ATC Phraseology Mod - Version 2.0.3 (21-SEP-2021)

ICAO / EU ATC PHRASEOLOGY MOD

BACKGROUND

As a real world airline captain, former flight instructor & radiotelephony instructor I know all about the importance of proper ATC phraseology and became quite bothered with the MSFS implementation of it. Therefore I have completely re-written the ATC text-to-speech to reflect correct ICAO phraseology for both VFR & IFR flights. I’ve included some Eurocontrol recommendations but the overall differences from ICAO are minor.

I have reached the limit now what I can achieve with the current ATC system as it is lacking options and features to make the phraseology 100% correct, but overall I think it is a big improvement over the default ATC. Items which I could not include due to missing functionality are still included in the text in between brackets in the ATC window, just not in the text-to-speech.

NOTE: The ATC voices in the above video sound like kindergarden because I’ve used the WINDOWS OFFLINE voices instead of AZURE for shooting the video, this has nothing to do with the Mod itself! Pictures and videos are multiple iterations old, the final product has much improved since!

RADIOTELEPHONY MANUAL

I’ve included my 100+ page complete guide to proper radiotelephony! I wrote the first version of this years ago and it has been used extensively in real world flight training. Its part of a way bigger project I’ve been working on during my “COVID off time”. It includes tons of real world examples!

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT:
1 Create a back-up of the en-US.locPak file located in the fs-base folder before installing this Mod!
2 Mod will be overwritten every update / hotfix, make a new back-up of the en-US.locPak file, reinstall.
3 Reinstalling the Mod or when installing a newer version, first revert back to the original en-US.locPak.

Big thanks to @Usoska for simplifying the installation process!

DOWNLOAD LINK:

After downloading unzip and execute the .bat file. Follow the onscreen instructions to locate and select the fs-base folder. Make sure hidden folders are displayed as some folders may be hidden and therefore not selectable using the installer.

NOTE: the name you insert will be used as pilot-in-command name at uncontrolled aerodromes.

LIST OF CHANGES

• Radar now clears for instrument approach instead of tower.
  • Vectors for approach deleted (MSFS currently doesn’t give vectors).
  • RNAV approach changed into RNP approach.
  • Runway Condition Report added to ATIS.
  • Link with alternative installation method added.

Any questions or suggestions please comment below!

Kind regards,

Nijntje

88 Likes
ATC in other language
Text editable ATC phrases
ATC Guidance for the beginner
ATC using “decimal” when giving freq. change
What is going on with live weather?
ATC Incorrect Phraseology
ICAO Phraseology including hPa and correct transition altitudes coming?
What is a good ATC replacement software for MSFS 2020?
Summary of missing items in MSFS, important to realistically simulate flight
Detach ground services from ATC system
Text-to speech setting
ATC third party
How simmers get IFR knowledge and skills?
Option to NOT automatically load route into GPS or FMS
ATC nagging to exit the runway,
ATC nagging to exit the runway,
FS2020 "PRO" needed?
Which is the Best Offline ATC software/add on?
ATC Simplification
Ground services to be instant and not talked in ATC
Offline ATC improvements
"1" being pronounced "O" "N" "E" bug is back. certain voice-overs are once again phonetically spelling out numbers
Spanish voices please
What is wrong with ATC Specifically
ATC needs looooooots of work
ATC Guidance for the beginner
Real World Pilots, please state your feedback about the flight model
What is wrong with ATC Specifically
What does 'Maintain present heading and altitude' actually mean?
Full Flight Simulators vs Game Simulators
Which is the Best Offline ATC software/add on?
ATC System & Phraseology Discussion
ATC System & Phraseology Discussion
Remove "Good Day"
ATC third party
Nobody like default ATC IFR
FBW Fly By Wire a320 ILS questions
Offline ATC improvements
Discussion: March 18th, 2021 Development Update

“continue as planned” needs to go ASAP! Good work, will look forward to this.

2 Likes

As planned or as filed is not gonna be solved by simply changing the text to speech, same as the inHg vs hPa and transition altitudes. There are limitations unfortunately…

“ready for DEPARTURE”

2 Likes

Also have to get rid of the annoying type B callsign abbreviations, in Europe those are never used unless there is chance of callsign confusion.

1 Like

You might want to coordinate with:

Furthermore, please allow me suggesting this: since each update might change the ATC phraseology file semantics and/or entries, you might want to publish the mod in a “scriptable” form (say PowerShell script) doing find/replace into the content so that whatever the next version update, most of the mod entries can slip back into it.

3 Likes

Well yeah, lots of work in progress on that end. I’ve been a RTF instructor so I’ll just change it how I think it should be correct and then let everybody shoot at it.

1 Like

Great to hear someone is working on this! Australia/Asia/China phraseology I can help with (in English of course).

3 Likes

Well, good luck with the project, any improvements are better than the current system! Cheers.

I will make an initial version and then everybody can shoot at it.

1 Like

“climb to altitude” could also be “initial climb”. I’m sure I hear that way more often on live radio.

“for taxi contact ground” is something that I probably never heard on live ATC radio but rather just “contact ground”.

I’m also quite sure that “after departure contact” is somewhat wrong as you would actually call departure sector during departure.

1 Like

Officially it is “climb to altitude … ft” or “climb FL …”. Normally this is part of the SID anyway and delivery will never give you any other initial altitude, tower might.

After start-up some airports hand-off immediatelly to ground this way, in FS2020 there are two options, one of which I indeed used “contact ground” the other “for taxi contact ground”. The latter is used to stay on delivery / apron frequency until ready to taxi.

The whole contact after departure never happens in real life. I noticed that even though the frequency is given during en-route clearance ATC still hands you over so I’ll delete it entirely.

I’m just saying that if I would make an ATC phraseology mod I’d concentrate on crunching messages down. I personally would prefer “everyday” shortened phraseology over “official” but much longer messages as they would clog up the frequency easily, especially in crowded areas.

Just listen to all the ATC recordings on channels like VASaviation - controllers rarely stick to the official phraseology 1:1 so going down that road would actually make such a mod more realistic.

Just my two knots.

1 Like

Jup, I’ve been a RTF instructor so I tend to stay close to the official phraseology but I’ll make some short cuts here and there. I’m multiple iterations further compared to the photo I added yesterday.

1 Like

Do you have any knowledge on how to do this? I have no programming experience.

I’ve changed this to “continue as cleared” and “flight planned route”, its the best I can do.

Implemented :+1:

2 Likes

Just to find a way to distribute it now, I think I have something workable :+1:

2 Likes

Looking forward to trying it out and I’m sure many in the community will be grateful for your efforts! Cheers.

Check your DM :wink:

1 Like